LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Updated control arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-21 | 04:10 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Default Updated control arms

I remember seeing a thread about some updated front control arms that lasted longer than the OEM and I think it was here on CL. I had it bookmarked but on that computer the hard drive failed when the lithium battery went awry (It just smouldered thankfully).

Do any of you remember that article? I think it had a full list of updated parts. I've tried different search terms but have not found it using the forum search tool.

Thank you in advance,
Jeffrey
The following users liked this post:
barloewen (11-15-21)
Old 11-13-21 | 05:10 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Well I found the Youtube video that I was led to and here it is. Hopefully it helps more than just me. It's a multi-part series.

Old 11-14-21 | 12:44 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Originally Posted by Protholl
Well I found the Youtube video that I was led to and here it is. Hopefully it helps more than just me. It's a multi-part series.
Here's the corresponding thread: 07-17 LS460 Control Arms All Interchange: Videos Inside - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

And a couple more that reference the newer OEM lower rearward arms for RWD models: Polished the Revised Control Arms - Lower Rearward - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
DIY LS460 engine mounts and control arm bushings replacement - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Protholl (11-14-21)
Old 11-18-21 | 09:11 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

I have a 2007 LS 460 and put in the updated arms last month with no problem. They seem to be performing fine. Have been getting the OEM arms from Impex Japan for high hundreds, low two hundreds range.
48640-50131
48620-50131
Protholl (11-18-21)
Old 11-19-21 | 04:27 AM
texas008
Advanced

Originally Posted by scutch
I have a 2007 LS 460 and put in the updated arms last month with no problem. They seem to be performing fine. Have been getting the OEM arms from Impex Japan for high hundreds, low two hundreds range.
48640-50131
48620-50131
did you get a front wheel alignment after the CA replacement? thanks,
Old 11-19-21 | 04:46 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

It is worth noting that there are superseded OEM arms and there are OEM arms from later later years that officially do not fit but actually do.
scutch (11-19-21)
Old 11-19-21 | 12:56 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by texas008
did you get a front wheel alignment after the CA replacement? thanks,
I have only done the shocks and the two main lower control arms, with the new design for the 2012s and newer. My guy said he tested the alignment and it was fine afterwards. It was fine when I drove it.

I am doing the rest of the front control arms next, and those godforsaken ball joints that you have to buy the whole steering knuckle for to get OEM. I have attached my invoices. I am paying $122 for shipping on this latest order from Japan because those steering knuckles are heavy. It has been more like $40-$60 in the past. I have no idea why the upper control arms are more expensive than lower. you'd expect the opposite.

Last edited by scutch; 11-19-21 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-19-21 | 02:09 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

I remember seeing a thread about some updated front control arms that lasted longer than the OEM and I think it was here on CL. I had it bookmarked but on that computer the hard drive failed when the lithium battery went awry (It just smouldered thankfully).

Do any of you remember that article? I think it had a full list of updated parts. I've tried different search terms but have not found it using the forum search tool.

Thank you in advance,
Jeffrey
Control Arms were updated from Lexus to include more polyurethane instead of full rubber. Aftermarket parts have done this but also but not of the same quality. I went with Febest. I do remember several long posts on control arms from years ago but dont remember ones that lasted longer than OEM bc they were better designed.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3GSShoe:
dfkd (12-03-21), Protholl (11-19-21)
Old 11-19-21 | 03:37 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

what site are you buying this stuff from

I have only done the shocks and the two main lower control arms, with the new design for the 2012s and newer. My guy said he tested the alignment and it was fine afterwards. It was fine when I drove it.

I am doing the rest of the front control arms next, and those godforsaken ball joints that you have to buy the whole steering knuckle for to get OEM. I have attached my invoices. I am paying $122 for shipping on this latest order from Japan because those steering knuckles are heavy. It has been more like $40-$60 in the past. I have no idea why the upper control arms are more expensive than lower. you'd expect the opposite.

Old 11-19-21 | 04:06 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

I am using https://en.impex-jp.com/
Impex Japan.

A company in Japan run by Russians. This next one will be my 3rd purchase from them. The process takes about 2-3 weeks till you get parts in hand but they are OEM and 40-60% cheaper than I can find them in the US.

After I get this next shipment, I was going to write up a quick message on them because you can save money, but their website and process is fairly confusing at first. Thankfully, they are good at answering questions by email.

Last edited by scutch; 11-19-21 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-19-21 | 04:27 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

Thank you in advance,
Jeffrey
At first I decided that I would get the OEM bottom control arms and aftermarket upper ones. But when I got the 3 Mevotech arms from Carid and compared them to one of the OEM uppers I got on Ebay, I decided to just bite the bullet and get the OEM. The rubber boots over the ball joints seemed flimsier, and when I moved the ball joints around in a circle the OEM ones were smooth flowing and firmer and the Mevotech ones had some resistance at some angles. Not very scientific, just my observations. I just only want to do this job once for the life of my car, now at 175k miles. Hoping OEM will make the difference, and making sure my mechanic torques the control arm bolts in driving position, and not with the wheels hanging down when on a lift. That has been mentioned in a few posts as to why some of the control arms fail quickly after replacement.
Protholl (11-19-21)
Old 11-19-21 | 04:30 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Did you also order new wheel hub assemblies, or are you planning to use the old ones?
Old 11-19-21 | 04:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

At first I decided that I would get the OEM bottom control arms and aftermarket upper ones. But when I got the 3 Mevotech arms from Carid and compared them to one of the OEM uppers I got on Ebay, I decided to just bite the bullet and get the OEM. The rubber boots over the ball joints seemed flimsier, and when I moved the ball joints around in a circle the OEM ones were smooth flowing and firmer and the Mevotech ones had some resistance at some angles. Not very scientific, just my observations. I just only want to do this job once for the life of my car, now at 175k miles. Hoping OEM will make the difference, and making sure my mechanic torques the control arm bolts in driving position, and not with the wheels hanging down when on a lift. That has been mentioned in a few posts as to why some of the control arms fail quickly after replacement.
Mevotech is very bad quality wise and is peak " Chineseium" from my observation and personal annoyance with customers who try to order it.
Old 11-19-21 | 04:35 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Megazip is ran by russian speaking people as well. I had no complains about their service or products. I believe, Amayama is also ran by russian speaking people. However, both sell OEM japanese parts out of Japan and Emirates.

Last edited by Anfanger; 11-19-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-19-21 | 05:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Megazip is ran by russian speaking people as well. I had no complains about their service or products. I believe, Amayama is also ran by russian speaking people. However, both sell OEM japanese parts out of Japan and Emirates.
I have literally NEVER had any issues whatsoever with Russian run business for cars, guns, full power IR lasers, machine tools, or anything else I've needed/wanted.

They are unusually professional from every experience I have had. Sometimes they can be slow but I have never once had an issue with receiving exactly what it is I bought in perfect condition/exactly as described.
scutch (11-19-21)

Quick Reply: Updated control arms