LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Snow performance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 06:40 AM
pojoandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Snow performance?

This past May we moved from our 2005 LS 430 with 225K miles to a 2016 LS 460L AWD. The 430 was helpless in the snow but we are hopeful that the 460 AWD will be a big improvement. Please share your experiences...thanks.
Old 12-04-21, 06:52 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 874 Likes on 646 Posts

I have not driven RWD in snow but AWD works great with right tires. I have driven and still driving the car in NH, VT and NY in winter and it felt much better compared to my previous car which was RAV4 AWD.
Old 12-04-21, 07:08 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,187 Likes on 883 Posts

I must be the only person with a 430 that does great in snow......but I'm running Michelin CCs

If you put those on an AWD 460 it would be an absolute monster in snow, short of high centering you won't get stuck
Old 12-04-21, 08:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

The AWD LS460 is a beast in the snow. Even the RWD 460 is a big improvement over the LS430 in the snow.
Old 12-04-21, 09:48 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

With a set of good tires, the car does great in the snow. I have 2013 LS AWD with nokian all weather tires. It did great with michelin's too.
Old 12-05-21, 06:52 AM
Fastnlight
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 2009 460 AWD base a few months ago and plan on driving it to ski resorts. Good to hear it does well. Getting Michelin Cross Climate 2’s put on it tomorrow
Old 12-05-21, 07:26 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastnlight
I bought a 2009 460 AWD base a few months ago and plan on driving it to ski resorts. Good to hear it does well. Getting Michelin Cross Climate 2’s put on it tomorrow
I just took my CC2's off and threw on the Blizzaks a few weeks ago.
Old 12-05-21, 08:27 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 200 Posts

I have driven Corvettes and Z28’s thru the Utah snow for years with out any issues. The biggest difference between a good or bad car in the snow is generally always the tires. The inherent design advantages or disadvantages can be overcome with good or bad tires. I have had to run studded winter tires on some cars. Anything that’s designed for fun in the summer is usually poor in the snow. But 4 good winter tires, and a good deal of caution will get most cars thru all but the worst blizzards. There is usually a point when the snow gets so deep that the car is either pushing snow and creating a barrier to your progress or sometimes the snow gets so deep and heavy that your car almost becomes high centered/ sliding over it. This Carrie’s some of the cars weight and leaves the tires struggling to propel the car forward. I can usually get around fine until the snow is so deep I run into one of these issues. They will slow down the best awd vehicles.
My rwd GS400 with a set of Blizzak tires gets me around all winter without much drama
Old 12-05-21, 10:29 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

I have a rwd been driving in the snow with snow tires no issues. I only encountered problems in deep deep snow and packed snow ice where any car would have had an issue. It’s probably a good idea for me to get traction board for those situations and snow chains just in case…. Haven’t yet tho lol so fingers crossed
Old 12-06-21, 01:54 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

I had absolutely ZERO issues driving my LS460 RWD through five New Hampshire winters WITH SNOW TIRES, without them? I couldn’t get out of my driveway. They made that much of a difference for me...and then that excellent traction control/stability assist could just take over and handle almost anything I threw at it. Drove right through snow storms, just about anything except once I had a hard time going over a hill when I discovered the ENTIRE other side was ICE. That was scary, but I’m not sure AWD would have faired better.

I can only imagine how well their AWD vehicles are in the winter because the RWD was shockingly good for me.
The following users liked this post:
Nospinzone (12-09-21)
Old 12-06-21, 01:19 PM
Fastnlight
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by THE_CEO
I just took my CC2's off and threw on the Blizzaks a few weeks ago.
I’m lucky I don’t live in the snow. Only time I deal with snow is when I ski. Dedicated winter tire won’t work for me. How do you like your CC’s?
Old 12-08-21, 02:28 PM
roshko
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I found my LS, which is an L and AWD, is very good in the snow. The Bridgestone turanzas are pretty good in the snow for an all season. Take in account it is a heavy car. I use blizzaks and they are great. Its helpful to raise the height of the car if the snow gets deep also. Like others said in this thread, tires are the most important.
Old 12-09-21, 08:15 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I had absolutely ZERO issues driving my LS460 RWD through five New Hampshire winters WITH SNOW TIRES, without them? I couldn’t get out of my driveway. They made that much of a difference for me...and then that excellent traction control/stability assist could just take over and handle almost anything I threw at it. Drove right through snow storms, just about anything except once I had a hard time going over a hill when I discovered the ENTIRE other side was ICE. That was scary, but I’m not sure AWD would have faired better.

I can only imagine how well their AWD vehicles are in the winter because the RWD was shockingly good for me.
Agreed, it snow in Boston yesterday night and i had no issues on unplowed roads, I even toke off my traction just to fish tail 4 fun😊
Old 12-09-21, 12:55 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Good tires, AWD and air suspension, if I can't get to the end of the drive and get high centered I press the button on the dash and raise car. I then back up and put it back in the garage go in the house have something warm to drink. I figure if I can't get out, where I was going is probably closed or it wasn't that important trip to begin with.
Old 12-09-21, 03:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

As several here have said, it's all about the tires, RWD, FWD, AWD doesn't make a difference if you aren't running snow tires in snow and ice. Just go to Youtube and search winter vs all season or summer tires. There are tons of videos demonstrating how superior winter tires are to all season or summer tires, This video can be a little tedious, but it strikes me because I use Michelin tires on both my Ferraris. On the FF I use the Pilot Sport 4S in summer and the Pilot Alpin in winter.

That being said, I only run the Pirelli P7 Cinturato on my LS, but then in really bad road conditions I don't have to drive it.

Quick Reply: Snow performance?