LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Small request for 12+ owners (w/lka)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-21, 09:44 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 418 Posts
Default Small request for 12+ owners (w/lka)

Hey lucky ones!
Ok, if your car is equipped with lane keeping I'd really love a good pic of upper area of windshield, taken from inside, of rain sensor+camera _cover_ black thingie. I want to see how far it goes down the windshield etc. Just a picture or three from different angles, no need to take anything apart haha. If you're in a sunny land - perhaps a shot from outside of the vehicle of that area.
Thank you all in advance and Ho Ho Ho! Festive greetings!

ps. I'm installing night view in pre 12+ car and only LHD cam cover (w/night cam) available is the one from 12+ (which is substantially bigger but seem to have same locking tabs in same places as pre 12+). Just want to be sure before I cut more of my roof liner, googling didn't fetch haha
Old 12-22-21, 12:06 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got a 2012 but my car is currently in the shop: I'll try to get a pic later today or tomorrow (although it's gloomy here now).
The following users liked this post:
Boykie (12-22-21)
Old 12-23-21, 09:32 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm going send to you via PM, since they're large and show my house in the background. Don't want some internet rando reading this thread and trying something naughty

Edit: Apparently you can't send images via PM? Ugh. Please send me your email address and I'll send the full sized pics over.

Last edited by NotFasty; 12-23-21 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Edit: Apparently you can't send images via PM?
Boykie (12-23-21)
Old 12-23-21, 09:39 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Hope these images help. Good luck with your install. You are a brave soul who is sparing no expense to get these features! One bonus is you are also installing the third infrared camera for night vision which none of the 2013+ US-spec cars have. I am looking forward to seeing your system fully installed and functional. Hope you get everything installed and working over the holiday season!

The following 2 users liked this post by comotiger:
Boykie (12-23-21), DavidinCT (12-25-21)
Old 12-23-21, 10:04 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you! Exactly what I needed and detailed too. I do have one remaining question though: it have three locking tabs - one U shaped for rain sensor (sliding lock in catches the sensor), and two half-U shaped ones on both corners (visible in your pics). I am wondering what those tabs catch on. Is it something integral to 13+ windshield (like that metal rain sensor cage factory glued to the glass?)? Obviously I have pre-13 w/s and no such structures, but at this moment I think one U shaped lock (rain sensor one) should be enough to hold the enormous cover in place without flapping around. In any case I still have option of getting 10-12 cover (less hugely massive, but got every protrusion in same places) which got dummy space for nv cam (and I'll have to cut out the hole so it can see.. I have RHD one to train on - little dremeling and it's done I think) remaining.
Also, I see they increased dotted area substantially and provided cutouts in the silkscreen for cams, cool. But that isn't really relevant to my case. My dotted silkscreen is narrow and allows camera array to see thru undotted upper portion of w/s.
Christmas cheers!

PS. extra buttons on the mirror! droooool. as to project progress I was waiting on some posi-taps and now got em. Xmas is a priority but I have a vague suspicion I will make final push before the literal ball drops. Will update relevant thread too.

Last edited by Boykie; 12-23-21 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-24-21, 12:08 AM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts

I ran my dash cam sort of under and around that cover. I have an ultra lux as well with all those features. Some part of the cover you can detach from their clips but not the entire cover piece (or i havent pried hard enough).

Also definitely follow up when you are complete or wasnt successful. I want to see it all apart if i can.
Old 12-24-21, 01:24 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Boykie
Yes, yes, yes! Thank you! Exactly what I needed and detailed too. I do have one remaining question though: it have three locking tabs - one U shaped for rain sensor (sliding lock in catches the sensor), and two half-U shaped ones on both corners (visible in your pics). I am wondering what those tabs catch on. Is it something integral to 13+ windshield (like that metal rain sensor cage factory glued to the glass?)? Obviously I have pre-13 w/s and no such structures, but at this moment I think one U shaped lock (rain sensor one) should be enough to hold the enormous cover in place without flapping around. In any case I still have option of getting 10-12 cover (less hugely massive, but got every protrusion in same places) which got dummy space for nv cam (and I'll have to cut out the hole so it can see.. I have RHD one to train on - little dremeling and it's done I think) remaining.
Also, I see they increased dotted area substantially and provided cutouts in the silkscreen for cams, cool. But that isn't really relevant to my case. My dotted silkscreen is narrow and allows camera array to see thru undotted upper portion of w/s.
Christmas cheers!

PS. extra buttons on the mirror! droooool. as to project progress I was waiting on some posi-taps and now got em. Xmas is a priority but I have a vague suspicion I will make final push before the literal ball drops. Will update relevant thread too.
Happy to help, Boykie! Hopefully, that one tab by the rain sensor is enough to hold the entire plastic cover. You can always fasten them all around with some black electric tape that would blend in nicely. Good luck with your project! Here's a head-on view of the driver side cutout in my car showing the empty space inside the stereo camera housing where the near-infrared camera would be mounted in a car with Night View.

Old 12-24-21, 03:32 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Perfect perfect! Yea, I was thinking along lines of using some tape or something if need be. After having terrifying hands on experience cutting my roof liner something like little tape rigging is a breeze haha
Happy Christmas!!
Old 12-24-21, 07:03 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
I ran my dash cam sort of under and around that cover. I have an ultra lux as well with all those features. Some part of the cover you can detach from their clips but not the entire cover piece (or i havent pried hard enough).

Also definitely follow up when you are complete or wasnt successful. I want to see it all apart if i can.
Besides locking tab at rain sensor (and I guess corner ones on 13+) cover is held TO the camera itself (not roof or anything silly) by 2 clips (that have a rather snug clicky positive fit) and 2 lock tabs going directly into machined holes in the camera, and 2 more velcro pieces (lol). It's possible to take the cover off by: map light out, pull tabs down/out, using small L-shaped pick detach locktabs (it's all visible when you're there), then gently pull down (not towards w/s, just vertically down) to unstick velcros and detach clips. When I was working on AHB I had to swap mirror three times, each time required to take the cover off. My tabs are all still intact. Merry Christmas!
ps. I have some pics somewhere of camera and cover off the car making it possible to see clips and tabs location. remind me in pm if needed and i'll dig for those
Old 12-24-21, 07:06 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Meanwhile I'll leave this
Old 06-21-22, 10:47 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Okay, little update here. Today I tried to use 13+ cover on my 11.
It did fit the rain sensor etc, BUT:
a) it looks hideous from inside
b) left part is flappy (only held by hole in roof liner and a tiny velcro, nothing more)
c) it looks horrid from outside (no extra silkscreens on 11, so I can see innards of cover). really deal breaking horrid.
So, new plan A is to get 11 one and dremel out extra hole for nightview cam. Plan B to use the 13 one in the end. But it looks crap and kind of inyourface ugly.
swfla (06-21-22)