LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ABS Bleed 2016 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22, 10:58 AM
secolor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most detailed response as you requested was provided by DrewTech: I am placing their response here, very helpful, from DrewTech, Adam Bauer, and Gabrielle Antakli, OPUS | IVS Technical Support support@drewtech.com
Techstream
software can be found at techinfo.toyota.com. (Professional Service is $65.00 for two days.)

Techstream is Toyota's dealer level software. Techstream can perform service functions like actuator test, ABS bleed and Transmission AT code setup to name a few. Techstream can also perform new module programming and TSB update reprogramming. You can even program keys (Some vehicles do require a Locksmith ID through NASTF). This software will function as a scan tool as well. Techstream Lite or their Professional Diagnostic subscription will program and setup new modules or existing module updates. All Techstream software levels will operate as a scan tool for codes, PIDs and tests. Toyota, Lexus, and Scion support module programming for 2001 model year and newer.
On techinfo.toyota.com:

On the home page there is a good breakdown of the 4 levels of subscriptions available from Toyota. Standard, Professional Diagnostic and Security Professional. There is an option to add access to key codes. Their standard subscription is only for service information (Workshop Manual). This is all located on the home page under the “What Is TIS?” tab on the left of the page.
Interfaces:
Many Toyota dealer techs use the Mongoose Pro MFC2 and Mongoose Plus MFC 3 cables as the interface for their dealer scan tool (Techstream). Opus IVS/Drew Technologies did not limit the MFC cable family to Toyota. It is just optimized for. The MFC 3 cable is the latest Pass Thru interface and what I recommend.

The MFC 2 cable is sometime referred to as the green case cable. It will support protocols used by Toyota Motor Corp. J1850, K-Line, L-Line, CAN 1 and CAN 2. This device is the previous design. However, Opus IVS fully supports driver downloads and hardware repair as needed for all the Mongoose Pro family of Pass Thru interfaces.

The MFC 3 cable is fully backwards compatible. Supporting all the protocols the MFC 2 cables do. MFC 3 adds the ability to communicate with vehicles using new protocols like FD_CAN and DoIP as defined in SAE J2534-2. I see this mainly used in 2018 and newer vehicles but not all 2022 vehicles use this.

I have attached a PDF walkthrough explaining the Techstream software install and setup. This will explain how to setup the software for use with our devices. The walkthrough was made with a CarDAQ Plus 3 device. Just switch the CarDAQ Plus 3 name with Mongoose. Same process for setup up any Pass Thru interface with Techstream.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Email from
Gabrielle Antakli, OPUS | IVS Technical Support support@drewtech.com
Thanks for reaching out! We've actually replaced the Mongoose Pro Toyota 2 with the Mongoose Plus Toyota 3. For the same cost the Mongoose Plus Toyota 3 now supports CAN FD and DOIP, which the 2 did not.

With the Toyota/Lexus OEM software Techstream, the Mongoose Plus Toyota 3 would be a great fit for your needs and will support the type of module programming you'll need for the Break Bleed. You will have to purchase a subscription to Techstream which is linked in our educational tool, Toolbox, that you'll have access to with your device. You can also find a link to subscribe through the OE's website.

Right now we currently have a 2-3 week order processing time on this device but we also offer it through amazon and that can usually get to you much faster.

Amazon.com: Mongoose-Plus J2534 OEM Vehicle Interface Cable - OEM Reprogramming and Diagnostics on Toyota / Lexus / Scion : Automotive

NOTE: I ordered from Amazon with a promised delivery on Monday, January 31, 2022.
Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know if I succeed.

Old 02-03-22, 08:53 AM
secolor
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Quote from auto technician using dealer Techstream:

“It doesn’t work…do you see it (car engine shows over 14 volts, alternator charges over 14 volts if you look in the ECP) Techstream software shows low voltage, this is garbage, so this is unusable piece of junk Garbage….” Other: ”it’s a serious problem…(software, loses data) only works when car is not running, a $1,600 box, how do I use this.”

Sorry to report my results with TechStream: Henry O’Pry states the following. “I have wasted three days and found a lot more problems than the auto mechanic stated about in his TechStream software talk, I affirm also this is a piece of junk as the auto technician stated in his above video.. Many times it will not connect. I wasted hours and finally connected. Three days, plus 5 phone calls, 2 emails to support who absolutely refusal to help, only recommending to use the repair manual. All user manuals were missing. I emailed twice about the many problems, still two days and no response. Staff even refuses to refund their licenses charge that I paid, stating read the licenses, ...no refunds. I actually used YouTube to learn how to use the TechStream and recommended to support to reference YouTube because there was no help from the software.

Constantly ran my battery down. I added a charger first at 2amps, still got low voltage errors, raised the charger to 10 amps, still showed low voltage, then raised the voltage to 40 amps; battery showed 16 volts. Still showed low voltage on TechStream. What a disappointment with Toyota TechStream and I used their report manual for directions.

I simply wanted to do an ABS break and air bleed. I finally took pictures of many errors. It never worked. What a waste. I am the IT person in my company and I can honestly say that TechStream is the worst software I have ever worked with…as the auto technician stated, “this is garbage, so this is unusable piece of junk Garbage…$1,600 box, how do I use this.”

My estimate to deliver the auto to the Lexus dealer in Atlanta will cost $200. No response from them on cost of ABS break bleed.

I will be pleased to send the error photos if requested.
By the way my LEXUS 1998 LS400 had 354,000 miles, I changed breaks, and all service. A really great car. Wish I had it back running.

Henry O’Pry, February 3, 2022. Southeastern Color Lithographers, Inc. Athens, GA 30607, henry@southeasterncolor.com
Old 02-03-22, 09:03 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 894 Likes on 660 Posts

...then raised the voltage to 40 amps...
I couldn't read pass this statement. It is not a problem with Techstream, it is a problem with communication likely the OBD adapter. I used Techstream a number of times: engine, transmission and brakes. It worked every time. I have purchased software, a laptop, and an OBD adapter separately.

Last edited by Anfanger; 02-03-22 at 09:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 09:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,069 Likes on 2,466 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I couldn't read pass this statement. It is not a problem with Techstream, it is a problem with communication likely the OBD adapter. I used Techstream a number of times: engine, transmission and brakes. It worked every time. I have purchased software, a laptop, and an OBD adapter separately.
this is my experience as well. It's not without issues from time to time, but those issues are not Techstream, they're laptop/communications issues. Also, if you choose to use an unsupported dongle, don't expect much. I previously had an X-Horse unit and ended up tossing it in the trash because it wouldn't datalog for anything. The Mongoose Pro BT has worked extremely well for me, and again, when I have had issues, it's been the BT on the laptop, not the dongle.
The following users liked this post:
Boykie (02-03-22)
Old 02-24-22, 09:43 AM
secolor
Driver School Candidate

Interesting comments: My HP ZBook, 64 bit laptop is a very high end computer, look it up. I purchased the latest OBD Mongoose Plus Toyota 3 as recommended on the software, $499, and as I stated in the above discussion from the dealer of software. See his email I attached. I also, used professional battery chargers. The battery in my 2016 Lexus LS460 is 6 months old. After no help from the software suppliers, I used YouTube to obtain help, and being the IT person in my company since 1987, I sought help the only way possible after no help from the software dealer. I attached the dealer comments where he stated he paid $1,600 for his TechStream. See his YouTube vide0 at the top of my posting.
Yes, I have heard many comments over the many YEARS THAT SOFTWARE WORKS PROPERLY, UNTIL THEY ARE MADE TO PROVE IT....IT DOESN'T WORK ON MY LEXUS LS460. I have the photos to prove it.
Also Club LEXUS sent me an email banning me from this forum. Let's see if this gets posted. I wasted four days of my life attempting to get TechStream to work. What I got to work was 6 manual break bleeds. I also, have witnesses that will testify that the software is a failure or the LS460 is bad, or the battery charger is corrupt which will even charge up to 200 amp. TOYOTA fix your software...TechStream or give it away.
Old 02-24-22, 09:57 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 894 Likes on 660 Posts

Your personal experience does not change the fact that the software works for me.
Old 02-24-22, 10:42 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Works for me as well and I also have another tool that is the one I use for nearly every brand.
Old 02-24-22, 11:08 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,069 Likes on 2,466 Posts

Originally Posted by secolor
Interesting comments: My HP ZBook, 64 bit laptop is a very high end computer, look it up. I purchased the latest OBD Mongoose Plus Toyota 3 as recommended on the software, $499, and as I stated in the above discussion from the dealer of software. See his email I attached. I also, used professional battery chargers. The battery in my 2016 Lexus LS460 is 6 months old. After no help from the software suppliers, I used YouTube to obtain help, and being the IT person in my company since 1987, I sought help the only way possible after no help from the software dealer. I attached the dealer comments where he stated he paid $1,600 for his TechStream. See his YouTube vide0 at the top of my posting.
Yes, I have heard many comments over the many YEARS THAT SOFTWARE WORKS PROPERLY, UNTIL THEY ARE MADE TO PROVE IT....IT DOESN'T WORK ON MY LEXUS LS460. I have the photos to prove it.
Also Club LEXUS sent me an email banning me from this forum. Let's see if this gets posted. I wasted four days of my life attempting to get TechStream to work. What I got to work was 6 manual break bleeds. I also, have witnesses that will testify that the software is a failure or the LS460 is bad, or the battery charger is corrupt which will even charge up to 200 amp. TOYOTA fix your software...TechStream or give it away.
Sounds like you didn't subscribe to TIS at the professional level. Mine works on everything I've connected it to. And it's not $1600 which also tells me you didn't subscribe. It's $1295 annually.

My Techstream is installed on Lenovo T560. Definitely not high end. But the laptop isn't the problem here.
Old 02-25-22, 11:31 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 451 Likes on 324 Posts

Sounds almost like what my technicians refer to as an "id ten t" error.