LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

NEW Owner (2010 LS 460L)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-22, 05:32 PM
benzjag
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default NEW Owner (2010 LS 460L)

After driving exclusively Mercedes for 35 years, I have purchased my first Lexus (2010 LS 460L/78,000 ml). The car is in excellent condition having been serviced exclusively at the dealership.

I do have the "parking brake error message" on the instrument display. The previous owner said he replaced 2 modules, but the message remained.

Not knowing anything about Lexus, could it be the "new" sensors need to be reprogrammed or is likely the actuator motor itself is bad which I understand is a major job to replace? Is there anyway to remove the error message? The car performs perfectly in every way (other than the error message).

I love MB, but I bought the Lexus expecting to have less issues! I hope I have made the right choice!

Richard
Old 02-12-22, 05:47 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

If the car was serviced at dealership, then they couldn't find the issue. Suggest you find a different dealer or an indy shop who specializes in Asian vehicles and have the software for Lexus servicing.(bound to be less money)
At 78,000 miles, this is a used car where any system might go down. But overall, I hope/think you will see fewer troubles than MB. A shop can read the trouble codes thru the OBD2 port and can tell what's needed most times.
Old 02-12-22, 05:57 PM
benzjag
Driver School Candidate

The previous owner replaced the modules himself....not the dealership! Therefore. a scan has not been done. I will absolutely take the car in for the scan, but being a new owner, I am attempting to get some general feedback before doing so. Having driven S Class Mercedes for so many years, I am very much aware of the need to have the brand specific scan done. With the exceptionally low mileage for a 2010, if the car is not more reliable than MB, I will absolutely return Mercedes.
Old 02-12-22, 06:25 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 823 Likes on 608 Posts

If you read this post and the related one at the end of the first it should help you out, the search function here is pretty good and google will direct you here most of the time with a problem description and a year/model.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ing-brake.html
The following users liked this post:
swfla (02-12-22)
Old 02-12-22, 06:39 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Everyone here is a Lexus LS460 fan. Some are or were MB owners. Hope you get things reprogrammed and remain happy.
Old 02-13-22, 02:57 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

Congrats and welcome!

If you are planning on working on your car yourself (strongly recommended), invest in a basic setup for Techstream. You will need a Windows XP or & 7 based laptop ($100-200 on Ebay), a Techstream software (~$20-30 on Ebay), and a basic OBD2 adapter compatible with Techstream ($20+). Majority of generic OBD readers will not be able to access a large number of modules.

I would recommend stop replacing parts without properly diagnosing the issue. Even if you guess what part is malfunctioning (electronic), you will need Techstream to properly initiate it. Otherwise, it will through an error(s) again.

Last edited by Anfanger; 02-13-22 at 03:00 AM.
swfla (02-13-22)
Old 02-16-22, 03:00 PM
benzjag
Driver School Candidate

Default OBJECTIVE HONEST Feedback Needed!

A week ago, I bought a 2010 LS 460L with 76,000 miles. The car is a one owner southern vehicle with perfect 100% dealership service from now. The car is extraordinarily clean as it was garaged from new.

I bought it because I had heard about the extraordinary Toyota reliability. I have been driving MB, Jaguars, Bentley and Rolls Royces for 40 years. I was thinking the Lexus would be almost perfect compared to my German and British cars in reliability. In one week, I have the "parking brake error"; several of the LED backlights on the center console out; and today the BT phone commands are 50% of the time not accurate.

My question is am I being too critical expecting nothing to go wrong with these cars? I was trying to get away from the same type of "issues" that I have had with my current 2013 Mercedes S550.

I need OBJECTIVE comments from those who LOVE Lexus and would not drive anything else!

At this point, I am not impressed and feel I likely may sell the car. Again, perhaps I am being too judgemental!

Thanks!

Richard
Old 02-16-22, 03:17 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

I believe, you have asked this question elsewhere. LS460 is a different beast. It is reliable for its class but it requires some expensive repairs that you will never see in ES or GS. If maintenance and repairs are done in time, it is a good car. But majority of owners, run in to the ground and trade it in. As I said before, dealership records are good to have but not nearly enough.

I am not sure what is up with parking brake, it is possible it just needs a service.

LEDs are a common problem, you could have it verified before purchasing the car.

BT issues can be many things, you might want to reset the main unit.
Old 02-16-22, 05:22 PM
Cape600L
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I have only had mine (09 L, 120K Miles) for a couple of weeks and have had some issues as well. Main one being the electric steering giving some warnings! A little scary. But, I need to check a couple things and will myself. I agree with Anfanger-they are better than most, but it is still a luxury car with many, many complicated systems that need attention. Toyota maps/guidance are notoriously behind in their technology. We have a 2019 GX and the maps/guidance are no better than my 09! I think once you work thru the issues on the car, you will come to love it.
Old 02-17-22, 02:04 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by benzjag
A week ago, I bought a 2010 LS 460L with 76,000 miles. The car is a one owner southern vehicle with perfect 100% dealership service from now. The car is extraordinarily clean as it was garaged from new.

I bought it because I had heard about the extraordinary Toyota reliability. I have been driving MB, Jaguars, Bentley and Rolls Royces for 40 years. I was thinking the Lexus would be almost perfect compared to my German and British cars in reliability. In one week, I have the "parking brake error"; several of the LED backlights on the center console out; and today the BT phone commands are 50% of the time not accurate.

My question is am I being too critical expecting nothing to go wrong with these cars? I was trying to get away from the same type of "issues" that I have had with my current 2013 Mercedes S550.

I need OBJECTIVE comments from those who LOVE Lexus and would not drive anything else!

At this point, I am not impressed and feel I likely may sell the car. Again, perhaps I am being too judgemental!

Thanks!

Richard
First off, it's a 12 year old car. It's not going to be perfect. Even one off the showroom floor can have issues. Second, I'm curious as to why you're driving a Lexus when you can drive Bentley's and Rolls? Not sure you'll be happy with the car. You may want to sell it.
The following 4 users liked this post by R Z:
dlbuckls10 (02-17-22), JffGRY706 (02-18-22), swfla (02-17-22), tomgarv (02-21-22)
Old 02-17-22, 03:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Well, firstly, welcome to Club Lexus and congrats on your new car.

I bought it because I had heard about the extraordinary Toyota reliability. I have been driving MB, Jaguars, Bentley and Rolls Royces for 40 years. I was thinking the Lexus would be almost perfect compared to my German and British cars in reliability. In one week, I have the "parking brake error"; several of the LED backlights on the center console out; and today the BT phone commands are 50% of the time not accurate..
Being well acquainted with MB, Jag and Bentley, if those are all the problems you are having, you are way ahead of the game.

My question is am I being too critical expecting nothing to go wrong with these cars? I was trying to get away from the same type of "issues" that I have had with my current 2013 Mercedes S550..
You are definitely being too critical. Can you name any vehicle that has ZERO problems? Plus you bought a 12 year old car. Even if it was meticulously maintained, things age. I would have to guess that the previous singular owner of your car thought it was pretty good if he kept it this long. I've had my 2007 since I bought it new and I'm keeping it.

That being said, if you are not happy with the car move on. It could very well be that this car could be a money hole, it happens.

Thanks!

Richard
I have tried to be objective. I have had concerns about Lexus with some issues with the cars. As I am sure you know, you can spent $100's of thousands more for cars with even more issues. Just ask me!
dlbuckls10 (02-17-22)
Old 02-17-22, 08:38 PM
benzjag
Driver School Candidate

Thanka, Nospinzone. Your honest objective comments are exactly what I was seeking. I understand and agree! I still have my German/British cars as I am a collector with a total of 38 vehicles. As mentioned, this is my first Asian car. I will be less judgemental as I drive it for a few months!

Richard

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Well, firstly, welcome to Club Lexus and congrats on your new car.

Being well acquainted with MB, Jag and Bentley, if those are all the problems you are having, you are way ahead of the game.

You are definitely being too critical. Can you name any vehicle that has ZERO problems? Plus you bought a 12 year old car. Even if it was meticulously maintained, things age. I would have to guess that the previous singular owner of your car thought it was pretty good if he kept it this long. I've had my 2007 since I bought it new and I'm keeping it.

That being said, if you are not happy with the car move on. It could very well be that this car could be a money hole, it happens.

I have tried to be objective. I have had concerns about Lexus with some issues with the cars. As I am sure you know, you can spent $100's of thousands more for cars with even more issues. Just ask me!
Old 02-17-22, 08:50 PM
benzjag
Driver School Candidate

I bought the Lexus because a friend owned it. With the dealership service and low mileage for a 2010, I thought it would be an excellent time to give Lexus a try. I bought it because of the awesome reliability ratings by everyone. I thought perhaps foolishly there would be no issues whatsoever because it was a Toyota! I will drive it for a few months before deciding if I sell it.

I'm a collector with 38 vehicles from a 1956 Jaguar XK140 to a 2013 Rolls Royce Ghost. All the cars are British/German vehicles. They are awesome cars, but require intensive maintainence. That's another reason I bought the Lexus! I am hoping for some relief from that constant service!

I will be patient in the months ahead knowing the car is 12 years old!

Richard

Originally Posted by R Z
First off, it's a 12 year old car. It's not going to be perfect. Even one off the showroom floor can have issues. Second, I'm curious as to why you're driving a Lexus when you can drive Bentley's and Rolls? Not sure you'll be happy with the car. You may want to sell it.
Old 02-18-22, 07:13 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Post a photo for us with all your cars in one or two photos.
Old 02-18-22, 02:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by benzjag;11231198

I will be patient in the months ahead
knowing the car is 12 years old!

Richard
Unless somehow you bought a real lemon, I have no doubt you will be happy and satisfied with the car. Unfortunately my guarantee doesn't come with your money back!

Quick Reply: NEW Owner (2010 LS 460L)