LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What is this noise from under my car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-22, 01:54 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Default What is this noise from under my car?

I hate this game since this is a vague question, but...

When steering at low speed, I hear a knock or pop somewhere under the front half of the car. I took it to my trusted shop (who also complete fixed my leaving valve cover), was able to show them the sound, and they said:

Ball joints look good
Control arms look good
Frame bolts were loose and they tightened them

I left and made a low speed 180 degree turn in a parking lot and heard the pop again. I'm tempted to not worry about it and let it go, but it's not in my nature to ignore problems. Thanks.
Old 03-15-22, 01:58 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

This is a SWAG, but I see you are in a cold weather state. Do you have summer tires on the car? If so, the noise you hear might be the tires. In the cold they are not pliable and turning the wheel at slow speeds could create this noise.
Old 03-15-22, 03:39 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
This is a SWAG, but I see you are in a cold weather state. Do you have summer tires on the car? If so, the noise you hear might be the tires. In the cold they are not pliable and turning the wheel at slow speeds could create this noise.
Thank you for the reply. I don't think it's tire related (I'm on all seasons that have maybe 30K on them and a decent amount of tread left).

I can put the car up on my lift at some point, but if the shop didn't find anything then I don't know how I will. These guys are super good and I can take it back and have them check again but not sure what to ask them to look at.
Old 03-15-22, 04:52 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFasty
Thank you for the reply. I don't think it's tire related (I'm on all seasons that have maybe 30K on them and a decent amount of tread left).

I can put the car up on my lift at some point, but if the shop didn't find anything then I don't know how I will. These guys are super good and I can take it back and have them check again but not sure what to ask them to look at.
Often ball joints will only make a "popping" noise/knock when the full weight of the car is on them but not when in the air. How far was the steering wheel turned when the noise occurred? Near or at full lock is when a lot of ball joint noises/pops are heard. Also, when in reverse at a 90° turn, do you also get the pop/knock sound? I suspect a lot of the aftermarket upper controls arms may be fairly decent or average (bushing-wise); however, the ball joints are not as good as OEM.
Old 03-15-22, 06:38 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

There was a recent thread about the electric steering actuator arm going bad.
Old 03-17-22, 01:46 AM
BlazeViper
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Check your steering arm dust boots. I had my metal undercover bent upwards and snagging on the boots and after I used a big vice to bend it back down it stopped.

I then had my bent rims fixed at a shop and the sound came back after they lifted it, so it could be the case that a shop just lifted your car and bent it too.

If this is the case, don't drive around too long as you'll tear the boots.
Old 03-17-22, 07:55 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Often ball joints will only make a "popping" noise/knock when the full weight of the car is on them but not when in the air. How far was the steering wheel turned when the noise occurred? Near or at full lock is when a lot of ball joint noises/pops are heard. Also, when in reverse at a 90° turn, do you also get the pop/knock sound? I suspect a lot of the aftermarket upper controls arms may be fairly decent or average (bushing-wise); however, the ball joints are not as good as OEM.
I hadn't drive the car a few days but did tonight. In a bumpy parking lot, I heard a few times when driving slowly and making sharp 90-180 degree turn and both my passenger and I could really feel it from the front right wheel area. The car has 110K miles and (I assume) it's on the original control arms.

Perhaps it really is the ball joints? I can ask the shop how they could tell it's OK when I'm clearly hearing things.
Old 03-21-22, 01:22 PM
crz95
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I'm having a similar issue.
My mechanic told me that it was my upper control arms. Got them changed and was sad to see that the noise was still there. He told me that it was nothing to be concerned about.

I feel like it's been getting worse, and it's several creaks and pops when I'm turning AND moving at the same time.
The noises don't always come up when the car is stationary.
I sometimes hear a single creak/pop when I sit inside the car or get out of it. (Don't know if that helps)
Old 03-21-22, 03:01 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

How much did those cost you?

I think I need some or all of that replaced, but don't have an estimate since my shop thought everything was OK.
Old 03-22-22, 02:04 AM
crz95
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How much did those cost you?

I think I need some or all of that replaced, but don't have an estimate since my shop thought everything was OK.
The lower front control arms were replaced when I bought the car last year, I replaced the top front arms for around 800$ from an independent mechanic. OEM parts. Dealer wanted way more.
The following users liked this post:
sNotM3 (02-04-23)
Old 03-22-22, 06:07 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

I hadn't drive the car a few days but did tonight. In a bumpy parking lot, I heard a few times when driving slowly and making sharp 90-180 degree turn and both my passenger and I could really feel it from the front right wheel area. The car has 110K miles and (I assume) it's on the original control arms.

Perhaps it really is the ball joints? I can ask the shop how they could tell it's OK when I'm clearly hearing things.
Take the mechanic for a ride with you to demonstrate.
Old 03-22-22, 10:30 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swfla
Take the mechanic for a ride with you to demonstrate.
I did and the result was "nothing is wrong". Sigh.
Old 03-25-22, 05:44 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

I had a similar issue on my 2010 AWD. Upgraded front lower rearward control arms to 2013+ and the noise went away.
The following 2 users liked this post by Anfanger:
NotFasty (03-25-22), sNotM3 (02-04-23)