LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS 460L Air Suspension Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-22, 02:24 AM
WaFaRa
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2007 LS 460L Air Suspension Issues

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2007 LS 460L with about 130k miles on it. I have had it about 6months and I have not had any issues until of recently. After a bad stint of weather I ran over some rough terrain but nothing major and I noticed my warning lights came on..abs vsc, and I believe traction control. I went to have the error code read by 2 mechanics and they both got front right wheel speed sensor harness. I scheduled an appointment to have it replaced and noticed shortly after the same front right wheel suspension was sitting lower than the other 3 wheels. It would go back up but intermittently would lower again. ( I posted pictures below) So that mechanic stood me up so I went to lexus dealership with no codes present since they were cleared by previous mechanic and they told me that it is the RF wheel speed sensor harness assembly and right front wheel bearing along with front air struts and actuators totaling $7700..lol. A lexus mechanic informed you could get it fixed alot cheaper elsewhere.
.Scheduled a 2nd opinion with another so called Lexus expert and still no codes and suspension is holding up when I brought it in. Theyre diagnosis was that it had no error codes and tested fine....48hrs later same wheel lowered again and I could not get back in for another appointment for a week. I could not wait since I am wasting alot of money on rentals.. I drove it to Chicago, and this mechanic said the same thing that the suspension is holding up and to bring it back in when it drops again.

2 weeks go by, drove it out of town twice with no issues and now it dropped again but this time when it went back up..it raised the whole passenger side really high like it is a monster truck and the drive is horrific. Every bump feels like i am running over a huge pot hole on that side and this is the current condition. ( Again I have posted pics below.) Car is in great condition otherwise and clean so I do like the car a lot. Does any have any light they could shed on this issue I am having? I am going 3.5 weeks with this lingering issue. I am no mechanic, but maybe some info could help me pointing one in the right direction. Would be much appreciated.

monster truck status

Monster truck status

Lowered

Normal
Old 03-20-22, 04:53 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by WaFaRa
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2007 LS 460L with about 130k miles on it. I have had it about 6months and I have not had any issues until of recently. After a bad stint of weather I ran over some rough terrain but nothing major and I noticed my warning lights came on..abs vsc, and I believe traction control. I went to have the error code read by 2 mechanics and they both got front right wheel speed sensor harness. I scheduled an appointment to have it replaced and noticed shortly after the same front right wheel suspension was sitting lower than the other 3 wheels. It would go back up but intermittently would lower again. ( I posted pictures below) So that mechanic stood me up so I went to lexus dealership with no codes present since they were cleared by previous mechanic and they told me that it is the RF wheel speed sensor harness assembly and right front wheel bearing along with front air struts and actuators totaling $7700..lol. A lexus mechanic informed you could get it fixed alot cheaper elsewhere.
.Scheduled a 2nd opinion with another so called Lexus expert and still no codes and suspension is holding up when I brought it in. Theyre diagnosis was that it had no error codes and tested fine....48hrs later same wheel lowered again and I could not get back in for another appointment for a week. I could not wait since I am wasting alot of money on rentals.. I drove it to Chicago, and this mechanic said the same thing that the suspension is holding up and to bring it back in when it drops again.

2 weeks go by, drove it out of town twice with no issues and now it dropped again but this time when it went back up..it raised the whole passenger side really high like it is a monster truck and the drive is horrific. Every bump feels like i am running over a huge pot hole on that side and this is the current condition. ( Again I have posted pics below.) Car is in great condition otherwise and clean so I do like the car a lot. Does any have any light they could shed on this issue I am having? I am going 3.5 weeks with this lingering issue. I am no mechanic, but maybe some info could help me pointing one in the right direction. Would be much appreciated.
Since this occurred just after the rough terrain incident, I'd be thoroughly checking not only the wheel/hub sensors and connections but also the height control sensors/load sensing valve sensor brackets. https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

If unable to do the work yourself, I recommend finding a mechanic actively using Techstream to diagnose the air suspension properly. There are many mechanical and electrical components in this system, so I would not put it past dealers to just want to replace entire parts rather than fixing/replacing some of the far less expensive sub-assemblies.

One suggestion to try before taking it in, is to disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes and then reconnecting and starting the car up, sort of like a reset/reboot of the system. Once system reset is done, raise the car by pressing the Height High switch and give it a few minutes to activate the compressor and raise. Then press again to lower, giving a few minutes to do so. This process may need to be cycled a few times, and if you're lucky and there was not physical alteration of the sensors in the rough terrain, it just may return back to normal. Good luck!
Old 03-20-22, 07:14 AM
WaFaRa
Driver School Candidate

Thank you lwphat66. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-20-22, 07:43 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

I hate to say this but, if you're unable to do this work yourself, I would recommend a trip to the Lexus dealer (at last for a more reliable diagnosis).

These systems are for your shade tree mechanic!
Old 03-20-22, 06:44 PM
WaFaRa
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Keith. Lexus did diagnose it as it being the RF wheel speed sensor harness assembly. And front air suspension + actuators. Unfortunately paying them $7700 to fix it, I cant do.

Old 03-20-22, 06:48 PM
WaFaRa
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know If I drove the vehicle with the suspension raised to what I assume is the max height, a few hours away to another mechanic, would it be safe or would it cause any further issues? The ride is super rough, and every bump feels like im hitting a pothole?
Old 03-22-22, 06:09 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by WaFaRa
Does anyone know If I drove the vehicle with the suspension raised to what I assume is the max height, a few hours away to another mechanic, would it be safe or would it cause any further issues? The ride is super rough, and every bump feels like im hitting a pothole?
It wont hurt anything to drive it like that to another mechanic. In that first pic it looks like you have the height high button on since the front and rear looks like it is raised up.
Old 04-12-22, 09:55 AM
WaFaRa
Driver School Candidate

Update:

Had a mechanic inspect and they gave me their best guess what could be possibly causing my problems. They replaced my height valve sensor on the front right wheel and so far so good. Its going on 2 weeks now with no issues. lwphat66 I believe you called it! Thanks everyone. Total Cost $567.00 big difference from $7700
The following 6 users liked this post by WaFaRa:
Cape600L (04-12-22), DerrickM (04-12-22), LS460Yeet (04-13-22), lwphat66 (04-13-22), Outofspec (04-12-22), swfla (04-12-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)