LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Oil not registering on dipstick after recent oil change.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-22, 07:56 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Positive he put correct amount of oil in it. I'm going to check it again a week from yesterday to see how much it's consuming in a week, miles wise.

Originally Posted by hfahmy
you r sure you mechanic put 9.1 quarts? Most cars are 6-8 quarts and you mechanic could be confused.

top off and watch it before you panic
Old 04-06-22, 07:59 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Yep, you're right. 3 quarts low = oil light on. I'll tell you what, it's obvious a huge problem if my car is eating that much oil, on a lesser note, hearing/seeing that beep notification every time the Low Oil light comes on is annoying as ****. Especially when it's every few minutes. Although very necessary of course. Haha. It's a reminder that says to me, "I know, I know, this sucks, quit reminding me." 🙄🤣

Originally Posted by Striker223
I think it comes on at around 2-3 QTs low for a 460, overall amount in the pan is about 9.0-9.7. They hold massive amount of oil for a non-diesel engine that's for sure.

EDIT: Checked my manual, from the low dot to the full dot it's 1.6QT/1.5L and the warning light is 2-3QTs low

Last edited by Sportznuts; 04-06-22 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-06-22, 08:03 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

I know it's premature to ask this question before finding out the issue. But how in the hell does my car go from not burning any oil to BOOM, huge consumption?

One poster mentioned he experienced a similar issue directly after a valve corner replacement.

Sorry for the rant, I'm irritated. I love my car!!! Best car I've owned and I'm proud of it. You guys have been great. Very responsive and helpful. Thank you. 😀

Last edited by Sportznuts; 04-06-22 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-06-22, 11:15 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
I know it's premature to ask this question before finding out the issue. But how in the hell does my car go from not burning any oil to BOOM, huge consumption?

One poster mentioned he experienced a similar issue directly after a valve corner replacement.

Sorry for the rant, I'm irritated. I love my car!!! Best car I've owned and I'm proud of it. You guys have been great. Very responsive and helpful. Thank you. 😀
Have you yourself looked around to make sure you don't have a leak? You had the top 1/2 of the engine apart after all and there are a lot of oil seals there, also confirm PCV operation is correct since if you had a air ingress point somewhere else and now it is sealed a bad pcv would start working again and possibly start consuming a lot of oil. If you were not having this issue before I doubt the rings went bad like an on/off switch, I would start by confirming all other related systems to the repair you just did.

Just at least check the oil filter housing so you know you do not have a pressure side external leak
Old 04-06-22, 06:05 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Thank you Stryker. No leaks that I can visibly see.

I sent a screenshot of your post to my mechanic to give him things to look at.

He's going to look at it the following weekend. He said he's seen my same car come in that was losing 2 quarts per week. He mentioned something about piston rings and in her case possibly needing an engine rebuild. Ugh.

Well, I'll wait and see.

Have you yourself looked around to make sure you don't have a leak? You had the top 1/2 of the engine apart after all and there are a lot of oil seals there, also confirm PCV operation is correct since if you had a air ingress point somewhere else and now it is sealed a bad pcv would start working again and possibly start consuming a lot of oil. If you were not having this issue before I doubt the rings went bad like an on/off switch, I would start by confirming all other related systems to the repair you just did.

Just at least check the oil filter housing so you know you do not have a pressure side external leak
Old 04-06-22, 06:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
Thank you Stryker. No leaks that I can visibly see.

I sent a screenshot of your post to my mechanic to give him things to look at.

He's going to look at it the following weekend. He said he's seen my same car come in that was losing 2 quarts per week. He mentioned something about piston rings and in her case possibly needing an engine rebuild. Ugh.

Well, I'll wait and see.
Do you ever drive the car hard btw? I am curious about if there is a link between people who have this issue and never driving it hard....
Old 04-06-22, 10:36 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Do you ever drive the car hard btw? I am curious about if there is a link between people who have this issue and never driving it hard....
I do drive pretty hard. I push it. I wouldn't say I push it to high speed limits, more off the line and onto the freeway.
Old 04-07-22, 01:58 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 893 Likes on 659 Posts

You can check spark plugs, if one of cylinder is burning oil, you should be able to tell it by looking at the spark plug.

Also, check your coolant for presence of oil, just in case. In between, these engines have a history of leaky piston rings in early production years.

Last edited by Anfanger; 04-07-22 at 02:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (04-07-22)
Old 04-07-22, 06:24 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 418 Posts

Dudes. Some c-nt obviously skipped pouring oil in / underfilled (e.g. ls430 takes only 5qts).
swfla (04-07-22)
Old 04-07-22, 09:09 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

He changed the spark plugs and flushed the coolant a couple months ago.

Originally Posted by Anfanger
You can check spark plugs, if one of cylinder is burning oil, you should be able to tell it by looking at the spark plug.

Also, check your coolant for presence of oil, just in case. In between, these engines have a history of leaky piston rings in early production years.
Old 04-07-22, 03:00 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 893 Likes on 659 Posts

It is not what I meant. If any of spark plugs is foiled that means that the engine is burning oil rather than having an external oil leak.
Old 04-07-22, 04:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Boykie
Dudes. Some c-nt obviously skipped pouring oil in / underfilled (e.g. ls430 takes only 5qts).
You have me wondering if that's really the issue and it's far more simple than what we are assuming.

Was the light on as soon as you picked the car up?
Boykie (04-07-22)
Old 04-07-22, 06:23 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
It is not what I meant. If any of spark plugs is foiled that means that the engine is burning oil rather than having an external oil leak.
Ohhhh, gotcha. Sorry. I'm not a car guy. Thank you. I'll have him look at that too. I appreciate your help.
Old 04-07-22, 07:58 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 418 Posts

Occam's razor, innit, Striker...
The following 2 users liked this post by Boykie:
NotFasty (04-08-22), Striker223 (04-07-22)
Old 04-07-22, 08:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Boykie
Occam's razor, innit, Striker...
Yeah but that just......I don't know. I almost wouldn't have thought of that since it's so simple/how do you NOT check the level manually after an oil change? I just would never ever forget to do that so it didn't occur to me at all!

Quick Reply: Oil not registering on dipstick after recent oil change.....