LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why would anyone consider selling their LS460? Seriously.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 06:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

You can have thin tires and a great ride....my W12 has 40 series on 20 inch rims and it kicks the crap out of my 430 in ALL ride aspects.
Old 06-29-23, 07:36 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Yeah, I've never been a fan of wagon wheels with 35 series tires either. If I wanted to whip around corners as fast as possible, I'd get myself an older M3 and call it a day. Doesn't surprise me the 430 rode better than the 460. Not many cars in history do.

It is my belief that cars with a floaty, soft ride don't exist anymore because the public doesn't want anything to do with them. Well 99% of them. Why? They are all in a hurry to get somewhere and feel they have to cut in and out of traffic, go around turns fast, pass everyone, speed up like crazy at stop lights, brake aggressively, etc.

The days of smooth, calm driving are over, unfortunately. I also cannot stand seeing big giant behemoth trucks with skinny tires. It makes completely no sense at all.

Lexus did indeed screw up the 5th gen LS. They had a perfect opportunity to develop a TTV8 like the Germans had years prior, but they decide on a V6. It's beyond comprehension. Lots of folks would have bought a 2018 LS if it had a fire-breathing TTV8 in excess of 500 hp. Also doesn't help the 500 has less interior room than the ES, yet it's 9 inches longer.

To count the mistakes on the LS500 would require a thick notepad. I would be there a while, writing everything down.

Yes sir. Those days are surely over. I meant the LS500 my baddy.
Old 06-29-23, 07:59 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexnLexus
Yes sir. Those days are surely over. I meant the LS500 my baddy.
No worries, it happens. They couldn't even get the naming of their flagship right. It should be the LS350 with that horrible V6 they stuffed under the hood. A proper flagship always has at least a V8, no exceptions.
The following 2 users liked this post by xjokerz:
Caflashbob (06-29-23), FlexnLexus (06-29-23)
Old 06-29-23, 08:41 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Yeah, I've never been a fan of wagon wheels with 35 series tires either. If I wanted to whip around corners as fast as possible, I'd get myself an older M3 and call it a day. Doesn't surprise me the 430 rode better than the 460. Not many cars in history do.

It is my belief that cars with a floaty, soft ride don't exist anymore because the public doesn't want anything to do with them. Well 99% of them. Why? They are all in a hurry to get somewhere and feel they have to cut in and out of traffic, go around turns fast, pass everyone, speed up like crazy at stop lights, brake aggressively, etc.

The days of smooth, calm driving are over, unfortunately. I also cannot stand seeing big giant behemoth trucks with skinny tires. It makes completely no sense at all.

Lexus did indeed screw up the 5th gen LS. They had a perfect opportunity to develop a TTV8 like the Germans had years prior, but they decide on a V6. It's beyond comprehension. Lots of folks would have bought a 2018 LS if it had a fire-breathing TTV8 in excess of 500 hp. Also doesn't help the 500 has less interior room than the ES, yet it's 9 inches longer.

To count the mistakes on the LS500 would require a thick notepad. I would be there a while, writing everything down.
my learning to highway drive car was a 1961 Cadillac de ville. Like driving your sofa. No tire noise with bias tires. The ls 460 is a much more sophisticated road machine with incredibly safer chassis and safety and fuel mileage. Is iqui No, but close. Are the seats as comfortable? No but close. The caddy had the best drivers position with the center armrest and door arm rest were equal height. The steering wheels spokes were at 45 degrees at the bottom where your hands naturally rested when your elbows were on the center and door armrests. Simply the best

Last edited by Caflashbob; 06-29-23 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 09:13 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
my learning to highway drive car was a 1961 Cadillac de ville. Like driving your sofa. No tire noise with bias tires. The ls 460 is a much more sophisticated road machine with incredibly safer chassis and safety and fuel mileage. Is iqui No, but close. Are the seats as comfortable? No but close. The caddy had the best drivers position with the center armrest and door arm rest were equal height. The steering wheels spokes were at 45 degrees at the bottom where your hands naturally rested when your elbows were on the center and door armrests. Simply the best
That sounds amazing. Sounds like the perfect road trip car. Heck, you could actually take anywhere and feel refreshed anywhere. Nowadays, you get into a typical car and you feel nothing but the smallest bumps and it gets so annoying after a while.
Old 06-29-23, 09:46 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Striker223
You can have thin tires and a great ride....my W12 has 40 series on 20 inch rims and it kicks the crap out of my 430 in ALL ride aspects.
What kind of street and freeway conditions do you drive on? Because if you live in many cities in CA that have absolutely an abomination infrastructure conditions, those 40 series tire would get destroyed instantly. With multiple bent rims too.

Those tires might be fine if you live in a city with very smooth roads but not where I live, no way with all the potholes and lumpy, bumpy road surfaces, the suspension components would get trashed up quickly as well.

Low pro tires are also noisier and you can hear more thumping especially on transition ramps in my experience, your W12 might be fine, but other non luxury cars with less body bracing, less robust subframe and sound insulation, those 40 series tires would be roaring inside the cabin of most cars.

W12? Benz, Audi?

Old 06-29-23, 09:58 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

No worries, it happens. They couldn't even get the naming of their flagship right. It should be the LS350 with that horrible V6 they stuffed under the hood. A proper flagship always has at least a V8, no exceptions.
Right? Seriously. Sadly, the V8 in many cars and trucks are going away.

Lexus should have never dumped the V8 in LS. It’s a downgrade IMO and many automotive journalists have said the same thing. It’s not as smooth and silky like 4.6L V8.

Diehard flagship luxury car buyers will never consider a TTV6 engine, this is why the S-Class will remain king as I don’t ever believe Mercedes will ever completely go away from their V8.

The car care nut just posted this video regarding his thoughts about the new 2023 LS500, and he even said that it doesn’t ride as smooth as previous gens, and that his LS430 rides even smoother than the 500.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6TK0hYzWS90

Lexus build quality is still there, but something changed in the way they made the 500’s ride. That’s too bad.

I’ll just have to keep driving my 460 until it dies, and have a LS430 as a backup spare cruiser on the side to enjoy. Now that’s riding in paradise. 😎

Last edited by FlexnLexus; 06-29-23 at 10:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (06-30-23)
Old 06-30-23, 02:50 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 819 Likes on 606 Posts

That sounds amazing. Sounds like the perfect road trip car.
Until you are involved in an accident wearing a lap belt that causes your head to slam into the metal dash or the spokes on the steering wheel and explode like a watermelon.
Old 06-30-23, 05:35 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by Gerf
Until you are involved in an accident wearing a lap belt that causes your head to slam into the metal dash or the spokes on the steering wheel and explode like a watermelon.
That's funny, I could have sworn we weren't talking about safety...
Old 06-30-23, 07:42 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,281 Likes on 990 Posts

What kind of street and freeway conditions do you drive on? Because if you live in many cities in CA that have absolutely an abomination infrastructure conditions, those 40 series tire would get destroyed instantly. With multiple bent rims too.

Those tires might be fine if you live in a city with very smooth roads but not where I live, no way with all the potholes and lumpy, bumpy road surfaces, the suspension components would get trashed up quickly as well.

Low pro tires are also noisier and you can hear more thumping especially on transition ramps in my experience, your W12 might be fine, but other non luxury cars with less body bracing, less robust subframe and sound insulation, those 40 series tires would be roaring inside the cabin of most cars.

W12? Benz, Audi?
Sounds like San Diego. I've got 19" rims and air suspension, car is pretty smooth, but wish it had 18".
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
aypues (06-30-23), FlexnLexus (06-30-23)
Old 06-30-23, 08:15 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

That sounds amazing. Sounds like the perfect road trip car. Heck, you could actually take anywhere and feel refreshed anywhere. Nowadays, you get into a typical car and you feel nothing but the smallest bumps and it gets so annoying after a while.
car ran 88mph on the front 2 barrels of the carb(you could hear the secondaries kick in above that) and got 11.25mpg at that speed. We(our family) drove that Cadillac on the interstates from 1963 to 1967 all over the western half of the country. I at 16 years old drove that car 5500 miles out of 6000 total both ways on rt66 from Los Angeles to Chicago and back in 1964. Folks bought a used 66 Cadillac coupe de ville in 1968. The 61 was my favorite date night car as the front bench seat would fully recline as a unit. V shaped. Your imagination can fill in the blanks. 700 miles a day was normal on long trips

Last edited by Caflashbob; 06-30-23 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-30-23, 09:13 AM
trogdor113
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

W12? Benz, Audi?
Benz?

The W12 is a sole product of Volkswagen, used in the VW Phaeton, VW Touareg, Audi A8, and Bentley Continental. It's called such because it's essentially two narrow-angle VR6 (another VW design) engines joined at the crank. The advantage is that because of the compact arrangement of each cylinder bank, the W12 was one of the (perhaps the very?) smallest 12-cylinder engine built. The W16 used by Bugatti (another VW brand) is derived from this W12, with another two cylinders added to each bank. The VW and Audi applications were all normally aspirated, with Bentley and Bugatti getting blown versions.

#W12nerd
Old 06-30-23, 01:45 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trogdor113
Benz?

The W12 is a sole product of Volkswagen, used in the VW Phaeton, VW Touareg, Audi A8, and Bentley Continental. It's called such because it's essentially two narrow-angle VR6 (another VW design) engines joined at the crank. The advantage is that because of the compact arrangement of each cylinder bank, the W12 was one of the (perhaps the very?) smallest 12-cylinder engine built. The W16 used by Bugatti (another VW brand) is derived from this W12, with another two cylinders added to each bank. The VW and Audi applications were all normally aspirated, with Bentley and Bugatti getting blown versions.

#W12nerd

I see, yeah I didn’t know what W12 was at first lol thanks for the clarification. Any time I see the W, I always think of the W124 and W126 Mercedes naturally.
Old 06-30-23, 01:50 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
car ran 88mph on the front 2 barrels of the carb(you could hear the secondaries kick in above that) and got 11.25mpg at that speed. We(our family) drove that Cadillac on the interstates from 1963 to 1967 all over the western half of the country. I at 16 years old drove that car 5500 miles out of 6000 total both ways on rt66 from Los Angeles to Chicago and back in 1964. Folks bought a used 66 Cadillac coupe de ville in 1968. The 61 was my favorite date night car as the front bench seat would fully recline as a unit. V shaped. Your imagination can fill in the blanks. 700 miles a day was normal on long trips

60’s Cadillacs are awesome. I used to own a 68 Cadillac Coupe Deville, now that thing was a head turner and was absolutely amazing to drive with that huge 472 7.7L big-block V8 was a monster off the line.

It floated down the road in complete silence and comfort, the seats were soft n cushy and used very thick leather, I wish automakers could still build cars like this today.
Old 06-30-23, 02:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The reason why the older LS’s didn’t have suspension issues nearly as bad, is because they had a basic upper A and lower A-arm setup which does look to be more beefy and sturdier in its design over the LS460’s multi-link weak chicken wing setup.

The old school design works perfectly fine, if you think about it, all the old classic Cadillac, Buicks, and Lincoln’s that rode so smooth used the basic A-arm front suspension with a 3-4 link rear coil spring suspension, and those classic cars ride so much better than even the LS430 or a S-Class that has all kind of sophisticated suspension technology.

You can’t beat a very long wheelbase, full-frame, heavy curb weight luxury car with soft couch like plush cushy seats from the past in terms of comfort and total isolation from the road.
If you don't care at all about handling, then what you say is true. Those old Cadillacs, Lincolns and Buicks...and the LS430 to a lesser extent had terrible handling. The reason they want to a Mercedes style multi-link suspension is so they could deliver better handling and also an excellent ride. Those cars you mentioned do not ride better than an LS460 or an S Class, I've had them and have had the LS400, LS430 two LS460s and an S Class. There is more to a car riding great than just floating down the highway in a straight line. Driving those where any turning is involved is the exact opposite of comfort.

Driving those old cars and an LS430 (400 was more dynamic) on the back country roads in WV I have spent my life driving and then driving those same roads in the LS460 and S Class...the difference is night and day.

Quick Reply: Why would anyone consider selling their LS460? Seriously.