LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why would anyone consider selling their LS460? Seriously.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 02:12 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Sounds like San Diego. I've got 19" rims and air suspension, car is pretty smooth, but wish it had 18".
Yup, you now how it is then. If you ever driven in Clairemont or in Miramar, you know exactly what I am talking about. Even parts of La Jolla are atrocious for being such a wealthy community. Downtown SD and most of the inner city has terrible street conditions that should be considered safety hazard yet the city never ever repairs anything in this city.

Even in many places in the Bay Area are extremely bad, throw SF in there including many parts of L.A. also have just unacceptable street conditions. Even the smoothest LS460 or 430 won’t be able to absorb all the severe cracks and massive potholes and those heavy impacts and vibrations from entering the cabin.

I really don’t think automakers design vehicles to absorb those intense impacts anymore mainly because it’s hard to do when you don’t have a separate body-on-frame construction. Cost is a large factor as it’s now way too expensive to construct a B-O-F luxury car.

It’s like if you live in Florida where the ground is completely flat with no dips and uneven surfaces, with there streets and freeways are extremely well taken care of with hardly any potholes, driving any car for that matter will seem so smooth.

So owning a big truck or an SUV with very large tires living here, will definitely help someone stress levels because having a large vehicle like that can easily absorb and being able to take the punishment of our ****ty roadways much better than most luxury cars.

Old 06-30-23, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Roads are pretty bad in DC, I have never had an issue with the LS460L on 19s or my S560 on 19s...you have to obviously be alert and drive around massive holes in the road.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (06-30-23)
Old 06-30-23, 09:07 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Roads are pretty bad in DC, I have never had an issue with the LS460L on 19s or my S560 on 19s...you have to obviously be alert and drive around massive holes in the road.
I bet, DC is pretty bad from what I hear. Another issue with larger rims and smaller tires is that my car even with 18’s, I have marks and scratches on the wheels from driving over so many potholes that I couldn’t avoid entirely since so many streets where I live are littered with them.

We also have to deal with a lot of broken and rough pavement that throws bits of pieces of rocks up at the windshield of my car including the front end of my 460.

So my car has tons of tiny pits all over the bumper and windshield. I should have got it covered with a 3M protective wrap or film to prevent the damage. But it’s hundreds of dollars and not entirely damage proof.
Old 06-30-23, 09:17 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you don't care at all about handling, then what you say is true. Those old Cadillacs, Lincolns and Buicks...and the LS430 to a lesser extent had terrible handling. The reason they want to a Mercedes style multi-link suspension is so they could deliver better handling and also an excellent ride. Those cars you mentioned do not ride better than an LS460 or an S Class, I've had them and have had the LS400, LS430 two LS460s and an S Class. There is more to a car riding great than just floating down the highway in a straight line. Driving those where any turning is involved is the exact opposite of comfort.

Driving those old cars and an LS430 (400 was more dynamic) on the back country roads in WV I have spent my life driving and then driving those same roads in the LS460 and S Class...the difference is night and day.

I’ve never been the kind of driver that has cared about handling at all. Kinda always been a slow cruiser type of guy. So driving those big ole land yachts are absolutely a dream to be in.

Low NVH is such an importance to me as I can’t stand harsh vibrations entering the interior of any car that I drive. This is why my daily driver from many years ago was 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and a 93 Lincoln Town Car. Both awesomely smooth cars that had low NVH levels.

I will admit that it’s very difficult for any car to beat the ride of an S-Class.
Old 06-30-23, 09:39 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexnLexus
Yup, you now how it is then. If you ever driven in Clairemont or in Miramar, you know exactly what I am talking about. Even parts of La Jolla are atrocious for being such a wealthy community. Downtown SD and most of the inner city has terrible street conditions that should be considered safety hazard yet the city never ever repairs anything in this city.

Even in many places in the Bay Area are extremely bad, throw SF in there including many parts of L.A. also have just unacceptable street conditions. Even the smoothest LS460 or 430 won’t be able to absorb all the severe cracks and massive potholes and those heavy impacts and vibrations from entering the cabin.

I really don’t think automakers design vehicles to absorb those intense impacts anymore mainly because it’s hard to do when you don’t have a separate body-on-frame construction. Cost is a large factor as it’s now way too expensive to construct a B-O-F luxury car.

It’s like if you live in Florida where the ground is completely flat with no dips and uneven surfaces, with there streets and freeways are extremely well taken care of with hardly any potholes, driving any car for that matter will seem so smooth.

So owning a big truck or an SUV with very large tires living here, will definitely help someone stress levels because having a large vehicle like that can easily absorb and being able to take the punishment of our ****ty roadways much better than most luxury cars.
I did live in Naples, FL for 25 years. The streets and highways were smooth and fairly new. I guess I'm spoiled from that. I've got most of the potholes here memorized now and can avoid them. LOL.
Old 06-30-23, 10:33 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
I did live in Naples, FL for 25 years. The streets and highways were smooth and fairly new. I guess I'm spoiled from that. I've got most of the potholes here memorized now and can avoid them. LOL.

Why did you move from Naples FL (Gods Playground) to here? I would have stayed! Lower cost of living and it’s way cleaner too. If anything I’m trying to move out of SD. It sucks here now.

You definitely were spoiled lol. Every time i drive to Vegas to visit family, I get spoiled by Vegas’s super super smooth roadways. My 460 loves it out there. 😎

Me too, but at the same time there’s always new craters popping open and you really have to stay vigilant and aware on the daily. California taxes going to waste right in front of your eyes. 🙄

Last edited by FlexnLexus; 06-30-23 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-30-23, 11:50 PM
LexG
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I’ve owned my 2016 F Sport for five years now, and I plan to keep for another five at least. It never gets old.
Old 07-01-23, 10:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I bet, DC is pretty bad from what I hear. Another issue with larger rims and smaller tires is that my car even with 18’s, I have marks and scratches on the wheels from driving over so many potholes that I couldn’t avoid entirely since so many streets where I live are littered with them.
I've never had an issue with this either...

I’ve never been the kind of driver that has cared about handling at all. Kinda always been a slow cruiser type of guy. So driving those big ole land yachts are absolutely a dream to be in.

Low NVH is such an importance to me as I can’t stand harsh vibrations entering the interior of any car that I drive. This is why my daily driver from many years ago was 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and a 93 Lincoln Town Car. Both awesomely smooth cars that had low NVH levels.

I will admit that it’s very difficult for any car to beat the ride of an S-Class.
I am a ride focused person too, but you want a car to remain comfortable to drive when the road gets curvy, or you're on an offramp or onramp, those old BOF cars were not that, theres a happy medium.