LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why would anyone consider selling their LS460? Seriously.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-22, 06:17 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Why would anyone consider selling their LS460? Seriously.

I know I must be crazy but I had this thought yesterday.

With all the super high inflation going on at the moment, with used and new vehicle prices being through the roof, why would anyone want to sell their LS460, especially if it’s really clean, been well taken cared for and runs well with no issues at this current time?

I mean I can’t think of another perfect used car to own that will get you as much luxury features as some newer vehicles, a V8 that does amazing on gas, is super reliable for the most part compared to other makes, is well built, and will last indefinitely for an affordable price.

It’s a no brainer, like why would anyone go spend $30K on a new Toyo Camry, or even a used Lexus ES that’s 5-10 years old, when you can get a wayyyyy better car as in the LS460 for a similar price if not cheaper? Sure a newer sedan will have the latest tech features and feel more modern, but to me, that doesn’t truly add to the driving experience, it’s the overall comfort, performance and how smooth the car drives to me is what matters the most of course build quality and reliability. Styling is important of course and this generation specifically the 07-12 LS460’s still have a sane elegant look to them before Lexus went psycho on the ugly scary mouth piece of a grill in the latest generation.

Sure our LS’s are a bit boring on the outside especially from me coming from a 17 Chevy Impala that I used to own that was very aggressive in its styling which I really liked, to a seriously conservative one, But it’s growing on me and I’ve grown to appreciate the LS460 looks over time.

Personally, because I own an 07 LS460 LWB that is pretty much fully loaded, this car has features and comfort that not even a brand new vehicles have, so why would I ever sell it? Plus I find some newer cars feel cheaper inside, with more plastic material components and flimsy construction while my LS460
still feels rock solid at a 142,000 miles.

Nothing is broken and everything still works, and having this 4.6L V8 is a joy to drive with the 8 speed trans. It’s effortless and buttery smooth, most every new luxury vehicle besides for only the top makes, have all gone to turbo V6’s.

I’m sorry, but you will never convince me that a TTV6 will ever be as refined as this 4.6L V8 engine. I don’t need anymore power since our 460’s already haul ***!

All I care about is road isolation, silence, total comfort and smoothness, and effortless power. And this car does it all and more. So I don’t think I could ever sell mine unless I found like a low mileage 2013 LWB that’s fully loaded and has similar features to my 07.

Last edited by FlexnLexus; 05-26-22 at 06:29 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by FlexnLexus:
dlbuckls10 (05-28-22), LS460Yeet (05-30-22), Marc780 (06-01-23), SevenGuard (01-10-24)
Old 05-26-22, 07:24 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 366 Likes on 251 Posts

2010 460L owner here (have owned this car 6 years), having previously owned a 430 and 400 that I kept both until 250k miles. While I mostly agree, I'll provide a counter point.

The LS is a great car and provides a really enjoyable luxury driving experience - it's why I have now owned 3 LS's as the exclusive car I've owned for the last 15 years. Also, I agree with you about crazy inflation, price of used cars, etc. making it virtually impossible to match the value we get out of owning these cars.

However, these cars are NOT inexpensive when things go wrong. The 460 has been by far the least bullet proof LS I've personally owned. At 99k, my brake actuator went bad ($3,500 - covered by Lexus thankfully). Last July I replaced a set of control arms ($1,300). Yesterday I replaced another set of control arms ($1,200). About 3 months ago I did my full 120K service for spark plugs, transmission fluid service, and a slew of other things which ran me about $1,500 at an expensive indy. In 6 weeks I'm dropping $2,500 to have my engine and transmission mounts replaced- my engine mounts have been bad for about 3 years and it has finally gotten to the point that I'm committing to replacing them. So in the course of the last 12 months I will have put about $7k into the LS. On top of that, I'm currently spending over $100/week in gas (premium is on average about $5.29 here).

So here comes the counter point. I personally don't like spending more than about $35-$40k on cars. To your point, I can't really get anything for that price point that excites me... I could get a newer LS but I'm going to keep paying the same amount in gas, etc and would have to set aside some money for maintenance concerns down the road. So what I am tempted to do is put $35k to $40k down on an EV and get my monthly payments to about $400 to $500 per month - which is exactly what I'm spending in gas. So I could get a brand new car that requires no maintenance for $35k-$40k and keep my monthly expenses exactly where they are now (car payment matching gas payment).

I'm choosing to invest in my LS right now because I truly enjoy the car and because I have a lot of other expenses right now that make me want to pause on putting $40k down on an EV for about another year. However, I'm sadly convinced that this will be my last LS for a while - I'm absolutely going to make the move to EV.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
aypues (06-03-22), Boomin (05-29-22)
Old 05-26-22, 07:46 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
2010 460L owner here (have owned this car 6 years), having previously owned a 430 and 400 that I kept both until 250k miles. While I mostly agree, I'll provide a counter point.

The LS is a great car and provides a really enjoyable luxury driving experience - it's why I have now owned 3 LS's as the exclusive car I've owned for the last 15 years. Also, I agree with you about crazy inflation, price of used cars, etc. making it virtually impossible to match the value we get out of owning these cars.

However, these cars are NOT inexpensive when things go wrong. The 460 has been by far the least bullet proof LS I've personally owned. At 99k, my brake actuator went bad ($3,500 - covered by Lexus thankfully). Last July I replaced a set of control arms ($1,300). Yesterday I replaced another set of control arms ($1,200). About 3 months ago I did my full 120K service for spark plugs, transmission fluid service, and a slew of other things which ran me about $1,500 at an expensive indy. In 6 weeks I'm dropping $2,500 to have my engine and transmission mounts replaced- my engine mounts have been bad for about 3 years and it has finally gotten to the point that I'm committing to replacing them. So in the course of the last 12 months I will have put about $7k into the LS. On top of that, I'm currently spending over $100/week in gas (premium is on average about $5.29 here).

So here comes the counter point. I personally don't like spending more than about $35-$40k on cars. To your point, I can't really get anything for that price point that excites me... I could get a newer LS but I'm going to keep paying the same amount in gas, etc and would have to set aside some money for maintenance concerns down the road. So what I am tempted to do is put $35k to $40k down on an EV and get my monthly payments to about $400 to $500 per month - which is exactly what I'm spending in gas. So I could get a brand new car that requires no maintenance for $35k-$40k and keep my monthly expenses exactly where they are now (car payment matching gas payment).

I'm choosing to invest in my LS right now because I truly enjoy the car and because I have a lot of other expenses right now that make me want to pause on putting $40k down on an EV for about another year. However, I'm sadly convinced that this will be my last LS for a while - I'm absolutely going to make the move to EV.

I get what you’re saying. It’s all relative and we all have different experiences with these cars. Some good, some not so good.

I am also not saying that these cars are bulletproof all around, mainly it’s drivetrain is solid, but because of the vehicles sophistication, complex nature of the LS460 and advanced tech features it has for its time, parts are bound to fail.

So if someone was going to buy one used, like many of us here, we will preach that make sure many of the most common failures on these cars have been replaced, before even consider buying one. It would be a financial mistake for anybody to fork down say $15K for a 460 and then have to spend another $5K to repair other problems on the car soon after the purchase.

Plus going to the dealership is the biggest financial no no, unless you don’t have any experienced independent Lexus mechanics in your area. Fortunately there’s a few here where I live, and they know these LS’s inside and out and they don’t charge 2 arms and 2 legs for their services either unlike my local Lexus dealer that wants $800 to do a simply transmission flush. 😳😵‍💫

I work from home, so I’m not too concerned about gas right since I don’t drive much now although it’s insanely expensive in CA and I understand that it’s probably not smart to travel a long commute to and from work in something that isn’t fuel efficient but considering the 460’s performance, it’s gets about the same fuel economy as my former 2017 Chevy Impala 3.6L V6. At times I feel like the LS460 does even better on gas than the Impala did.

Regarding EV’s, they are not for everyone. And prices for them are still very expensive. If you don’t own a house with a garage are somewhat well
off financially and have somewhere to plug them in, they aren’t feasible nor realistic to people that live in apartments or condos with no charging stations nearby. Also with energy prices skyrocketing, eventually it’s going to get very expensive to charge an EV in the near future. But each to their own.

Last edited by FlexnLexus; 05-26-22 at 07:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlexnLexus:
dlbuckls10 (05-28-22), jrmckinley (05-26-22)
Old 05-26-22, 08:06 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 366 Likes on 251 Posts

When I picked up my LS yesterday from getting the new control arms I was reminded of how great it feels cruising around at any speed. It has always been my favorite car for a road trip - it's comfortable, silent and has effortless power at highway speeds. It will be nice when I get my mounts replaced so I can go back to wondering if the car is running while stopped at a stop light.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (05-26-22)
Old 05-28-22, 02:44 PM
Spartan117
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I had thought about selling my 16 LS (for GS or GSF) but after a couple of 10+ hours road trip last month, I have come to my senses that it's a keeper. The comfort, luxury touches, NA V8 (effortless power on highway), cabin isolation, and the list goes on. For spirited driving, I might get Miata after car market comes back to normal (I am in no rush).

Wish I had L with ultra lux package.... Get that if it checks your boxes
The following 2 users liked this post by Spartan117:
dlbuckls10 (05-28-22), THE_CEO (06-26-23)
Old 05-28-22, 03:59 PM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Good question for those thinking of getting a European car! I'm glad the previous owner sold his car to me. Don't see myself unloading her anytime soon.
LS460Yeet (05-30-22)
Old 05-28-22, 07:02 PM
ontheroad
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought mine with 125k and its in not the best shape, rims got curb rash, cracks in leather, Airbag in rear is sagging. I kinda am worried its not that reliable. The engine makes a clicking sound too, sounds not good, but maybe injectors. Its not super clean at all. But Im thinking of selling it.
Old 05-29-22, 03:02 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

because the whole world and market will be going 85% electric in the next 4 years.
it makes sense
it performs better
less maintenance.

I will buy a new bmw ix or. Mercedes eq e and keep my ls for a long road trip if I need a gas engine
Mythicalni (05-30-22)
Old 05-29-22, 04:37 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 874 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
because the whole world and market will be going 85% electric in the next 4 years.
it makes sense
it performs better
less maintenance.

I will buy a new bmw ix or. Mercedes eq e and keep my ls for a long road trip if I need a gas engine
Well, that is not going to happen. If you did not notice very few people can actually afford electric vehicles. I am not even going to talk about how much money will the infrastructure upgrade require.
Old 05-29-22, 04:41 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
it makes sense
it performs better
less maintenance.

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Well, that is not going to happen. If you did not notice very few people can actually afford electric vehicles. I am not even going to talk about how much money will the infrastructure upgrade require.
It's a little known fact that 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Cape600L (05-30-22)
Old 05-29-22, 07:37 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

known fact u can choose to succumb to the same ole raise the prices and lower them for a month as long as u choose,

same thing about choices about stop drilling and put regulations on drilling within 60 days of office,

simple brilliance
lol
Old 05-29-22, 11:16 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

High torque v8 rear drive smooth shifting extremely quiet reliable safe car with a spacious interior and trunk that is big enough for my 6’2” 250 pound body and the engine has no vibrations at idle. I have idled the car for hours on end without issue. Nice stereo. Am I missing something?
Old 05-30-22, 02:56 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm a 430 owner and I feel the exact same way. The 430 and 460 are probably the most perfect cars ever built. They have tons of room, extremely reliable, very quiet, very comfortable, and has more than enough power in daily driving. Plus, as some have mentioned, they have goodies that even brand new cars don't have. When my 430 goes one day, I will likely do a 13-17 LS. I wouldn't want to own anything else.

When you drive the best, and I sincerely think the 430 (I'll throw the 460 in that conversation too) is the best, it's impossible to be happy with something else.
Old 05-30-22, 03:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,186 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I'm a 430 owner and I feel the exact same way. The 430 and 460 are probably the most perfect cars ever built. They have tons of room, extremely reliable, very quiet, very comfortable, and has more than enough power in daily driving. Plus, as some have mentioned, they have goodies that even brand new cars don't have. When my 430 goes one day, I will likely do a 13-17 LS. I wouldn't want to own anything else.

When you drive the best, and I sincerely think the 430 (I'll throw the 460 in that conversation too) is the best, it's impossible to be happy with something else.
Now let me tell ya about the D4 A8.......not the same quality level but good god the speed and massaging seats make up for it!
Old 05-30-22, 03:37 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Now let me tell ya about the D4 A8.......not the same quality level but good god the speed and massaging seats make up for it!
Lol 290 hp is enough for me and I don't need a massage while driving.

I'm sure it's a fun car in its own right though.

Quick Reply: Why would anyone consider selling their LS460? Seriously.