LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Asking Vet 460 Owners Some Pre-Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22 | 08:28 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

Default Asking Vet 460 Owners Some Pre-Purchase Questions

I am still homing in on my next LS to join my lexus stable (08-12 desired), have my eye on a few models and am thinking I will likely be avoiding a few options such as air ride while ML is a must. I plan to be very picky and find something as close to a near mint version as possible. Cost is not really a limiting factor (I mean I do not want to get fleeced but I am not looking for a fixer.. while I have above average mechanical skills... my wrench turning days are over! )

I will be extensively using the drivers.lexus portal for service history as well as carfax and do not mind waiting or traveling for the right car. But since these cars (07-12) are now creeping up and over the 100k+ mileage mark, I suspect the air ride will end up being a money sink that I want to avoid.

To that end, I have a few questions from the veteran 460 owners that I was hoping to get answered:

Note I am mostly focusing on 10-12 models unless I find a gem/steal in the 08-09 range (I am avoiding 07s)

1. How rare are L models without air ride? I have found a few I am going to look at but this seems pretty rare.
2. What is the typical aftermarket cost to replace air ride with standard suspension (parts and labor wont be doing this myself)?
3. Are any model years more prone to air ride issues or are they all the same and just have a typical life?
4. I know this is just an estimate - but what is the typical "life" of the air ride in terms of years/mileage?
5. I read a lot about the ML amp going out. Is this - like the air ride - just a matter of time or are some that were defective?
6. I keep reading about ZLZ interior updates - are any models more prone to interior issues and how can i determine "visually" if the interior has been replaced?
7. Is it pretty much confirmed that the front suspension issues (CV) are only a problem with 07-09? Will i need to replace these on the 10-12 models?
8. Are brake acuators a problem on all models or just 07-09?
8. What is the typical repair cost of the brake acuator and CV jobs (again typical cost for parts and labor)
9. Any other issues specific to the F-Sport or L model that I should investigate
10. Are their any other issues with the 10-12 models that I can visually inspect and/or ensure are checked as part of a PPI (I plan to put any car i buy on a rack and ask to inspect)

And finally just for fun... what is everyone's favorite ext/int/wheel combination?
Does anyone have numbers of the rarity/production numbers for paint colors? (I suspect Jade Green is the rarest).
I have settled on Black, White, Silver or Nebula (no SMG) external and black interior (but open to grey or cashmere for the right car) and I prefer the five star chrome or F-Sport wheels best.

Love the knowledgeable vets on this forum and cannot wait to get a supreme 460 to join my mint 430 and first love, my 98 100k miles 400

Thank you!

Last edited by sayow; 06-15-22 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Edit - Grammar
Old 06-15-22 | 09:02 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

In general the years you want will have enough age and mileage so that any parts that have a shorter than normal life will likely have been repaired or replaced already. With the possible exception of brake accumulator. Since you will be looking at service history on Lexus website, the ZLZ will show up there if done. If it hasn't been done, it's beyond the 10 year window for free replacement anyways. Lots of good questions, a site search will reveal many posts about them. I suggest this because you'll find multiple opinions in one place.
The following users liked this post:
Protholl (06-16-22)
Old 06-15-22 | 09:07 AM
Duck05
Pole Position

Would recommend you extend your research into the 2013+ versions as well. I started out targeting 2011 and 2012 models (in 2015) and landed a 2014 for the wife (replacing her 2001 Ls430 which is now my daily).
The following 2 users liked this post by Duck05:
swfla (06-15-22), THE_CEO (06-15-22)
Old 06-15-22 | 11:27 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by Duck05
Would recommend you extend your research into the 2013+ versions as well. I started out targeting 2011 and 2012 models (in 2015) and landed a 2014 for the wife (replacing her 2001 Ls430 which is now my daily).
agreed. I would also aim for 2013+.
2007-12 seems outdated, relatively speaking..
Old 06-15-22 | 03:16 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

I'm just answering the questions I have some clue about

3. Are any model years more prone to air ride issues or are they all the same and just have a typical life? I think a lot depends on what kind of roads you drive on. If the shocks are taking a beating on crappy roads, I could see them giving up sooner rather than later. From what I've seen here, you might get 100k on them. I think all model years are pretty much equal.

5. I read a lot about the ML amp going out. Is this - like the air ride - just a matter of time or are some that were defective? They detuned the amp to some extent (I think for 2010 and up) to prevent issues that were causing premature failure. It doesn't seem to be as big a problem after 2009.

6. I keep reading about ZLZ interior updates - are any models more prone to interior issues and how can i determine "visually" if the interior has been replaced? You can check the panels where you have touchpoints, like knees, elbows, hands. If the dirt is ground into the surface and won't come off, the panels probably haven't been replaced.

7. Is it pretty much confirmed that the front suspension issues (CV) are only a problem with 07-09? Will i need to replace these on the 10-12 models? It's a big, heavy car. At some point, things will wear out.

8. Are brake acuators a problem on all models or just 07-09? They can be a problem on any car, but it seems to be a fairly uncommon issue in the real world.

8. What is the typical repair cost of the brake acuator and CV jobs (again typical cost for parts and labor) I think the actuator repair costs around $2200 at an indie shop, if I remember correctly. No idea with the suspension. People have tried various aftermarket parts, but based on what I've read I'd probably go to the dealer for this.

As for color schemes, I really like mine. Nebula with the parchment interior and matte wood. If I were going for a '13 and up, I'd go for the Flaxen interior with the bamboo trim. Bamboo is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it looks good.

Old 06-15-22 | 03:46 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

It's not very often I see an interior that color that is in such good condition/clean and almost crease free.
Dave144239 (06-16-22)
Old 06-16-22 | 09:12 AM
RufusX
Driver

I echo the suggestion to look at 2013+ models, especially if cost is not a limiting factor. I was able to find a 2015 460L with the ML system and without the air suspension, and it seems like something along those lines would address a lot of your concerns. I understand not everyone loves the exterior changes made on those models, but the interior upgrade is pretty significant, IMO.
Old 06-16-22 | 10:21 AM
R Z
Pole Position

I totally understand your desire to own a 07-12. I think they were the finest years made. I would eliminate the 07-10 and that will hopefully remove most of those questions. Focus on the 11-12 years and if you want an L, I don't know if they all come stock with air shocks, but if so, possible replacement is part of buying used. If you happen to find the car you really want (my color combo is black on black), before you buy, contact your local Lexus dealership and ask to speak to the business or finance manager. See if they can offer you an aftermarket warranty. If so and the price is reasonable then you should be good to go. If you want the name of my Lexus contact let me know. He just got me a great warranty for my current vehicle for 3 years. I still have a month left on the factory warranty and then I'm getting the extended. I wish you luck on finding your car. Cheers!
Mr. Klean (07-05-22)