LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HOLY COW- Went in for a tire vibration and $4,000 later. Crazy??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 10:27 AM
jholder
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HOLY COW- Went in for a tire vibration and $4,000 later. Crazy??

Hey guys!

A few days ago, I mentined a little vibration I had in my 11 LS460L that I bought 2 weeks ago from the Acura dealer. I had them specifically check everything....particularly the suspension systems. When I drove it, I noticed it was ready for new pads...a slight vibration when braking. I didn't make a deal about it and just replaced them after I bought for $600. The car has 138k on it and is in great condition.

Drove after the pads and still felt the vibration. Dropped it at a Tire Discouters close to my home last night and they called earlier with an estimate. Said "we can't believe they sold it in this condition!" Said I need three wheel bearings, hubs, air struts in back replaced, etc. Total just over $4,000. What in the world?? He said all the oil had already leaked out of one of the struts.

Makes me wonder how the pre-inspection, the day of inspection and even my regular guys who changed the brake pads all missed these things. Could they have overlooked if only working on pads? Would those other things be noticable when in there? Wouldn't I notice more than just a faint vibration if all these things were going on??

Attached the estimate. Also left word with the dealer on how we can make some of this right. Who do you have the most faith in with all this?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Order-1088033282(1).pdf (99.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-22-22, 10:55 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 823 Likes on 608 Posts

Just the fact that they are ready to replace 3 of the 4 wheel bearings tells me their azz is sucking swamp water, $10 off on the alignment..nice
Old 06-22-22, 11:27 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by jholder
Hey guys!

A few days ago, I mentined a little vibration I had in my 11 LS460L that I bought 2 weeks ago from the Acura dealer. I had them specifically check everything....particularly the suspension systems. When I drove it, I noticed it was ready for new pads...a slight vibration when braking. I didn't make a deal about it and just replaced them after I bought for $600. The car has 138k on it and is in great condition.

Drove after the pads and still felt the vibration. Dropped it at a Tire Discouters close to my home last night and they called earlier with an estimate. Said "we can't believe they sold it in this condition!" Said I need three wheel bearings, hubs, air struts in back replaced, etc. Total just over $4,000. What in the world?? He said all the oil had already leaked out of one of the struts.

Makes me wonder how the pre-inspection, the day of inspection and even my regular guys who changed the brake pads all missed these things. Could they have overlooked if only working on pads? Would those other things be noticable when in there? Wouldn't I notice more than just a faint vibration if all these things were going on??

Attached the estimate. Also left word with the dealer on how we can make some of this right. Who do you have the most faith in with all this?
While these items are common/normal wear parts for many vehicles that are more than 10 years old and over 100k miles, I would get a 2nd estimate and then go from there with regards to maybe taking it up with the Acura dealer. Unfortunately, a lot of mechanical parts are labor intensive and often the reason the labor cost to remove old/install new is the same, and often more, than the part itself. I think some general repair shops see a luxury vehicle like the LS and see $$$ for repairs/parts, whether really needed or not. At least you now have a record and can price shop so to speak.

Just off-hand, it appears the parts mark up is 50-70%, but more importantly, with the wheels hubs for instance, what brand are they using? I would want Lexus OEM or Timken. In fact, to be proactive, last year I purchased both front wheel hubs from a low mileage LS salvage/wreck for $50 each....for when the day arrives they're needed.
The following 2 users liked this post by lwphat66:
swfla (06-22-22), THE_CEO (06-25-22)
Old 06-22-22, 11:58 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

It could just be the tires causing the vibration. Go drivers.lexus.com, log in , enter VIN number. You'll be able to see any dealer work, including suggestions. Maybe the vibration will be addressed. I'm with LWPHAT on the possibility of incorrect diagnosis and creating work not needed. LS460 doesn't have traditional alignment adjustments. If it's out of align, it's due to damaged, bent parts or tires. I suggest Toyota. Less money than Lexus and the experience to know Lexus cars. See what they say about a vibration concern. Do some searching, self education here on shock replacement. Is your car AWD?
Old 06-22-22, 01:09 PM
jholder
Rookie

No – it is not all wheel drive.

my biggest question – could literally three sets of technicians missed all of this stuff if it was legitimate?
Old 06-22-22, 02:22 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I think your question makes me wonder how one tech caught all this stuff after several others cleared it? You paid for a pre inspection and I'd tend to trust in that decision. Plus, getting another opinion will add facts to the situation.
BTW 2wd is easier to work on in general.

Last edited by swfla; 06-22-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-22-22, 03:09 PM
jholder
Rookie

Originally Posted by swfla
I think your question makes me wonder how one tech caught all this stuff after several others cleared it? You paid for a pre inspection and I'd tend to trust in that decision. Plus, getting another opinion will add facts to the situation.
BTW 2wd is easier to work on in general.
exactly. I have been incredibly, incredibly impressed at this dealership and the way they have handled both the buying experience and this experience.

The sales manager called me immediately after I sent an email explaining the situation. He assured me that he was going to talk with every person in their service department that touched that car. He was also going to pull the records of exactly what they did.

sure enough, he called me a couple hours later with a full rundown. And a great attitude of wanting to understand and figure out the situation.

after we both talked through it in detail, we both agree that it would be very strange that the dealership, then that second inspection, then my people that I’ve used for 25 years almost this many issues. And the fact of the matter is, if it had all of this going wrong, it would not ride so incredibly.

No wonder they were so eager that they could work me in on it today! The dealer said that he called the tire shop and they were very defensive right off the bat. It would have been unfortunate if I didn’t know better than to verify.
Old 06-22-22, 03:33 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I'm glad you asked here at the forum. Collectively, there's probably very little we haven't seen. someone is always ready for a mystery too. Tires on a luxury car are an important part of the ride. When it's time, do some research and get good tires that are liked by forum members.
Old 06-22-22, 03:55 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

A vibration especially on the freeway or even low speed is usually caused by warped rotors, worn tires, bad alignment and because it’s a RWD, the driveshaft U-Joint and in the Lexus case, a bad rubber flex disk that mounts to the transmission could be the cause.

That’s insane that they are stating the Air Suspension and and 3 wheel bearings? They might as well just say all 4 then 😒 and call it a day. Sounds like a huge rip-off to me. Bad wheel hubs/bearings usually have a grinding humming sound coming from them when they go bad. And don’t necessarily cause a shaky vibration although I could be wrong.

Never trust tire shops and or lube shops. In my experience working in the auto parts field years ago and having to deal with them on a daily basis, the majority of their techs aren’t as experienced or as professional and honest compared to independent repair shops, mostly kids off the street. They work off upselling since this is how they make their money. Since most of them simply just do fluid changes, and tire replacement, there’s not much profit being made so they try everything they can to make as much money as possible by lying to customers in order to do repairs that aren’t needed.

Not only that, they all use the cheapest crappiest parts that they can get. Quality doesn’t matter to them. Even major companies like Firestone uses Autozone parts, it’s like whatever is available RIGHT NOW to get the job done to make money is the only thing they care about. High weekly and monthly sales report is these types of shops thrive for, it’s their goal, not quality of work or customer service for the most part.

The only tire shop I trust is Discount Tire, because they don’t offer any other kind of service to upsell or to take advantage of you. They just do tires and that’s it. Plus they do have great customer service and higher quality people that work there.

Also that dealership probably knew your Lexus needed work but decided it wasn’t worth spending all that money on the repairs and was hoping someone would come along like yourself and buy it so now it’s your responsibility. It’s messed up and not right, but that’s how dealers work nowadays. Again, it’s all about money and profit to them, those pre-inspection are half assed. Hopefully that dealer can make it right for you, and maybe all you need are new rotors, new tires and alignment.
Old 06-22-22, 03:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Dealers never honestly present a car since it's unlikely the tech really knows what they are doing/don't have time to look it over. They get an hour for an inspection and that's really only enough time to do 1/3 of the car.
Old 06-22-22, 04:54 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexnLexus
A vibration especially on the freeway or even low speed is usually caused by warped rotors, worn tires, bad alignment and because it’s a RWD, the driveshaft U-Joint and in the Lexus case, a bad rubber flex disk that mounts to the transmission could be the cause.

That’s insane that they are stating the Air Suspension and and 3 wheel bearings? They might as well just say all 4 then 😒 and call it a day. Sounds like a huge rip-off to me. Bad wheel hubs/bearings usually have a grinding humming sound coming from them when they go bad. And don’t necessarily cause a shaky vibration although I could be wrong.

Never trust tire shops and or lube shops. In my experience working in the auto parts field years ago and having to deal with them on a daily basis, the majority of their techs aren’t as experienced or as professional and honest compared to independent repair shops, mostly kids off the street. They work off upselling since this is how they make their money. Since most of them simply just do fluid changes, and tire replacement, there’s not much profit being made so they try everything they can to make as much money as possible by lying to customers in order to do repairs that aren’t needed.

Not only that, they all use the cheapest crappiest parts that they can get. Quality doesn’t matter to them. Even major companies like Firestone uses Autozone parts, it’s like whatever is available RIGHT NOW to get the job done to make money is the only thing they care about. High weekly and monthly sales report is these types of shops thrive for, it’s their goal, not quality of work or customer service for the most part.

The only tire shop I trust is Discount Tire, because they don’t offer any other kind of service to upsell or to take advantage of you. They just do tires and that’s it. Plus they do have great customer service and higher quality people that work there.

Also that dealership probably knew your Lexus needed work but decided it wasn’t worth spending all that money on the repairs and was hoping someone would come along like yourself and buy it so now it’s your responsibility. It’s messed up and not right, but that’s how dealers work nowadays. Again, it’s all about money and profit to them, those pre-inspection are half assed. Hopefully that dealer can make it right for you, and maybe all you need are new rotors, new tires and alignment.
I also sense a rip-off here. Wheel bearing normally result in a hum that increases with speed. You did not say anything about humming noise, did u drive the car in the highway? You can never miss 3 bad bearings…
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (06-22-22)
Old 06-23-22, 05:17 AM
jholder
Rookie

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I also sense a rip-off here. Wheel bearing normally result in a hum that increases with speed. You did not say anything about humming noise, did u drive the car in the highway? You can never miss 3 bad bearings…
exactly. We took some friends to dinner last night to a place an hour away. The car is dead silent and drives like a 21. And no one can hear that tiny hum but me—naturally.

I think it’s clear they saw dollars.
Old 06-23-22, 05:28 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

LS460 wheel alignment is $89 at a reputable shop in Houston with Hunter machine.
Old 06-23-22, 05:49 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by texas008
LS460 wheel alignment is $89 at a reputable shop in Houston with Hunter machine.
One can check the alignment on LS460. But there are no adjustments if it's off. Worn or bent parts will need to be changed $$$$. Unless there's evidence of uneven tire wear or pulling to one side, (indicating alignment issues), it's a waste of money. If you feel the need, go to Toyota or Lexus for alignment check. They understand the LS is different.
The following users liked this post:
gaptapzap (06-26-22)
Old 06-23-22, 06:40 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 823 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
One can check the alignment on LS460. But there are no adjustments if it's off.

2013 awd has camber and toe in the front.

Last edited by Gerf; 06-23-22 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: HOLY COW- Went in for a tire vibration and $4,000 later. Crazy??