LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just brought a 2013 LS460 RWD with 140K miles. Asking for suggestions of all kinds!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-22, 05:46 PM
zxc89997
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Just brought a 2013 LS460 RWD with 140K miles. Asking for suggestions of all kinds!

This is the first time I post here, I've been read posts in this wonderful forum since I started to consider buying a LS460. I was able to get a LS460 RWD without air suspension with 140K miles for 23K. I know it's a bit overpriced, but I generally think I cannot get a cheaper 2013-present model other than this one. So far this car looks good, drives good! Although the ride quality is not as wonderful as I imagined. It might be the aged suspension parts. Anyway, I did oil change/ air filter change/cabin filter change/transmission fluid drain&fill/ transmission fluid filter and pan filter change (cost me ~550$ in total, DIYed air and cabin filter change because they are very easy). I'd like to do more DIY but unfortunately I don't have a very good place for me to lift my car up and do things. Dealer installed two new Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires for the rear before I brought it. I had this car checked by a mechanic, he said everything looks fine, two front struts might have been replaced. There is a little sign of wet near the engine head gasket but no immediate treatment is needed.

Here's the question I have. I plan to keep this car for three or more years. Considering this milage, what should I look out for? ie. water pump, coolant leaking, struts, control arms, oil burning. Appreciate all kinds of advise! I really want this car to run well and I would try to do precautions to keep it away from breaking down. Is there anything I can do to save some money while keeping this car clean and tight? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Lavoisier (06-25-22)
Old 06-23-22, 07:46 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Congrats. A matching set of four premium tires can make a huge difference in ride smoothness when the time comes. Log in to drivers.lexus.com and review maintenance records. Coolant and brake fluids may require changing as well. Plugs are due at 100k. Clean both MAF sensors and throttle body. Put injector cleaner in gas tank. At this mileage, most any wear item could need attention, just like any car. This is a heavy car and if the previous owner drove it aggressively, suspension parts will wear sooner. Keep up synthetic oil change schedule to avoid engine issues. Use top tier gas. There are replaceable air filters under the two front seats likely to be filthy by now.
GX4704ME (05-10-23)
Old 06-24-22, 06:06 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Congrats. Consider taking the car to an independent mechanic who specializes in Toyota/Lexus. Have them go through the car front to back and assess wear and tear and replacement parts as they come about. This should give you a maintenance plan that will allow you to put aside funds when these parts need replacing. Otherwise, you have a great car. Enjoy.
swfla (06-24-22)
Old 06-24-22, 08:11 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

BTW I notice you are in CA. Here in San Diego, it's so dusty, my engine filters and cabin filter get dirty rather quickly even though I drive low miles annually. Just check them after 5k to get a feel for how quickly they get dirty. Speaking of filters, OEM filters almost always have more filtering surface area than aftermarket.
Old 06-24-22, 10:34 AM
zxc89997
6th Gear

Originally Posted by swfla
Congrats. A matching set of four premium tires can make a huge difference in ride smoothness when the time comes. Log in to drivers.lexus.com and review maintenance records. Coolant and brake fluids may require changing as well. Plugs are due at 100k. Clean both MAF sensors and throttle body. Put injector cleaner in gas tank. At this mileage, most any wear item could need attention, just like any car. This is a heavy car and if the previous owner drove it aggressively, suspension parts will wear sooner. Keep up synthetic oil change schedule to avoid engine issues. Use top tier gas. There are replaceable air filters under the two front seats likely to be filthy by now.
Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately I only found maintenance records up to 90K miles, that's when the car was sold to the last owner. I believe he did all maintenance at small shops or DIY. I can feel very little vibration and a good response of transmission and engine when I test drove this car, which eventually make me believe it should be well maintained even though not by dealerships. Plus I took the car to a local famous mechanic shop, they said the car is fine, nothing to worry about. I will definitely change the brake fluid like you said at my car's next maintenance. MAF sensor is a new word for me, I just googled it, but I will definitely check it soon. What are those filters under front seats for? Are they also cabin filter?
Old 06-24-22, 10:36 AM
zxc89997
6th Gear

Thanks, that sounds like a nice way to plan ahead, I will try to look for a Lexus specialized shop and talk with them about this.
Old 06-24-22, 10:39 AM
zxc89997
6th Gear

BTW I notice you are in CA. Here in San Diego, it's so dusty, my engine filters and cabin filter get dirty rather quickly even though I drive low miles annually. Just check them after 5k to get a feel for how quickly they get dirty. Speaking of filters, OEM filters almost always have more filtering surface area than aftermarket.
Make sense! I will check that. Thanks for the information. For my LS, my idea is that I don't need anything extra from it, so I'll just use OEM for everything because it's not gonna hurt the car. That's what I want the most.
Old 06-24-22, 04:04 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Two MAF sensors, just buy a can of MAF cleaner, it works well on the throttle body as well. The seat filters are for the vented front seat fans. Just undo all four bolts that anchor the seat and tip it forward. You can just wash the filters if you want but I ordered new ones. You can remove one easy to access spark plug and inspect it before buying a new set of plugs (about $130).
Old 06-24-22, 04:16 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus and I wish you good luck with your new car!

It sounds like you've covered all the bases and you got some good advice from the other members.
Old 06-26-22, 06:16 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by zxc89997
Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately I only found maintenance records up to 90K miles, that's when the car was sold to the last owner. I believe he did all maintenance at small shops or DIY. I can feel very little vibration and a good response of transmission and engine when I test drove this car, which eventually make me believe it should be well maintained even though not by dealerships. Plus I took the car to a local famous mechanic shop, they said the car is fine, nothing to worry about. I will definitely change the brake fluid like you said at my car's next maintenance. MAF sensor is a new word for me, I just googled it, but I will definitely check it soon. What are those filters under front seats for? Are they also cabin filter?
Which vehicle did you have before the LS460? Pretty much all modern fuel injection vehicles use MAF or MAP sensor(s). I highly recommend you get very well acquainted with the 460 and its various parts and issues/fixes. Search function and sticky threads can be invaluable in helping with DIY maintenance/repairs, or at least to educate before taking the car into a shop. Also, a good idea to get feedback here before buying replacement parts and/or having a mechanic or dealership perform the work for you.

I have seen numerous threads here where cheap parts have been used to save a few dollars (relatively speaking), only to have them either not work or cost more money and time then if a known OEM or reliable brand part was used to begin with. TPMS sensors seem to be most prevalent.
THE_CEO (01-02-23)
Old 06-26-22, 07:18 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Excellent advice from LWPHAT66
Old 06-27-22, 10:11 AM
zxc89997
6th Gear

Two MAF sensors, just buy a can of MAF cleaner, it works well on the throttle body as well. The seat filters are for the vented front seat fans. Just undo all four bolts that anchor the seat and tip it forward. You can just wash the filters if you want but I ordered new ones. You can remove one easy to access spark plug and inspect it before buying a new set of plugs (about $130).
Thanks. I just cleaned my MAF sensor during the weekend and poured a bottle of STP fuel in injector cleaner in the gas tank.
Old 06-27-22, 10:18 AM
zxc89997
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lwphat66
Which vehicle did you have before the LS460? Pretty much all modern fuel injection vehicles use MAF or MAP sensor(s). I highly recommend you get very well acquainted with the 460 and its various parts and issues/fixes. Search function and sticky threads can be invaluable in helping with DIY maintenance/repairs, or at least to educate before taking the car into a shop. Also, a good idea to get feedback here before buying replacement parts and/or having a mechanic or dealership perform the work for you.

I have seen numerous threads here where cheap parts have been used to save a few dollars (relatively speaking), only to have them either not work or cost more money and time then if a known OEM or reliable brand part was used to begin with. TPMS sensors seem to be most prevalent.
I had a VW Passat 2017 before this LS460. I believe they are very different two cars. Actually EA888 Gen 3 in that VW is very stable and trouble free, as least in my 61000miles usage. I didn't see any oil leak or oil burning. I'm pretty satisfied with my Passat, but just think LS460 can bering me way more experience by adding a little more money. Thanks very much for the advise. I've been looking through those common issues on this nice forum. Things drawing my attention are the brake actuator, valley plate coolant leaking, and control arms. I'm a little bit worried about the valley plate leaking since the coolant level in my car is always slightly lower than the "low" line, I tried topping off it in several consecutive days, but it always stays ay that low position after few days of driving. Coolant temperature are fine.
Old 06-27-22, 11:21 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by zxc89997
I had a VW Passat 2017 before this LS460. I believe they are very different two cars. Actually EA888 Gen 3 in that VW is very stable and trouble free, as least in my 61000miles usage. I didn't see any oil leak or oil burning. I'm pretty satisfied with my Passat, but just think LS460 can bering me way more experience by adding a little more money. Thanks very much for the advise. I've been looking through those common issues on this nice forum. Things drawing my attention are the brake actuator, valley plate coolant leaking, and control arms. I'm a little bit worried about the valley plate leaking since the coolant level in my car is always slightly lower than the "low" line, I tried topping off it in several consecutive days, but it always stays ay that low position after few days of driving. Coolant temperature are fine.
Check coolant level first when cold, then again after a drive and it's hot. For years, my 2007 is at low or just slightly above when cold, and when hot, it's right at the high mark or slightly above. You might try adding just a small amount of coolant when it's cold so that it's just above the low mark, and then check it again after a drive and it's hot. Congrats on getting the 460, and hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Hot level:

Last edited by lwphat66; 06-27-22 at 12:13 PM. Reason: pic added