LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-22, 11:23 AM
BMo5
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Electrical Issues

Background: I have a 2007 LS460 base 2wd w/ about 188k miles. I noticed back when it was cold (around freezing and below), when I first started the car, the electrial cluster would restart over and over until things warmed up a little. The car ran fine during this process, but the instrument cluster would restart over and over. Battery is 2 years old. There is a litlte corrosion on the starter cable, but hasn't really been a problem.

Main problem: I just had the torque converter replaced at a local shop and the battery was disconnected for over 10 days. When they hooked back up the battery, it threw both a 0031 and 0051 code, the VSC alert light is on, and the AC doesn't just back on when I restart the car (turn the car off with AC in auto @ 70 degrees - when I restart, the AC is just off and reset to 75 degrees - it will not take any commands for a few minutes - after a few minutes I can turn it back on and reset the temp). Also, the steering is sudden slightly off center. The shop did not mess with any suspension parts. The shop did remove the exhaust to replace the torque converter which means the fuel/air sensors were disconnected, but odd that both sensors would go out at the same time.

Follow up to date: I've driven about 500 miles and cleared the codes multiple times for it to only come right back.

Given all the other issues happening, I'm thinking it's not the sensors, but something more systemic. Anybody have any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thank you!
Old 07-18-22, 12:03 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

Sure, your problem is that several systems need to be reset with Techstream software. Trans, ac, steering and more. Find an indy shop who has the software or Toyota/Lexus dealer. Very typical issue. BTW a little corrosion visible usually means a lot of hidden corrosion. It can cause electrical problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
Lavoisier (07-19-22), Protholl (10-10-22)
Old 07-18-22, 02:02 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 883 Likes on 653 Posts

The shop just had some work done on your car and now you have multiple error codes. I wonder, if there is correlation...
The following users liked this post:
Cape600L (10-04-22)
Old 07-18-22, 02:09 PM
BMo5
Rookie

Originally Posted by Anfanger
The shop just had some work done on your car and now you have multiple error codes. I wonder, if there is correlation...
I never questioned the correlation. Neither did the shop. I'm not here to place blame. Just looking for solutions.

I have a techstream cable and software. Just need to get it all put together. Thanks for the guidance.
Lavoisier (07-19-22)
Old 07-18-22, 02:12 PM
BMo5
Rookie

Originally Posted by swfla
Sure, your problem is that several systems need to be reset with Techstream software. Trans, ac, steering and more. Find an indy shop who has the software or Toyota/Lexus dealer. Very typical issue. BTW a little corrosion visible usually means a lot of hidden corrosion. It can cause electrical problems.
That's why I noted it. But would that corrosion cause weird issues like this? Sure it'll mean more work for the battery to turn the starter. It can mean a los of battery power eventually. But I think you answered my question. While i need to replace the cable, that's not causing my codes,etc.
Old 07-18-22, 02:31 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 584 Likes on 414 Posts

This can be really hard to diagnose, let alone fix. But I'd start with ground points check. Then check JBs for water intrusion. Etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Boykie:
Protholl (10-10-22), swfla (10-04-22)
Old 07-18-22, 03:32 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,274 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by BMo5
That's why I noted it. But would that corrosion cause weird issues like this? Sure it'll mean more work for the battery to turn the starter. It can mean a los of battery power eventually. But I think you answered my question. While i need to replace the cable, that's not causing my codes,etc.
I mention this because it's a possibility and when there are electrical problems, it's proper procedure to look at battery and connections. I obviously can't see your battery or cables to exactly diagnose a problem. I agree that codes are unlikely to be triggered but the dash gauges might be. Hope you have a manual to tell you what items need calibration and how to do this. Anyhow, good luck.
Old 07-18-22, 04:22 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 883 Likes on 653 Posts

Measure the pressure in the AC system. You might have to add more refrigerant and potentially fix a leak.

In Techstream, you should be able to see behavior of the oxygen sensor that throws codes. Have you tried that?
swfla (10-04-22)
Old 10-04-22, 06:53 AM
BMo5
Rookie

So spent the money (>$500 for the two sensors) and the codes are cleared. Very strange that both went out at the same time, but the old sensors were tested and both failed. Strange, but ohms don't lie (right?)

Thanks for everyone's input.
swfla (10-04-22)
Old 10-10-22, 07:20 AM
BMo5
Rookie

Back to this subject or corrosion: has anyone replaced their battery - starter cable? OEM cables are ridiculously expensive. Not sure but thinking 3 feet should be close to the right length.

I couldn't find any videos or posts about anyone replacing just the cable. I watched a few videos on replacing the starter - looks like a real pain. One video, he removed the exhaust and sway bars. Anyone have any experience doing this on an LS460. I just changed out a starter on a LX470 this weekend. Wasn't too bad, but so much more space!

Thank you!