LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need insight- which one???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-22, 04:31 PM
WisdomG
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need insight- which one???

Hi everyone, I知 new to the forum!

AFTER ALL THE RESEARCH ON EVERY USED LUXURY VEHICLE..My wife and I have come to the resolve that Lexus is best go with win purchasing a used vehicle. For her the 2010-2012 rx350 of course. ( she also throwing around 13-14 MDX on sly)
However for me 07 Ls 460 SWB .. it calls me In my sleep for some reason (quite scary actually lol). My dilemma : found 2 460s - one with 191,000 miles at $11,000 with pretty strong history of service from Lexus dealer & 3 owners from Missouri to Prominent area in Tennessee for a while the to the countryside ..

The other with 120,000 miles at $13,999 -service history is blotted a tinch but there and a few services from Lexus too! - with radiator hose replacement, water pump, not a lot of oil change history until close to 100k , side mirror replacement, interior noises checked, engine powertrain computer module checked, repainted & 3 Owners from Florida to a prominent area in Tennessee for a short stint the to the countryside for a while!

Soooo, I知 confused, only because I am mechanically inclined.. and wonder if the latter was doing his or her own work too?! Which I値l never really know, or should I just focus on the one with more service presence??!

my gut says go with the higher mileage one!!

thank you
The following users liked this post:
Lavoisier (08-03-22)
Old 08-02-22, 05:01 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Your interpretation of the service history is not specific enough for me to make a recommendation. If you post them, it would help. That said, have you researched the FAQ at the top of this page? It's to your benefit to research this or you could get some nasty high price repair surprises down the line. There are several maintenance items that should have been addressed by now or getting to the point of needing service. I also strongly recommend a pre-purchase inspection for trouble codes and a visual from a Lexus savvy shop. Just recently someone bought an LS that had the codes erased and after a couple of days is now looking at $3-4k in repairs. An inspection would have saved the day.
Lavoisier (08-03-22)
Old 08-02-22, 05:22 PM
WisdomG
10th Gear

Ok. Thank you. I will have that inspection done a Lexus mechanic for sure then. Also I致e read the ES350 is way easier to deal with but I don稚 really love the Es .. previous body lack personality!
and the Gs 350 08 might have been dogged out!
But In a nutshell your saying stay away in general.. unless inspection goes well , but still tread carefully.
Old 08-02-22, 05:47 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

No, I'm not saying to stay away. I'm saying educate yourself about a couple of items that may need repair. Parts for luxury cars in general are expensive as are repairs, for any import brand. If I had to pick one, I'd lean toward the lower mileage. For $3k difference it's a low mileage car with less wear and tear and less likely to need expensive parts, all other things being equal. These engines and transmission can give you 300,000+ miles, but like any car, low mileage is better in general. But a high mileage car that's had consistent care can be a better car vs a low mile car with poor care for an extreme comparison. As a rule, an LS will get good care in it's first 5-7 years/first owner. As a for instance in LS460, regular brake fluid changes will likely mean less chance of pricey repairs to the brake system. Lots of members here have old LS and love them. The LS is completely different from an ES, yet both are reliable Lexus cars. I'd also consider why the car was painted. Due to a collision? Minor or severe? Have the inspection look for signs of structural damage issues.
WisdomG (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 06:36 PM
Cape600L
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I concur with everything swfla has said. Every market is different, but here in the northeast(facebook marketplace) I am seeing 09,10 for for $10-12K. I did lot's of research before I bought my 09 L/AWD. I looked at one car that showed 87K miles. Made a deal and was going to go back with the cash. Watched a YT video that recommended doing a VIN check on Lexus Owners page. Car had 287K actual miles! Lets just say I walked away from that one. If you are mechanically inclined you can do lot's of the work on these cars. Use the lack of records, etc to your advantage in negotiations and than do the work yourself. I took an afternoon and did plugs, seals, valve cover gaskets, HP fuel pump gaskets, belt/tensioner blah blah blah. Was pretty easy. Also definitely get it scanned for codes. These are complicated cars that can tear your wallet apart quickly. Do your diligence and don't get your desire for the car to cloud seeing the cars for what they really are.
swfla (08-02-22)
Old 08-02-22, 06:39 PM
WisdomG
10th Gear

I really appreciate it you guys! Gonna look up the vin tonight
Old 08-02-22, 06:55 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Create an account on www.drivers.lexus.com. Then enter the vin of the car, you can look at official service history by dealers. It's not always complete but just add it to what you have found elsewhere. Also look for conflicting info.
Old 08-02-22, 06:59 PM
WisdomG
10th Gear

Gotcha..thanks.. will post back tomorrow
Old 08-03-22, 01:50 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 892 Likes on 659 Posts

When you check the car with lower mileage, pay attention to the paint job. LS460 has overall good original paint but if it was repainted, the quality of job and the paint need to be checked. As @swfla stated, there is a checkup list specific to LS460, in short, you need to check:
- suspension
- steering
- abs pump and actuator (abnormal noises)
- coolant leaks from radiator, pump, and the valley plate
- oil consumption
- oil leaks, especially, close to valve covers and high pressure fuel pumps
- motor and transmission mounts
- interior
- condition of the brake fluid
- any pending or existing error codes
- vibrations
- transmission fluid condition
- differentials and transfer case fluids
- starter issues
- ac operation
- headlights especially with steerable beam
- front bearings
- brakes

Last edited by Anfanger; 08-03-22 at 01:53 AM.
swfla (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 07:39 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

I would pass on both of them. 191,000 miles is simply too many and a re-paint is always a hard pass for me. There are plenty of these for sale in your price range. Keep looking.
dlbuckls10 (08-03-22)
Old 08-03-22, 08:44 AM
WisdomG
10th Gear

Sorry for the delay
info On the lower mileage / new paint job 460

*21,000 miles : Idler pulley replaced & fuel delivery pipes

*43,000 miles : Service: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE

Description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~ALE SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN ~|~VALVE SPRINGS MAY BREAK ~|~REPLACE ALL 32 VALVE SPRINGS AND LASH ADJUSTERS PER CAMPAIGN ALE
  • 50,000 miles : New battery ( parasitic draw..) and wheel alignment ( cause vibration)
  • 56,000 miles: replaced water pump & courtesy switches ( hurting battery)
  • 64,000 miles: Service: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE
Description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON CHECK OUT ALL ECM CODES CHECK OUT SYSTEM ~|~ ~|~CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON DUE TO BRAKE MALFUNCTION SEE LINE 2

Service: OTHERS

Description:

Description: OTHERS ~|~CS BRAKE MALFUNCTION SHOWING IN GAUGE CLUSTER ~|~C1345 LINEAR SOLENOID VALVE OFFSET LEARING UNDONE C1368 LINEAR SOLENOID VALVE OFFSET INTERNAL PROBLEM IN BRAKE ACTUATOR ~|~REPLACED BRAKE ACTUATOR PER L-SB-0016-16

Service: SSC ELF - FUEL PRESS

Description:

Description: SSC ELF - FUEL PRESS ~|~C/R PERFORM SSC ELF - POTENTIAL FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR LEAK (IS-F, GS460, LS460, LS600HL) ~|~THE SEALING PROPERTY OF THE GASKET SEATED IN BETWEEN THE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR AND THE FUEL DELIVERY PIPE COULD BECOME DEGRADED. DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, FUEL COULD LEAK PAST THE GASKET. ~|~REPLACED THE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR GASKET AS PER SSC ELF SSC ELF COMPLETED READ LESS

Service: VEHICLE INSPECTION
  • Description: VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~QUALITY VEHICLE INSPECTION
  • 70,300 miles: Service: 5K BG PREFERRED
Description: 5K BG PREFERRED ~|~CUSTOMER REQUESTS A 5K MILE BG PREFERRED SERVICE ~|~CUSTOMER REQUESTS A 5K MILE BG PREFERRED SERVICE ~|~PERFORMED A 5K MILE BG PREFERRED SERVICE PER CUSTOMER'S REQUEST

Service: SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN

Description: SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN ~|~C/S THAT WHEN ACCELERATING QUICKLY, THERE SEEMS TO BE EXCESSIVE HESITATION OCCURING. C/S THAT IT SEEMS TO TAKE TOO LONG FOR THE VEHICLE TO SHIFT INTO GEAR. CHECK/ADVISE ~|~ ~|~UPDATED ENGINE ECU AND TRANSMISSION ECU CALIBRATION SOFTWARE TO UPDATED PROGRAMS TO ADDRESS CONCERN ALSO TOPPED OF TRANS FLUID READ LESS

• Description: VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~QUALITY VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~ ~|~INSPECTION COMPLETE
  • 76,000 miles: Description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~CUSTOMER REQUEST OIL FILTER CHANGE CHANGE ENGINE OIL & OIL FILTER WITH FLUID LEVEL INSPECTION INSPECT A/T OR M/T FLUID LEVEL INSPECT DIFFERENTIAL FLUID, INSPECT TRANSAXLE FLUID FILL WASHER RESERVOIR INSPECT BATTERY FLUID LEVEL ADJUST TIRE PRESSURE TO PROP ~|~ ~|~SERVICE COMPLETED
  • 101,000 miles:
Service: RED AIR FLITER

Description: RED AIR FLITER ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~ENGINE AIR FILTER REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Service: RED BATTERY

Description: RED BATTERY ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~BATTERY REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Service: RED BRAKE

Description: RED BRAKE ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~BRAKES REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY LR LINING: 2 MM RR LINING: 2 MM ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Service: RED CABIN FILTER

Description: RED CABIN FILTER ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~CABIN FILTER REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Service: RED LEAK

Description: RED LEAK ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~FLUID LEAK REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Service: RED TIRES

Description: RED TIRES ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~TIRES REQUIRE ATTENTION TODAY LR TREAD: 3/32" RR TREAD: 3/32" ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Service: RED WINDSHIELD

Description: RED WINDSHIELD ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~WINDSHIELD ISSUE REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Description: VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~QUALITY VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~ ~|~SENT SG FOR ALL NEEDED REPAIRS

Service: WASH & VAC

Description: WASH & VAC ~|~CUSTOMER REQUEST COMPLEMENTARY CARWASH WEATHER PERMITTING ~|~ ~|~COMPLIMENTARY CARWASH AND VACUUM PROVIDED

Service: ZLZ
  • Description: ZLZ ~|~SPA ZLZ INSPECTION ~|~TOOK PICTURES OF DRIVER SIDE LOWER PANEL, GLOVE BOX, CENTER CONSOLE, AND REAR CONSOLE PANEL. ~|~SENT PICTURES TO SERVICE MANAGER FOR SUBMISSION AND APPROVAL
  • 109,000 miles :Service: BRAKES
  • Description: BRAKES ~|~REAR BRAKE PADS AT 2MM, AS NOTED DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION. ADVISED CUSTOMER AND CUSTOMER REQUESTS TO REPLACE THE REAR BRAKE PADS AND RESURFACE THE REAR ROTORS. ~|~. ~|~REPLACED REAR BRAKE PADS AND RESURFACED THE REAR ROTORS. SERVICE COMPLETED. READ LESS
  • Description: ZLZ ~|~C/S INTERIOR PANELS ARE STICKY ~|~INTERIOR PANELS STICKY DUE TO UV RAY DETERIORATION ~|~REPLACED GLOVE BOX ASSY, CENTER CONSOLE, CENTER CONSOLE REAR PANEL, AND DRIVER SIDE LOWER INSTRUMENT PANEL
  • Oil change history spotty with Lexus. But on record with Valvoline & separate repair shop in country side per car fax.
  • And no accidents reported per Car Fax ( but gonna check another site)
Old 08-03-22, 08:45 AM
WisdomG
10th Gear

Higher mileage 460 Lexus info.

*5000 mile service

*9000 miles: Service: CAMPAIGNS

Description: CAMPAIGNS ~|~8LA IDLER PULLEY CAMPAIGN PER LETTER ~|~CAMPAIGN 8LA ~|~REPLACED 2 IDLER PULLEYS HT
  • 10,000 mile: maintenance service customer request
  • 15,000 mile : maintenance & rest service light
  • 19,000 mile: Service: FRONT/REAR BODY
Description: FRONT/REAR BODY ~|~RATTLE IN DASH=RIGHT OF CENTER ~|~RATTLE FROM INSTRUMENT PANEL SAFETY SUB PAD-TSB#NV011-07 ~|~REMOVE DASH PAD ASSY,REPLACE COWL CLIPS P/N# 55328-50160

Service: FUEL DELIVERY PIPE
  • Description: FUEL DELIVERY PIPE ~|~PERFORM SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN 9LA ~|~REPLACE FUEL DELIVERY PIPES ~|~PERFORMED SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGAN 9LA
  • 25,000 routine maintenance & radio fix
  • 28,000 miles : navigation update and service
  • 37,000 miles: Service: OTHERS
  • Description: OTHERS ~|~C/S VIBRATION WHEN BRAKING AT HWY SPEEDS ~|~FRONT ROTORS HAVE EXCESSIVE RUNOUT ~|~MACHINED FRONT ROTORS ON CAR. TEST DROVE
  • Description: R. DSC 1-SD INCL;R&R DSC PAD ~|~VIBRATION WHEN BRAKING AT HWY SPEEDS - FELT IN SEAT INSPECT BRAKE ROTORS, BRAKE CALIPERS, BRAKE HOSES AND LINE CHECK BRAKE FLUID LEVEL ROAD-TEST VEHICLE ~|~REAR ROTORS HAVE EXCESSIVE RUNOUT ~|~MACHINED REAR ROTORS ON CAR. TEST DROVE READ LESS
  • 42,000 miles : Service: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE
  • Description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~ALE VALAVE SPRINGS REPLACEMENT CAMPAIGN ~|~VALVE SPRINGS MAY BREAK DUE TO METAL CONTAMINATION DURING THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS ~|~REPLACE ALL 32 VALVE SPRINGS AND LASH ADJUSTERS PER CAMPAIGN ALE
  • 54,000 miles : Service: REAR AXLE-DIFFERENTIAL
  • Description: REAR AXLE-DIFFERENTIAL ~|~RECOMMENDED SERVICING THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL ~|~ ~|~SERVICE COMPLETE
  • 59,000 miles: battery replacement
  • 64,000 miles : Service: BRAKES
  • Description: BRAKES ~|~C/S VIBRATION WHEN BRAKING AT HWY SPEEDS - PLEASE ADVISE ~|~FRONT PADS ARE IN THE RED.REAR ARE OKAY ~|~REPLACE FRONT PADS AND MACHINE ROTOR AND TEST DRIVE
  • 69,000 miles: Service: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE
Description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~C/S OIL HAS BEEN LOW BETWEEN OIL CHANGES - PLEASE NOTE HOW LOW BEFORE OIL CHANGE AND START CONSUMPTION TEST ~|~OIL LEVEL BEFORE OIL CHANGE WAS FULL MILEAGE 69,321 COME BACK IN 2500 MILES TO CHECK OIL LEVEL ~|~SERVICE COMPLETED READ LESS

• Description: OTHERS ~|~REPLACE ENGINE OIL & FILTER CHECK ALL FLUIDS LEVELS RESET MAINTENANCE LIGHT CAR WASH & VACUUM INTERIOR ~|~. ~|~SERVICE COMPLETED
  • 80,000 miles : Service: AC DUST FILTER
Description: AC DUST FILTER ~|~REPLACE AC CABIIN FILTER ~|~ ~|~SERVICE COMPLETE
  • Service: ACCESSORY
Service: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE
  • Description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~SERVICE REAR DIFFERENTIAL ~|~ ~|~SERVICE COMPLETED
  • 90,000 miles : Service: BRAKES
  • Description: BRAKES ~|~REPLACE REAR BRAKE PADS. REMOVE AND RESURFACE REAR BRAKE ROTORS. INSPECT BRAKE ROTORS, BRAKE CALIPERS, BRAKE HOSES AND LINE CHECK BRAKE FLUID LEVEL ROAD-TEST VEHICLE ~|~PADS MEASURE 3MM ~|~REPLACED REAR BRAKE PADS AND MACHINE ROTORS. SERVICE COMPLETE READ LESS
  • 101,000 miles: Description: VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~QUALITY VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~ ~|~PERFORMED INSPECTION
Service: WS TRANS SERVICE BG
  • Description: WS TRANS SERVICE BG ~|~ADVISE AS TO NEED OF TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE ~|~ ~|~PERFORMED BG TRANS SERVICE
  • 116,000 miles : Service: SSC ELF - FUEL PRESS
Description:

• Description: SSC ELF - FUEL PRESS ~|~C/R PERFORM SSC ELF - POTENTIAL FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR LEAK (IS-F, GS460, LS460, LS600HL) ~|~THE SEALING PROPERTY OF THE GASKET SEATED IN BETWEEN THE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR AND THE FUEL DELIVERY PIPE COULD BECOME DEGRADED. DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, FUEL COULD LEAK PAST THE GASKET. ~|~REPLACED THE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR GASKET AS PER SSC ELF SSC ELF COMPLETED
  • 126,000 : Service: BRAKES
Description: BRAKES ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~BRAKES REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY FRONT BRAKE PADS IN THE RED - ROTORS GLAZED ~|~RESURFACED FRONT BRAKE ROTORS AND REPLACED PADS VERIFIED REPAIR

Service: MISC
  • Description: MISC ~|~C/S RIGHT SIDE MIRROR NOT FOLDING IN ~|~WILL REQUIRE REPLACEMENT OF MIRROR ASSEMBLY ~|~SPECIAL ORDER REQUIRED $1100 INSTALLED
  • 137,000 miles : Service: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE
  • Description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~CUSTOMER REQUEST OIL FILTER CHANGE CHANGE ENGINE OIL & OIL FILTER WITH FLUID LEVEL INSPECTION INSPECT A/T OR M/T FLUID LEVEL INSPECT DIFFERENTIAL FLUID, INSPECT TRANSAXLE FLUID FILL WASHER RESERVOIR INSPECT BATTERY FLUID LEVEL ADJUST TIRE PRESSURE TO PROP ~|~ ~|~SERVICE COMPLETED.
  • 162,000 miles: Service: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE
Description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~USED CAR INSPECTION CHANGE ENGINE OIL & OIL FILTER INSPECT ALL FLUID LEVEL CHECK CAR ALL OVER ~|~ENGINE OIL AND FILTER REPLACED.VEHICLE NEEDS A BATTERY,AC FILTER,AIR FILTER,WIPER BLADES,AND TIRES NEED TO BE ROTATED AND BALANCED.ALL WORK DECLINED. ~|~SERVICE COMPLETED. READ LESS

Service: RED AIR FLITER

Description: RED AIR FLITER ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~ENGINE AIR FILTER REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Service: RED BATTERY

Description: RED BATTERY ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~BATTERY REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Service: RED CABIN FILTER

Description: RED CABIN FILTER ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~CABIN FILTER REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY AC FILTER NEED REPLACING ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Service: RED WINDSHIELD

Description: RED WINDSHIELD ~|~FOUND DURING VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~WINDSHIELD ISSUE REQUIRES ATTENTION TODAY ~|~REPAIR NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIME

Service: USED CAR MARTA

Description: USED CAR MARTA ~|~UCI/CPO MARTA ~|~RD TEST FOR MARTA INSPECTION ~|~COMPLETE UCI/CPO MARTA INSPECTION

• Description: VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~QUALITY VEHICLE INSPECTION ~|~ ~|~SERVICE COMPLETED
  • From 162,000 it stated showing up at valvoline for oil changes, etc..
  • 170,0000 at Lexpro ( independent Lexus shop) for service . Then valvoline from there. On and on..

In between those Lexus services were oil changes and filters and trans axel checks .. ( I didn稚 put in here)

CARFAX show no accidents or damage reported also.
Old 08-03-22, 08:46 AM
WisdomG
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TriC
I would pass on both of them. 191,000 miles is simply too many and a re-paint is always a hard pass for me. There are plenty of these for sale in your price range. Keep looking.
sorry just seen this.. so you really think so?
Old 08-03-22, 09:11 AM
WisdomG
10th Gear

Also it seems neither has air ride suspension. Which I did read a lot about certain troubles with those here and there.
Old 08-03-22, 10:28 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by WisdomG
Also it seems neither has air ride suspension. Which I did read a lot about certain troubles with those here and there.
1K per strut for air ride...
WisdomG (08-03-22)

Quick Reply: Need insight- which one???