LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

HELP. ABS, VSC, BRAKE MALFUNCTION caused by speed sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 04:42 AM
2008LKA
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP. ABS, VSC, BRAKE MALFUNCTION caused by speed sensor?

I drive a 2008 LS 460L (European Spec). I purchased it recently from an owner who took pretty good care of it and had 0 warning lights on the dash. However, when I was driving it a few days back, I went over a hump, after which, the tire pressure monitoring system light went off on the dash, accompanied with the "Check tyre pressure system" message appearing on the little box in the middle. I didn't think much of it since I thought it was just a minor issue.

After around half an hour of driving (on the same trip), I get bombarded with a bunch of warning lights, ABS, VSC, BRAKE MALFUNCTION, PCS, along with the "Stop the vehicle immediately" message. I looked online and asked around local garages for some advice, and the most common reply was to just replace the ABS and Brake Actuator system. I haven't scanned codes as I don't have a code reader.

But after delving deeper into forum discussions, I have learnt that the Speed Sensors, TPMS and ABS are all correlated (This may be common knowledge to you guys or I could be completely wrong on this). So my question is, could the root cause of my ABS problem just be that the speed sensors gave in which caused the TPMS lights to go off, shortly followed by the ABS, VSC and BRAKE lights?

​​​​​​Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
​​​
​​​​

​​​
Old 08-30-22, 06:35 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

No. TPMS is seperate from others. This isn't a wheel speed sensor problem. There is a sensor with a battery in all five tires, spare included. You could be low on air in one tire, including spare. OR one sensor battery has worn out, 2008, you're due. Check any repair and maintenance records to see if was ever replaced.
The other lights need to be checked with a code reader without a doubt. LS460 is a very complex, computer controlled system. The best diagnostic tool is Techstream software that any Lexus or Toyota dealer has. These other lights can all add up to $3000 USD if parts are bad. You'll want someone who has experience with Lexus as these repairs are specialized just like M Benz are. The brake control system is a commonly known failure point, mostly because it's so expensive if it ever happens. Not every car has this issue.
Go to top of page and read FAQ. Scroll down to brakes and read.
The following users liked this post:
2008LKA (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 10:29 AM
2008LKA
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
No. TPMS is seperate from others. This isn't a wheel speed sensor problem. There is a sensor with a battery in all five tires, spare included. You could be low on air in one tire, including spare. OR one sensor battery has worn out, 2008, you're due. Check any repair and maintenance records to see if was ever replaced.
The other lights need to be checked with a code reader without a doubt. LS460 is a very complex, computer controlled system. The best diagnostic tool is Techstream software that any Lexus or Toyota dealer has. These other lights can all add up to $3000 USD if parts are bad. You'll want someone who has experience with Lexus as these repairs are specialized just like M Benz are. The brake control system is a commonly known failure point, mostly because it's so expensive if it ever happens. Not every car has this issue.
Go to top of page and read FAQ. Scroll down to brakes and read.
Alright, thanks so much for the insight, will look into the FAQ.