LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS600hL will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-22, 10:47 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Hi, glad you chimed in. No need to apologize for an old post. We're all human. Apparently this car uses a proprietary OEM battery. As such, it's computer module would be set up for this specific battery. I don't know the specifics of this battery or if the temperature sensor, or lack of, can throw a code. It appears that some have used a lead acid battery and it works fine. At it's price point, even if lead acid only lasts 2 years, it's still much cheaper than the OEM battery and probably a good alternative. We all want to see the OP get his car running reliably with no codes. New tech seems to complicate things at times.
Mike, do you have a link to where a conventional battery was used for a LS600h?
Old 09-24-22, 09:27 AM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by USLEX
Mike, do you have a link to where a conventional battery was used for a LS600h?
I suggest reading the link jmcraney posted above. Here it is again. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-this-one.html

In the link Jiffypop used a conventional H7 ( non agm) . Fyi Walmart carries both types. There is nothing wrong with using an oem $500 battery either, aside from it being $500 lol.

Last edited by miket000; 09-27-22 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-27-22, 10:29 AM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Eating "Crow" is unpleasant. As I said above, the OEM battery for LS600s is a flooded-cell type and not an AGM type. I know this from pictures others have posted. Before I saw pictures, I believed that only an AGM battery would work because it was mounted in the trunk and a sealed battery is required in that kind of installation. The OEM battery is sealed with a hose to vent/drain charging gasses and liquids overboard. With that sort of arrangement you can safely use a flooded-cell battery mounted in the trunk. The charging requirements for AGM and flooded-cell batteries are different. So, it's pretty certain that the charging system in the LS600s is for a flooded-cell battery. That means it is not correct for an AGM battery. The correct battery is a flooded-cell type. The Interstate MTP-94R/H7 is an example of a correct battery. Is it OK to use an AGM battery? I say no, but others in this forum strongly believe it is.

Last edited by jmcraney; 09-27-22 at 11:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (09-27-22)
Old 09-30-22, 11:20 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Eating "Crow" is unpleasant. As I said above, the OEM battery for LS600s is a flooded-cell type and not an AGM type. I know this from pictures others have posted. Before I saw pictures, I believed that only an AGM battery would work because it was mounted in the trunk and a sealed battery is required in that kind of installation. The OEM battery is sealed with a hose to vent/drain charging gasses and liquids overboard. With that sort of arrangement you can safely use a flooded-cell battery mounted in the trunk. The charging requirements for AGM and flooded-cell batteries are different. So, it's pretty certain that the charging system in the LS600s is for a flooded-cell battery. That means it is not correct for an AGM battery. The correct battery is a flooded-cell type. The Interstate MTP-94R/H7 is an example of a correct battery. Is it OK to use an AGM battery? I say no, but others in this forum strongly believe it is.
Technically you should use an AGM battery because it's in the trunk which is considered the passenger cell compartment; but with that little vent who knows. I had weird issues when my battery was dying; I gunned the throttle on the PCH and the car shut down; I had to pull over to the side of the road and restart it. I jumped it a couple times and then just bit the bullet and replaced. it.

I ended up with a Bosch AGM battery from Pep Boys; it's an L4/94r and it was less than half the $500 the dealer wanted. Peeled the little sensor off the OEM and then put it on the new one. Someone on a GS450h thread recommended it. Fits into the standard well fine; the positive terminal is a little awkwardly placed but it works.

The OEM battery lasted almost 10 years; it just start the electronics. I had to restart it a couple times after replacing it but almost 4 years later no issues. Again the draw on the battery when starting is minimal as it just boots up the car but these cars have a heavy draw and I bet after a couple months most batteries would be flat. My LS430 was consuming batteries during the pandemic; every 6 months I had to return it and get another one.

Last edited by jainla; 09-30-22 at 11:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jainla:
miket000 (10-01-22), swfla (10-01-22), USLEX (12-18-22)
Old 12-18-22, 08:18 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Thanks Mike. Good info. My battery is still good for another 2 years I think. This is good to know for the future so I don't have to pay $400 for a battery.

Originally Posted by miket000
I replaced mine a few weeks ago. After reading some other threads which recommended H7 batteries I picked one up at walmart. $150 and 2 hours later...

Unfortunately there was a small 1/8" lip on the bottom of the H7 I purchased, just my luck. It still fit within the tray opening but wouldn't sit flat on the bottom of the tray.

Out with the old D31

There were 2 bumps in the tray which I cut out. With them removed the H7 fit. Another option would have been to shave off some of the plastic on the battery.

Made it smell good.

Then to top off the fun. The battery ended up 1\4" too short. At this point I was finished playing. I stuffed some spacers under the bracket for a snug fit.
Old 12-18-22, 08:27 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Thanks jainla. This looks promising.
Update on my situation. We had 2 hurricanes come through and I put my battery tender on it for at least 2 weeks. All was good but the console lights were like a Christmas tree. I finally got around to loading TechStream on my new laptop and cleared them out. All seems good now. I don't drive the LS600 much so I still keep the battery tender on it so I don't have to hassle with this.
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT JUMPED IN TO HELP ME! Love you guys and this community.

Originally Posted by jainla
Technically you should use an AGM battery because it's in the trunk which is considered the passenger cell compartment; but with that little vent who knows. I had weird issues when my battery was dying; I gunned the throttle on the PCH and the car shut down; I had to pull over to the side of the road and restart it. I jumped it a couple times and then just bit the bullet and replaced. it.

I ended up with a Bosch AGM battery from Pep Boys; it's an L4/94r and it was less than half the $500 the dealer wanted. Peeled the little sensor off the OEM and then put it on the new one. Someone on a GS450h thread recommended it. Fits into the standard well fine; the positive terminal is a little awkwardly placed but it works.

The OEM battery lasted almost 10 years; it just start the electronics. I had to restart it a couple times after replacing it but almost 4 years later no issues. Again the draw on the battery when starting is minimal as it just boots up the car but these cars have a heavy draw and I bet after a couple months most batteries would be flat. My LS430 was consuming batteries during the pandemic; every 6 months I had to return it and get another one.
Old 06-27-23, 04:07 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Hello Jainla,

My battery is officially dead. I searched the Bosch L4/94r at Pep Boys but they do not sell them anymore as far as I can tell. I searched online also. No luck. Any suggestions for known working replacements? Thank you.

Originally Posted by jainla

Old 06-28-23, 03:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Buy an H7 size AGM battery , it's the same thing as a 94R. If you can get an H8 to fit I would go with that since it will have better AH and lifespan.
USLEX (06-28-23)
Old 06-28-23, 08:58 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Striker223
Buy an H7 size AGM battery , it's the same thing as a 94R. If you can get an H8 to fit I would go with that since it will have better AH and lifespan.
Thank you very much. Do you have any guidance on connecting the temperature sensor and fumes tubing?
Old 06-28-23, 11:06 PM
trogdor113
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Your other thread has the answers you need. Any AGM battery will have vent holes at either end, and come with a plug to fill whichever is not used. 3rd-party batteries don't have a specific location for a temperature sensor, but there's usually a good spot in the top of the case for it to fit. It really depends on which battery you buy.

After you pull the Panasonic battery from the trunk, follow the electrical connector under the label and you'll find it ends in a small probe. Use a razor blade to slice the label to get at it. The car monitors the aux battery temperature, but it's honestly probably overkill. You mostly just need it plugged in to avoid fault codes.
USLEX (06-29-23)
Old 06-29-23, 06:12 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trogdor113
Your other thread has the answers you need. Any AGM battery will have vent holes at either end, and come with a plug to fill whichever is not used. 3rd-party batteries don't have a specific location for a temperature sensor, but there's usually a good spot in the top of the case for it to fit. It really depends on which battery you buy.

After you pull the Panasonic battery from the trunk, follow the electrical connector under the label and you'll find it ends in a small probe. Use a razor blade to slice the label to get at it. The car monitors the aux battery temperature, but it's honestly probably overkill. You mostly just need it plugged in to avoid fault codes.
Thank you. I'll tackle this after vacation next week.
Old 07-23-23, 02:50 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Thank you again for all the advice from you and everyone in my post. I ended up going with a $206 EverStart H7 from Wal-Mart. w/ a 4-year free replacement warranty (not sure how much of a hassle that will be if I have to cross that bridge.)
Measurements were way off as experienced by MikeT. Way off! I still managed to make it fit with no mods. The fumes vent hole was too small to fit and as far as I could see no plug to remove. It just used a small screwdriver and made it big enough to fit my fumes vent hose.

Started right up fine. Haven't for more than 150 feet though. Only problem I having is the yellow caution light and tire pressure monitor warning and telling me to take it to the dealer. I have and ODBII scanner and erased the error code but it both still show on my console. I'll do some research from Club Lexus and Internet and see if I can find a way to resolve this.

Any further help you guys have is appreciated.

Last edited by USLEX; 07-25-23 at 09:43 PM.
miket000 (07-24-23)
Old 07-24-23, 09:48 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

Good job getting it running.

I'd guess you have one or more weak batteries in your tires ( tpms). Discount tire can diagnose the tire pressure light for free. They charge around $60 each to replace the tpms sensors. If the tpms are in need of replacement replacing them may also clear your yellow caution light.
USLEX (07-25-23)
Old 07-25-23, 06:33 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Original tpms batteries would be 15 years if original. That's the longest I recall seeing here on forum. Be sure to replace spare tire tpms as well or you may still get error. Don't buy bargain priced sensors from web, they don't last long if they work at all.
USLEX (07-25-23)
Old 07-25-23, 09:31 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by miket000
Good job getting it running.

I'd guess you have one or more weak batteries in your tires ( tpms). Discount tire can diagnose the tire pressure light for free. They charge around $60 each to replace the tpms sensors. If the tpms are in need of replacement replacing them may also clear your yellow caution light.
Thanks. Should I get them the TPMS replacements from Discount Tire? Are they from DENSO or aftermarket brand? Any warranty? I know you may not know but asking anyway. I think I may be able to find DENSO ones off the web. And depending on the price difference of Discount Tire and DENSO ones, I will make my decision.

Quick Reply: 2008 LS600hL will not start