LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Install Rockford fostgate 12 inch punch sub for marklevinson amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-22, 02:58 AM
LexLuv8000
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Install Rockford fostgate 12 inch punch sub for marklevinson amp

Hey guys, there’s gotta be a easier way to install besides taking out the rear seats or cutting a hole in the rear deck. Would you guys happen to know the east and best way? Please advise,
Old 09-24-22, 08:24 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 823 Likes on 608 Posts

You can't(shouldn't) cut a hole in the rear deck because it is structural and the angle of the rear window brings the glass too close to the deck for any cutting.

The rear seat lower and upper IMO has to come out to route and secure the power wires for the amp, I don't believe you can wire directly to the existing amp without having issues. A standard or custom sub enclosure is the only option again... IMO.

The following users liked this post:
swfla (09-24-22)
Old 09-24-22, 09:22 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

I agree with Gerf. A powered subwoofer in it's own enclosure is your best bet. Run the power wire to the battery, don't hook it into an existing circuit. I had a similar setup and was very happy with the sound and feel, even though it was isolated in the trunk. That's how low frequencies work.
Old 09-24-22, 12:53 PM
LexLuv8000
Driver

Originally Posted by swfla
I agree with Gerf. A powered subwoofer in it's own enclosure is your best bet. Run the power wire to the battery, don't hook it into an existing circuit. I had a similar setup and was very happy with the sound and feel, even though it was isolated in the trunk. That's how low frequencies work.
thanks guys! I was able to take the rear cover of the seat and go through behind the padding so I put the power cables through the small holes connected to the trunk. This was the most clean way to not take out the rear seats but hide the cord along the side of the seat and buried. I messed up today by placing the battery in the wrong direction and short fused the car and had to tow it to Lexus. Praying God that I dont get charged so much…… will update my setting since my local shop will finish the job. I couldn’t get the power cord to the engine…. Passenger side was too compacted with so many things….. gonnna let the pro finish it off
Old 09-24-22, 04:55 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 140 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLuv8000
thanks guys! I was able to take the rear cover of the seat and go through behind the padding so I put the power cables through the small holes connected to the trunk. This was the most clean way to not take out the rear seats but hide the cord along the side of the seat and buried. I messed up today by placing the battery in the wrong direction and short fused the car and had to tow it to Lexus. Praying God that I dont get charged so much…… will update my setting since my local shop will finish the job. I couldn’t get the power cord to the engine…. Passenger side was too compacted with so many things….. gonnna let the pro finish it off
DOH! I also hope you're NOT in for a large bill from Lexus!

Bummer you couldn't figure out the proper route to run the power cord. Removing the rear seats took me much longer than to remove the side panels on the passenger side of car. Since you've already routed the power cord starting from the trunk into the cabin, you're at most (more like 30 min) 1 hour from wiring to the battery. I just finished a install a few weeks ago, and took some pics of routing the power cord from battery, down the side of passenger side, to the trunk. Do a search w/ my handle, if you have a change in heart and want to self install your system.

As others have mentioned, I wouldn't swap out the OEM sub w/ an aftermarket installed in the rear deck...Save yourself $ and time, and get a all in 1 unit. Rockford Fosgate has the in 10 & 12", along with 2 different levels of amp power. I have the 10", which is plenty bass for my taste.

GL w/ the dealership, and to the rest of the installation. Please update when you get everything installed.
The following users liked this post:
LexLuv8000 (09-24-22)
Old 09-24-22, 09:15 PM
LexLuv8000
Driver

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
DOH! I also hope you're NOT in for a large bill from Lexus!

Bummer you couldn't figure out the proper route to run the power cord. Removing the rear seats took me much longer than to remove the side panels on the passenger side of car. Since you've already routed the power cord starting from the trunk into the cabin, you're at most (more like 30 min) 1 hour from wiring to the battery. I just finished a install a few weeks ago, and took some pics of routing the power cord from battery, down the side of passenger side, to the trunk. Do a search w/ my handle, if you have a change in heart and want to self install your system.

As others have mentioned, I wouldn't swap out the OEM sub w/ an aftermarket installed in the rear deck...Save yourself $ and time, and get a all in 1 unit. Rockford Fosgate has the in 10 & 12", along with 2 different levels of amp power. I have the 10", which is plenty bass for my taste.

GL w/ the dealership, and to the rest of the installation. Please update when you get everything installed.
actually I did get that 12 inch sub Rockford punch.
how did you manage to wire it to the battery? There’s literally no space to put your hand through from battery area unless the battery holder is taken out( I couldn’t even take that out.) good thing is I didn’t have to take the rear seat out so gonna have to ask the pro to secure the surrounding hole so it won’t shorten out later down the line.
Old 09-24-22, 10:21 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 140 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLuv8000
actually I did get that 12 inch sub Rockford punch.
how did you manage to wire it to the battery? There’s literally no space to put your hand through from battery area unless the battery holder is taken out( I couldn’t even take that out.) good thing is I didn’t have to take the rear seat out so gonna have to ask the pro to secure the surrounding hole so it won’t shorten out later down the line.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...o-upgrade.html

The first 2 pics is how I got the power wire from battery, through firewall, finally into trunk. When I got the wire to the back seat area, I ran it through one of the holes into the trunk.

You must remove the bottom battery tray in order to get the power wire through the firewall. This is easy…remove battery from car & it’ll expose 4 screws that holds battery tray in place. Remove the 4 screws & bottom tray to get access to firewall.

From there, my trusty coat hanger did the rest of the dirty work for me!
The following 2 users liked this post by XF40FSPORT:
LexLuv8000 (09-24-22), swfla (09-25-22)