LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus LS460 won't start, died while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-22, 04:08 AM
MagicP
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus LS460 won't start, died while driving.

So a few weeks back I got back from a trip after not driving my LS for about 2 months thereabout. I had a mechanic that I've used a few times to check it out before I started driving it again after letting it sit.

The battery at this point still had some juice because it was only a year old, due to have been replace last year after the car sat for an extended period last year. Sure enough it fired right up, the mechanic ran a scan tool on it told me to get some fuel cleaner to put in the gas tank and to get a oil change and have some other cleaner put into the engine to clean that up after letting the car sit for awhile, one dashboard light that was not a battery light nor a check engine light on, Im not entirely sure what that dashboard light was. All seemed fine though, I drove it a few times for about a week, one day I drove it around for a few hours running errands, etc probably was driving for about 6-7 hours, I only turned it off maybe twice in the time span, again it seemed fine.

The next day however, I got in the car and started driving I got about 5 miles and suddenly what seemed like every single light on the dashboard light up, and in the center I got a message about a major brake system failure and it said to immediately contact a dealership, the brake pedal definitely was not functioning normally, Im not sure exactly how to describe it but something was definitely wrong, and in addition the power steering went dead. I got it off the road and parked it after I parked it I cut the car off since it seemed obvious the car was going to have to be towed, I called my mechanic I told him what happened, and I mentioned how the brake actuators are gremlins in these cars and if that could possibly be the issue, he ask if the car will start I tried to turn the car back on it was completely dead, his immediate thought was that it was likely a bad alternator and that might have caused all the electronics systems in the car to go haywire.

So I tow it back to my place, he comes out and tries to check it out, he hooks a jump pack up to the car, it still wouldn't start so he recommends I get a new battery since that one was toast and I would need a new battery at this point regardless, he did recommend a specific battery however due to not having a car, I had a friend pick up a battery and I forgot to mention to him to get the specific battery he recommended so when I put the new battery (duralast) in, the lights on the dash did light up, it SOUNDED like it was going to start at first but ultimately didn't, then after the intial attempt to start the car it just started making what I could best describe as "clicking" sound every time I hit the start button. The lights on the dash, etc all went completely dead again no more then 10 mins after the new battery went in.

So I called my mechanic up told him what happened, he asked what battery I got he said that the battery might still be an issue because I guess Duralast batteries are total ****. but that now he thinks it might be a starter, my friend who is more mechanically knowledgeable also thinks it might be a starter. My buddy and the mechanic are both recommending trying another battery aka returning this now seemingly drained battery and see if that will at least get it to kick over for him to then run a diagnostic.

I trust my mechanic to be honest with me, I am however kinda worried because while he has worked on higher end domestics he wasn't a Lexus mechanic and the LS460 as I've learned can be a complex car especially in regards to the electrical systems,etc.

I don't know what to think at this point, I don't want to take it to the dealership but I also don't want to just start throwing parts at it blind which until I get a diagnostic I don't know what other options I have, or how to proceed.

So I come to Club Lexus and hope someone can point me in the right direction with this, it made sense when he said it could be the alternator, and it does make sense that it could be a starter, what is everyone's recommendation?

Car is a 2010 LS460 AWD, about 80k on the clock.
Old 10-31-22, 06:13 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,281 Likes on 990 Posts

You need to have a shop hook up a code reader to OBD2 port to find any codes. Sounds like you're talking to mechanic on phone more than hiring him to fix it. There's your problem. If you think he's not up to it, go to an indy shop that specialize in Asian cars. Dealer will be very costly. You need eyes on.
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
4litre (10-31-22), Protholl (10-31-22)
Old 10-31-22, 01:33 PM
MagicP
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swfla
You need to have a shop hook up a code reader to OBD2 port to find any codes. Sounds like you're talking to mechanic on phone more than hiring him to fix it. There's your problem. If you think he's not up to it, go to an indy shop that specialize in Asian cars. Dealer will be very costly. You need eyes on.
Thats been part of the problem, he has a full time job and family, etc and while I've never squabbled with him over a penny for his work/time, I'm not going to beg him to come do the work. I was kind of perturbed when he came, checked the battery then more or less sent me off to go replace the battery without a working vehicle, which stretched things out further. I'm sure he could fix it, he's pretty knowledgeable and he's fair on his prices. I am just not a very handy guy at all, and while I'm not expecting white glove service here, I didn't even have a god dammed socket wrench to swap the battery nor a running car to go get them, I guess my money isn't to his liking or he just really doesn't want the work.

I've reached out to a local shop with a high number of good reviews on google and will tow it to them. Despite their fair labor rates I'm certain it will still end up costing quite a bit more then what he would have probably charged me, but its as you said I'm talking to him over the phone trying to sandwich this in between his work schedule more then he's working on the car.

Last edited by MagicP; 10-31-22 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
4litre (10-31-22)
Old 12-06-22, 06:06 AM
SCLexusAZ
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just happened to me a month ago, it's a bad alternator. I replaced the alternator and car is back to normal. The dash lighting up like a Christmas tree was pretty scary! However, it dawned on me that the car just didn't have enough juice to power any of the systems.
Old 12-06-22, 07:55 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SCLexusAZ
This just happened to me a month ago, it's a bad alternator. I replaced the alternator and car is back to normal. The dash lighting up like a Christmas tree was pretty scary! However, it dawned on me that the car just didn't have enough juice to power any of the systems.
Sounds like a bad alternator to me as well.
Old 12-06-22, 11:53 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Alternator, the solenoid, which can be replaced separately but at US labour rates no point doing that. The connectors to the alternator could also be an issue both were for me more than a couple of times.