LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls460 2008 hesitation on the 2nd to 3rd gear then rpm rev up

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-22, 03:25 AM
pokol
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls460 2008 hesitation on the 2nd to 3rd gear then rpm rev up

My Lexus LS 460 2008 have this issue. I want to know if someone has the same issue.
thanks
Old 11-02-22, 07:04 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 858 Likes on 633 Posts

clublexus Ls460 2008 hesitation on the 2nd to 3rd gear

search this, searching works very well.

Last edited by Gerf; 11-02-22 at 07:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (11-02-22)
Old 11-02-22, 07:57 AM
pokol
3rd Gear

[QUOTE=Gerf;11387136]clublexus Ls460 2008 hesitation on the 2nd to
Old 11-02-22, 02:38 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 894 Likes on 660 Posts

When did you change the transmission fluid last time?
pokol (11-06-22)
Old 11-02-22, 02:56 PM
pokol
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Anfanger
When did you change the transmission fluid last time?
Lexus just changed the transmission fluid a month ago. They said the issue is gone but it didn’t go away.
Old 11-02-22, 03:29 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 894 Likes on 660 Posts

I would call the dealer and explain the issue. Do not forget to mention that the dealer has recently replaced the fluid to address the issue.
pokol (11-03-22)
Old 11-02-22, 06:24 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 528 Likes on 325 Posts

I'd have them remove the transmission pan, clean the pan magnets, and replace the transmission filter. Simply draining and filling doesn't remove all the gunk. If your over 150k miles the magnets are likely saturated, unable to collect any more debris until the pan is dropped and cleaned. After that if the issue comes back I'd have a shop flush it.

Your tranny has the same magnets as this
pokol (11-03-22)
Old 11-03-22, 04:45 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

Backflushing can restore trans operation.
pokol (11-03-22)
Old 11-06-22, 01:16 AM
Cape600L
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Backflushing can restore trans operation.
Not to be rude, but that is the worst thing you can do! Proven over and over to never do that! The dealer needs to do a re-learn on the transmission module. Between that and the new fluid you should be good.
pokol (11-06-22)
Old 11-06-22, 09:24 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cape600L
Not to be rude, but that is the worst thing you can do! Proven over and over to never do that! The dealer needs to do a re-learn on the transmission module. Between that and the new fluid you should be good.
my Lexus dealer(south county lexus), owned by warren buffet offers and does perform backflushes. Luxury motorcars in Monrovia,ca, the luxlink builder for remote sc430 operation also performs them. No issues.

I tried drain and fill then the backflush. Noticeable improvement.

Steve at luxury motorcars mentioned that at 100k plus miles some trans start to shift erratically. Backflush fixes almost all of them. Btw 60k out of the USA is the trans fluid change interval.

no pontification please. You only know what you know. Not everything. The backflush cured my Toyota solar convertibles erratic shifting at 150k miles also. Drain and fill helped but the backflush fixed it.

‘Like I said the Lexus dealer here in south Orange County, ca. does backflushes for many years without incident. Maybe you should call them and tell them and Steve that they are wrong?
pokol (11-06-22)
Old 11-06-22, 10:19 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

my Lexus dealer(south county lexus), owned by warren buffet offers and does perform backflushes. Luxury motorcars in Monrovia,ca, the luxlink builder for remote sc430 operation also performs them. No issues.

Steve at luxury motorcars mentioned that at 100k plus miles some trans start to shift erratically. Backflush fixes almost all of them. Btw 60k out of the USA is the trans fluid change interval.

no pontification please. You only know what you know. Not everything. The backflush cured my Toyota solar convertibles erratic shifting at 150k miles also. Drain and fill helped but the backflush fixed it.

‘Like I said the Lexus dealer here in south Orange County, ca. does backflushes for many years without incident. Maybe you should call them and tell them and Steve that they are wrong?
Haha, sure man. Keep doing that and telling people it will be fine.

What you should do it change the filter so the pump can actually flow fluid properly then backflush it if you still want to risk damage vs just draining and filling.
pokol (11-06-22)
Old 11-06-22, 11:20 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Maybe I haven't been paying attention and I haven't searched for it either but I can't recall anybody posting to say the had a flush performed and it took out the trans.
I have read of people that have fairly major problems that ended up in trans replacements but those tranny's were probably too far gone anyway.

The term backflush is wrong also because the pump is controlling the flow of oil and the machine only adds approximately what is pumped out, nothing is going backwards.
I've done lots of flushes if you want to call them that, they are just fluid changes...with a machine on pre WS sealed transmissions and this was without a filter/screen change with zero problems.
I think it's the filling procedure where things go south, with a "flush machine" hot or warm fluid id taken out and room temp fluid goes in and that has a different volume. If you think flat rate people are going to spend much time on getting the level just right you are mistaken.
pokol (11-06-22)
Old 11-06-22, 03:05 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

search the forum, many people had their transmission fail after flush.

Get your dealer to commit that they will replace your transmission at no charge if it fails after the flush. If they are good with that, go for it,
pokol (11-06-22)
Old 11-06-22, 03:56 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hfahmy
search the forum, many people had their transmission fail after flush.
Do you think that the flush actually caused the failures for those people or is it because people are just driving the cars for 100k + miles with no service and had existing problems that were going to end up in failure whatever they did?
Some people state they drive those miles and more problem free without a service, I believe that fluid has to be changed along with the filter at regular intervals.
That filter looks like a felt blanket.
Old 11-06-22, 06:15 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gerf
Do you think that the flush actually caused the failures for those people or is it because people are just driving the cars for 100k + miles with no service and had existing problems that were going to end up in failure whatever they did?
Some people state they drive those miles and more problem free without a service, I believe that fluid has to be changed along with the filter at regular intervals.
That filter looks like a felt blanket.
agree.

my local Berkshire Hathaway owned lexus dealer has done thousands. I think they do not recommend it at ultra high miles. 150k plus?

Quick Reply: Ls460 2008 hesitation on the 2nd to 3rd gear then rpm rev up