LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Heater blower repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-22, 12:59 PM
hlheaton
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heater blower repair

My heat/AC fan blower was making a squealing noise, indicating dry bearings. Normally I would simply replace it with a new one, but a new one cost anywhere from 250 to 600 USD!! For a fan motor!

I decided to try lubricating the bearings myself to temporarily fix it, so I took the blower out and disassembled it. Once I had it apart I realized that relubricating it was probably a permanent fix, and even if it went dry again in a few years it could be easily relubricated again. Here is the procedure, most DIYers should be able to do this repair.

1. Remove the lower panel from the dash underside on the passenger side of the vehicle. No tools are required, just unclip the plastic clips by hand, remove the clip holding the wire to the courtesy light and unplug the light. Set the panel aside.

2. Unclip the wire from the blower assembly and remove the three screws. The blower assembly can now be removed.

3. Remove the electronics package by removing the cover then removing the two screws holding it to the blower base plate. Gently unclip the three electrical clips from the motor leads. Try not to bend or damage them. When removing the electronics package the outside end is fastened with non-hardening black adhesive, so you will have to pull a little. Try to not damage the adhesive as it will be reused.

4. Now remove the three screws holding the motor assembly to the base plate. The base plate can now be removed, allowing access to the motor itself.

5. Using two screwdrivers work the pal nut up and off of the motor shaft. Be careful to not damage the pal nut as it will be reused. Don’t loose it as it tends to fly away when it releases from the shaft.

6. Once the pal nut is removed, remove the plastic spacer and two soft plastic washers from the shaft.

7. Invert the motor assembly and lift the blades with the attached motor magnets off of the motor. You will have to provide a bit of force at first to overcome the magnetic forces.

8. I placed a drop or two of clean 0W-20 motor oil on the bearings (don’t use too much) and reassembled it. A different heaver oil would also work, but I would not use a light machine oil or white grease.

9. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. When placing the pal nut back on the shaft don’t press it all the way down, leave a little play between the nut and the spacer so that the motor does not become bound up. When reassembling the electronic package to the base plate press down on the heat sink end to re-adhere the adhesive.

That’s it. So far it has been a few months, and everything is OK. I plan to relubricate it if it starts squealing again.
The following 4 users liked this post by hlheaton:
bpddaddy (11-16-22), Dinocards (01-02-23), miket000 (11-15-22), THE_CEO (11-15-22)
Old 11-15-22, 01:59 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

Thank you. Someday this will come in handy. Nice write up.
Old 11-16-22, 12:35 AM
hlheaton
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just giving back, this forum has helped me a lot.
Old 01-02-23, 05:56 PM
Dinocards
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good post writeup. Doing that as I type.. got the cover and double checkin you guyz for LS tips..... everything works but the fan... voltage to blower.... so. Im thinkin its the same issue.. one day it just didnt blow anymore.