LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

aftermarket sub with reclining rear seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-22, 09:01 AM
lexydood3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aftermarket sub with reclining rear seats

hey everyone, so my sub has been on the verge of blowing for past month and i think its finally had its last day. i have a sub and amp from my last car but im not sure if its compatible. i tried reading other forums but i have zero knowledge on audio components and i was wondering if anyone had a direct answer. the reason i titled it “with reclining rear seats” is because i think the installers for my last car drilled the amp to the backseats through the trunk (not completely sure) but does anyone have an aftermarket box and amp in the trunk with reclining rear seats?
Old 12-08-22, 09:32 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Here's my best suggestion. Contact United Radio for the cost of amp repair. There are other shops that do this as well. Then contact an independent car sound shop. They will be able to give you accurate info and pricing on adapting an aftermarket amp to the complicated wiring. If you have Mark Levinson system in your car, it may be best to just repair it. It's a high end system already. If you're thinking of adding a powered subwoofer, that would compliment the ML system nicely and is fairly straightforward install. I have reclining seats and what actually happens, the seat bottom moves forward pulling the seat back forward a few inches. I think an amp could be mounted to the seat back without interference. A sub speaker is too bulky and heavy to attach to seat back. There are several thread here about adding a powered sub to the LS.
Old 12-08-22, 09:53 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Try these, not mine but it probably is a good setup and doesn't take up much space. Get them here. https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear...hideaways.html

The following users liked this post:
swfla (12-08-22)
Old 12-08-22, 10:34 AM
lexydood3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swfla
Here's my best suggestion. Contact United Radio for the cost of amp repair. There are other shops that do this as well. Then contact an independent car sound shop. They will be able to give you accurate info and pricing on adapting an aftermarket amp to the complicated wiring. If you have Mark Levinson system in your car, it may be best to just repair it. It's a high end system already. If you're thinking of adding a powered subwoofer, that would compliment the ML system nicely and is fairly straightforward install. I have reclining seats and what actually happens, the seat bottom moves forward pulling the seat back forward a few inches. I think an amp could be mounted to the seat back without interference. A sub speaker is too bulky and heavy to attach to seat back. There are several thread here about adding a powered sub to the LS.

Yes I was just thinking of adding my subwoofer to replace the rattling in the backseats which sounds awful. I assumed if I added the sub then i would need to add the amp as well. Correct me if im wrong but it sounds like i can use the ML amp with my own subwoofer?
The following users liked this post:
XF40FSPORT (12-08-22)
Old 12-08-22, 11:20 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by lexydood3
Yes I was just thinking of adding my subwoofer to replace the rattling in the backseats which sounds awful. I assumed if I added the sub then i would need to add the amp as well. Correct me if im wrong but it sounds like i can use the ML amp with my own subwoofer?
If I'm reading this correctly, are you asking if you can add an additional subwoofer (not the factory one installed in the rear deck), and have the stock amplifier supply the power for the additional sub?
Old 12-08-22, 11:28 AM
lexydood3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
If I'm reading this correctly, are you asking if you can add an additional subwoofer (not the factory one installed in the rear deck), and have the stock amplifier supply the power for the additional sub?
Yes, to replace the factory sub. I have an amp as well from my previous car but i believe it was screwed into the back of the rear seats so im worried about the reclining seats in this.
Old 12-08-22, 11:45 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexydood3
Yes, to replace the factory sub. I have an amp as well from my previous car but i believe it was screwed into the back of the rear seats so im worried about the reclining seats in this.
If you're adding in aftermarket subwoofer in a box, and trying to power it w/ the stock amp, don't waste your time...install the aftermarket sub and amp.

If your concerns are about NOT wanting to mount your amp to the backseat, depending on the size of the box the sub is in, and the size of amp, mount it to the sub box.

Since you're not knowledgeable on stereo installations, DON'T attempt to do this as a DIY. I've done it, and it's a PITA to take apart all the panels and rear seats to run the power wire from battery to trunk. Take it to a local car stereo installer, and ask them for their input. They'll quote you a price in 2 minutes. Obviously take your car to the installers too, so they can see what they're in for.

Do a search, and there's ample info on this forum.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by XF40FSPORT:
lexydood3 (12-08-22), swfla (12-08-22)
Old 12-08-22, 11:55 AM
lexydood3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
If you're adding in aftermarket subwoofer in a box, and trying to power it w/ the stock amp, don't waste your time...install the aftermarket sub and amp.

If your concerns are about NOT wanting to mount your amp to the backseat, depending on the size of the box the sub is in, and the size of amp, mount it to the sub box.

Since you're not knowledgeable on stereo installations, DON'T attempt to do this as a DIY. I've done it, and it's a PITA to take apart all the panels and rear seats to run the power wire from battery to trunk. Take it to a local car stereo installer, and ask them for their input. They'll quote you a price in 2 minutes. Obviously take your car to the installers too, so they can see what they're in for.

Do a search, and there's ample info on this forum.

Good luck!
awesome! thank u for the insight
Old 12-08-22, 12:30 PM
jeng9495
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you have a couple of options.

(1) Suggest to repair the subwoofer ratting first. I was able to take out my ML subwoofer from the rear deck without removing the reclining back seats. Once it is out, you can easily visually check the condition or the cone and spider and its inner workings with a multimeter. My subwoofer was completely blown and I was able to repair it with epoxy and tinsel wire. Can also take it to a repair shop to fix your subwoofer rattling or buy an ebay replacement.

(2) put in an aftermarket amp and sub additionally as I did eventually. I needed more bump than what the stock subwoofer outputted.

Old 12-08-22, 12:40 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gerf
Try these, not mine but it probably is a good setup and doesn't take up much space. Get them here. https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear...hideaways.html

I like how this looks. Wonder how it sounds