LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Should I buy a 2007 Ls 460?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-23, 03:20 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,307 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by JZZFZZ
melting dashboard? Not a big deal. You can replace it yourself.
While one can replace the dash DIY, it's not a simple or quick job. It really depends upon the person. It's subjective.
Old 01-01-23, 03:22 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Many of the ‘07 LS460/600s had a major wind noise issue. Be sure you are well informed about this. It can have a significant impact on your satisfaction.
Good point. It would be very annoying. I believe you came up with a fix for it that's within the ability of most owners.
Old 01-01-23, 03:27 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gerf
I agree with this but you can look at this another way, if you buy this car for 9k and end up spending 10k in repairs I think you're still good and will have a good car.
Unless there is a rust issue which it probably wont have because of where it's from.
Excellent point GERF. While the control arms are a wear item that eventually needs replacement, the brake accumulator and sticky dash aren't going to be an issue on every car. I wish I had a percentage number to illustrate this.
The following users liked this post:
Rabbit987 (01-01-23)
Old 01-01-23, 03:41 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 454 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabbit987
If it was just the dash I wouldn't be worried at all. It's alot of the interior that seams to have the problem.
If you haven't already had the opportunity to run the VIN, this thread will show where/how to, and it also contains some other useful info.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ode-where.html
Rabbit987 (01-01-23)
Old 01-01-23, 04:44 PM
Rabbit987
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Excellent point GERF. While the control arms are a wear item that eventually needs replacement, the brake accumulator and sticky dash aren't going to be an issue on every car. I wish I had a percentage number to illustrate this.

That is a good question. Wonder what the percentage is? So not all cats are affected with the bad interiors?
Old 01-01-23, 10:28 PM
trogdor113
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

That is a good question. Wonder what the percentage is? So not all cats are affected with the bad interiors?
I don't think there's a solid number available, but bulletin L-SB-0016-19 covers this issue. There's a list of models, years, and VIN ranges affected attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
affected cars.pdf (160.4 KB, 54 views)
Rabbit987 (01-02-23)
Old 01-02-23, 10:55 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

It depends to some extent on the climate where the car lived its life, and whether it was garaged or left out in the sun.
Rabbit987 (01-02-23)
Old 01-04-23, 06:13 AM
Rabbit987
10th Gear

So I finally went and looked at the car. It ended up being a 2011. Had a small scrape in the back bumper and small bimo in the front. Couple scratches on the car. The dash and door panels looked okay. The one under the dash and panels near the seat belt buckle have the gray going on.😕 Car had 43k on the clock. Only history it had was oil change every 3 to 4 k, new battery, and an alignment and tires. I was gonna give them at least 10. Whatcha guys think?
Old 01-04-23, 06:24 AM
JZZFZZ
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

So I finally went and looked at the car. It ended up being a 2011. Had a small scrape in the back bumper and small bimo in the front. Couple scratches on the car. The dash and door panels looked okay. The one under the dash and panels near the seat belt buckle have the gray going on.😕 Car had 43k on the clock. Only history it had was oil change every 3 to 4 k, new battery, and an alignment and tires. I was gonna give them at least 10. Whatcha guys think?
If it were me I would buy it as a daily driver without fixing anything. The alignment history is a concern because of the common suspension issues. Have you test driven it?
Old 01-04-23, 07:13 AM
Rabbit987
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JZZFZZ
If it were me I would buy it as a daily driver without fixing anything. The alignment history is a concern because of the common suspension issues. Have you test driven it?
I have not. Hopefully today im gonna make it down there and take it for a ride and make the offer.
Old 01-05-23, 02:43 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I have not. Hopefully today im gonna make it down there and take it for a ride and make the offer.

43K miles is very good for the year, but be in mind not all low mileage cars are well taken care of. And not all high mileage cars are beat up and look and run like crap.

These cars are very complex for their age and they are more prone to failure on certain parts, but hands down my 07 LS 460 has been the most reliable car I have ever owned so far, even for its high mileage.

But before I purchased it, I made sure all of the typical issues these cars are known for having, mostly they have been replaced on my car recently prior to me owning it. The carfax report and using the Lexus owners website helped me tremendously on finding out what was done on the car. For instance someone replaced the upper control arms on both sides and maybe 1 lower control arm, including the front air struts, and water pump.

I just replaced the front brakes, rotors and pads and also the spark plugs since I had no idea when they last were ever done. I’m glad I did because the car runs even smoother now, it gets up faster, and also it got rid of this strange low idle vibration while in drive sometimes while sitting at a light or in a drive thru.

Everything still works in my LS, including HVAC controls, all the power accessories and there’s literally no wear in tear on my interior besides for some common wear areas, but even then it’s not all that noticeable for it’s mileage. I also invested in a set of some nice seat covers that has helped eliminate the wear n tear on my front seats. I put an armrest pillow including a towel on the center arm rest to reduce wear and oil staining from your elbows and so far, my armrest leather looks perfect with no indentations or cracking. I just take great care of my LS, always parking far away from everyone in parking lots to avoid door dings and scratches. I truly recommend this habit to everyone that owns a vehicle they love. It’s helped cut down on exterior damage for sure.

These are wonderful cars to own and drive but you do have to be aware of the common problems, but once fixed, these are still one of the best used reliable luxury vehicles on the market hands down especially when compared to every other luxury automaker.

Last edited by FlexnLexus; 01-05-23 at 02:54 AM.
Rabbit987 (01-05-23)
Old 01-05-23, 06:23 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

The frequent oil changes sound good, by miles, but it could be 2-3 years in between each service. Not a deal killer, just not as great as it sounds. Until you get it inspected, it does sound worth your offer.
Old 01-05-23, 06:48 AM
Rabbit987
10th Gear

The frequent oil changes sound good, by miles, but it could be 2-3 years in between each service. Not a deal killer, just not as great as it sounds. Until you get it inspected, it does sound worth your offer.
There are some than have a year in between.
Old 01-11-23, 05:19 PM
Rabbit987
10th Gear

So I did it and purchased the car today. It has air suspension so hopefully I will get some time out of it. How long these suspension usually last? Other than that I'm happy with the purchase. 😁
Old 01-11-23, 07:28 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I am at 180k and have not had the brake actuator fail, knock on wood. But did have the free sticky panels replaced.
Rabbit987 (01-11-23)

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 2007 Ls 460?