LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Engine malfunction at only 21k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-23 | 04:18 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Striker223
I would not use an oil that flows that slowly since the engine is clearanced and flow rated for a 30 max
that’s not really true read the manual under oil you will see a graph and under normal use maybe if you have extreme conditions the oil will wear
Old 01-06-23 | 04:57 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Below is a screenshot from the manufacture manual for 2010 LS460. Please, show me any other oil than W20.

Old 01-06-23 | 06:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jdanielca
that’s not really true read the manual under oil you will see a graph and under normal use maybe if you have extreme conditions the oil will wear
Okay. Enjoy the engine damage. These cars do not have oil temp sensors or heaters so you would be amazed how slow that oil will be able to reach protective temp.
The following users liked this post:
Boykie (01-07-23)
Old 01-06-23 | 09:34 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Wait… isn’t the oil control valve that super easy to remove thing sort of at the front side of the engine ? There’s one on each side ?

more frequent oil changes I think .. this 10k thing ain’t going to cut it.. I’m trying to do 6 moths or 5000 miles however I’m not really managing it.. I’m at 11 mths lol… I think tho mileage is more important than time in this case but def not exceed 12 mths. I’m at 4200 miles and I’m getting the oil changed next week. I last oil change I put in some variant of liqui molly engine flush before the oil change, used liqui molly optimum plus 5w40. Also added Added Liqui Moly Hydro-Stossel-Additiv, 300мл a few days after that. Has worked well, no oil consumption whatsoever nada. My old engine used a little bit over 6 months maybe a quart or so.
I can't imagine oil changes had anything to do with this part failing. I bought it with 8k miles, and it has 21k now. I've changed the oil three times in those 13k miles. (As for what oil, I don't know anything about such things and have it done at dealer or indy mechanic).
Old 01-07-23 | 04:22 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DerrickM
I can't imagine oil changes had anything to do with this part failing. I bought it with 8k miles, and it has 21k now. I've changed the oil three times in those 13k miles. (As for what oil, I don't know anything about such things and have it done at dealer or indy mechanic).
u would think they failed because of dirty oil etc…but I’m not an oil expert.. your mileage is super low but maybe time interval no idea if that could affect things lots of armchair mechanics here will chime in 😂
Old 01-07-23 | 04:30 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Striker223
Okay. Enjoy the engine damage. These cars do not have oil temp sensors or heaters so you would be amazed how slow that oil will be able to reach protective temp.
👍 yes I’ve enjoyed the engine damage thanks to 0w20 and I’ve enjoyed 1 plus year of trouble free operation with 5w40. Which I still standby for extreme operation, short drives etc. this is a subject that lots of people won’t agree with. But I can post whatever if someone has taken a stand with this 0w20 bs he’s not going to be convinced. I’m just saying in the owners manual it says there’s a wider range of oil to be used. Anyone can go read it. 0w20 is just for EPA standards, imo not for engine longevity.

if you look online for Japanese tuner blogs and videos etc for this car, they all use 5w40, at this age anyways, there might be a reason for that.

but I’ll leave it at that. No point arguing for no reason. 1 year no issues right, I’ll post back after a few winters, the truth in pudding is in the eating. But I agree 5w30 is equally suitable, it’s just that I think even at 40 the oil breaks down quickly to 30 in my driving conditions etc so a little buffer protection has done the trick so far.
Old 01-07-23 | 05:51 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

You had engine damage due to oil starvation, it was obvious from the crankshaft damage.
Old 01-07-23 | 06:55 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Anfanger
You had engine damage due to oil starvation, it was obvious from the crankshaft damage.
Don't bring up facts now......those are not convenient.
Old 01-07-23 | 08:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the Toyota spec oil didn't cause engine damage...
Old 01-07-23 | 12:47 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Let’s put aside the engine damage for a second that’s a different issue. To this matter to rest once and for all let me bring your attention to a 2012 ls460 Owner’s manual for Germany. You will see that 15w40 is even approved lol although I am not suggesting that.

clearly the owners manual for the US is different because they want you to use the thinner oil for EPA stuff, if this is not clear enough I don’t know what else I need to show you.

so bring it back to point, it is not true that only 0w20 or 5w20 is approved for use.

also I refer you to page 899, I quote:
“An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load con-ditions.” - referring for the operating temp viscosity number.

so if the 5W number is clearly indicated as ok, and the 40 op temp is indicated as ok in 15w40. Then is it not clear that 5w40 is ok? … sigh sometimes the reception I receive here when bringing up this topic… is disheartening do you think I’m pulling this info out of my nether regions or do you think I’m stupid or delusional lol anyways ..

does anyone else have anything to say in regards to only 0w20? Or are we done on this particular point ?

I merely want to make sure the most accurate information is out there and the insistence of the incorrect information by a few around here is not helping the community in general ..

Some other references;

https://youtu.be/phq3QOESavA

Last edited by jdanielca; 01-07-23 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-07-23 | 01:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Yes. Optimal lubrication and COOLING is accomplished with the fastest flow of oil past a given point. You want to use the lightest weight oil that still has the needed shear protection for how intensely or not the parts are loaded, after that you want to max out flow as high as possible.

40w doesn't flow as quickly as 20 and has more load carrying capacity than needed and the pump is fixed flow. Therefore you are reducing lubrication. That's the facts.
lobuxracer (01-11-23)
Old 01-07-23 | 02:39 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Some people have quoted Toyota on the 0w20, saying it’s the only thing you can use, I’m merely pointing out 15w40 so if we are playing toyota says then… why are we only saying 0w20 is ok… toyota says 15w40 is ok too..

also cold start 5W is ok for most winter conditions up to around -20 or -25c. Once the oil is brought up everywhere during operating temperatures would logic not then dictate a more viscous oil would provide more protection also since we playing toyota says … they say this engine can handle 40 weight… so guys u gotta pick .. either we are using logic or we are swallowing everything they say wholesale.. I tend to think if you read the documentation it’s quite clear what 0w20 is for same with the 10k miles oil change interval and sealed transmissions.

also let’s not divert from the point of my clarification someone asked me where it says anything other than 0w20, well I just showed. So that concludes my presentation for the day whether or not it’s suitable for your conditions depends on your driving conditions. But that’s just my opinion and Toyotas opinions as per the quote I provided earlier if you interpret what they say they recommend 30 for harsh driving conditions saying it provides more ….did they use the word protection ? Nope but says “better suited” Gotta go read

Old 01-08-23 | 08:47 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Some people have quoted Toyota on the 0w20, saying it’s the only thing you can use, I’m merely pointing out 15w40 so if we are playing toyota says then… why are we only saying 0w20 is ok… toyota says 15w40 is ok too..

also cold start 5W is ok for most winter conditions up to around -20 or -25c. Once the oil is brought up everywhere during operating temperatures would logic not then dictate a more viscous oil would provide more protection also since we playing toyota says … they say this engine can handle 40 weight… so guys u gotta pick .. either we are using logic or we are swallowing everything they say wholesale.. I tend to think if you read the documentation it’s quite clear what 0w20 is for same with the 10k miles oil change interval and sealed transmissions.

also let’s not divert from the point of my clarification someone asked me where it says anything other than 0w20, well I just showed. So that concludes my presentation for the day whether or not it’s suitable for your conditions depends on your driving conditions. But that’s just my opinion and Toyotas opinions as per the quote I provided earlier if you interpret what they say they recommend 30 for harsh driving conditions saying it provides more ….did they use the word protection ? Nope but says “better suited” Gotta go read
Read what I wrote again. Then do so again until you understand it.
Old 01-08-23 | 11:21 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Aye yai yai….ROUND 4…FIGHT!!!
Old 01-08-23 | 12:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

striker223, jdanielca take it to PM
XF40FSPORT (01-08-23)

Quick Reply: Engine malfunction at only 21k miles