LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Losing track of FOB

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-23, 11:14 AM
LSJimmy
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS 460 Losing track of FOB

This just started happening in the past week or two. 2010 LS460L. First sign of issue was display saying FOB battery was getting low. Next day car is completely dead. Thought maybe one of my kids left a cabin light on so charge the battery overnight. Once charged, no interior lights are on, and car starts just fine but beeps when I turn it off and close drivers door. Not sure why at the time and dismiss it. Early the next morning I get out of the car when it's still dark and notice that the interior courtesy lights and push start light are flashing after I leave the car, which still beeps. Then I realize that I can't lock/unlock the car from the touch handle or from the FOB and if I try to lock it from the door it immediately unlocks itself. At this point I've already replaced the FOB battery with no changes. The car never tells me it can't locate the key when I'm sitting in the drivers seat and it starts up just fine with the FOB in my pocket. I believe I may have a faulty oscillator, and that the car knows when the FOB is inside but does not know when it leaves so it thinks the keys are left in the car.

Has anyone seen this before? Am I correct in thinking it's an oscillator?

Logic tells me if it is an oscillator then it's probably the drivers side. Has anyone had any luck replacing one?

I'm not against taking it to the dealer if I have to, but I usually do all my own maintenance and would rather do it myself if it's possible.

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-09-23, 11:37 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,307 Likes on 1,009 Posts

I'd hook up an OBD reader to check for codes, that's almost always the first diagnostic step. The door jamb switch is notorious for creating all sorts of odd problems. You can check that with a multimeter. You can also disconnect he car battery for an hour, this will reset some issues. Not saying my suggestions are a definite fix but they are cheap and easy to do yourself. I have also experienced an old stock/low voltage battery purchased from Ebay or amazon for my key fob. Buy from a vendor or store with high turnover rate.
The following users liked this post:
Anfanger (01-09-23)
Old 01-09-23, 12:11 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 454 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by LSJimmy
This just started happening in the past week or two. 2010 LS460L. First sign of issue was display saying FOB battery was getting low. Next day car is completely dead. Thought maybe one of my kids left a cabin light on so charge the battery overnight. Once charged, no interior lights are on, and car starts just fine but beeps when I turn it off and close drivers door. Not sure why at the time and dismiss it. Early the next morning I get out of the car when it's still dark and notice that the interior courtesy lights and push start light are flashing after I leave the car, which still beeps. Then I realize that I can't lock/unlock the car from the touch handle or from the FOB and if I try to lock it from the door it immediately unlocks itself. At this point I've already replaced the FOB battery with no changes. The car never tells me it can't locate the key when I'm sitting in the drivers seat and it starts up just fine with the FOB in my pocket. I believe I may have a faulty oscillator, and that the car knows when the FOB is inside but does not know when it leaves so it thinks the keys are left in the car.

Has anyone seen this before? Am I correct in thinking it's an oscillator?

Logic tells me if it is an oscillator then it's probably the drivers side. Has anyone had any luck replacing one?

I'm not against taking it to the dealer if I have to, but I usually do all my own maintenance and would rather do it myself if it's possible.

Thanks for any help!
Some '07-'12 models exhibit electrical gremlins/glitches. Give it a few days or so and it just may correct itself. How old is your 12V battery?
Old 01-09-23, 12:44 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 898 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
I'd hook up an OBD reader to check for codes, that's almost always the first diagnostic step. The door jamb switch is notorious for creating all sorts of odd problems. You can check that with a multimeter. You can also disconnect he car battery for an hour, this will reset some issues. Not saying my suggestions are a definite fix but they are cheap and easy to do yourself. I have also experienced an old stock/low voltage battery purchased from Ebay or amazon for my key fob. Buy from a vendor or store with high turnover rate.
To me, it also does look like a problem with a door switch.
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (01-09-23)
Old 01-09-23, 03:35 PM
user 710812323
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
To me, it also does look like a problem with a door switch.
I have had a few instances of the soft-close feature not activating lately. I think it may be the switches in my car. Is there a clean/lube procedure that's been known to help possibly both issues?
Old 01-09-23, 05:09 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,307 Likes on 1,009 Posts

I believe the common issue is faulty switch, not a dirty switch. But try a spray cleaner and let us know if it helped.
Old 01-09-23, 06:03 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 454 Likes on 326 Posts

It could also be the multiplex module for a particular door.
Old 01-12-23, 01:20 PM
LSJimmy
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great advice. Thanks.

Quick update: Battery had been dead for a couple of days so I charged it overnight. Hooked up my OBD2 scanner and realized I could scan the key system ECU with the app Carista that I have. Did not pull any codes. Door jamb switch seemed to be working but I agree that it is a very likely culprit for these symptoms. Anyway, while going over these troubleshooting steps I noticed that everything was working right again. I'll have to keep an eye on it but for now its working.