LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 2009 I blew my transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 11:15 PM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS460 2009 I blew my transmission!

Hey guys,

I have a 2009 LS 460 short wheel based RWD, with 131K miles. I have owned it for 4 years now, it has treated me well.

Saturday I blew the transmission. Instead of fixing it, I heard replacing it might be better. My car was manufactured in 2008.

If going for a newer transmission, what years are compatible and what else is needed? Is it plug and play?

Thank you very much

Old 02-21-23, 08:01 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 582 Likes on 412 Posts

Condolences. Can you first elaborate - what exactly happened?
Old 02-21-23, 10:04 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Transmission is AA80E. There may be software changes over the years. Possibly different computer module too. That being the case, having Techstream available is suggested. Are you considering DIY? It's been reported here that the transmissions are quite reliable, so any used trans is likely OK. I do agree that a lower mileage one makes good sense.
Old 04-06-23, 02:02 AM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Sorry for the delay.

I found a newer transmission from a 2014 RWD model. Does anyone know what would be required to get it to work with my 09?
According to the shop, the transmission is compatible with 07-17 RWD models. Can anyone confirm this is true?
Old 04-06-23, 02:03 AM
Gennady7
Intermediate

@swfla
Planning to have a mechanic swap out the transmission. We have techstream as well but worried about the existing modules.
Old 04-06-23, 02:23 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 875 Likes on 647 Posts

You will have to have to set "Transmission Compensation Code" after replacing the transmission. Or, I believe, get a replacement transmission with the ECU it was used with.
Old 04-06-23, 02:25 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

"Transmission Compensation Code" is written directly on the transmission, it is a 60-digit code. You need to get it before installation.
Old 04-06-23, 06:16 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gennady7
@swfla
Planning to have a mechanic swap out the transmission. We have techstream as well but worried about the existing modules.
This trans is very sturdy. It's rare that they get "blown". Part of the reason you're getting little response. The other reason is we see many people come to the forum with wrong diagnosis. Your trans may not be blown. Please take a few minutes and tell us mileage, what led up to issue, symptoms and what you've tried so far. Because there's no dipstick, it's easy to overfill or underfill and have issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
Doublegrants18th (01-18-24), superdenso (01-10-24)
Old 04-06-23, 12:00 PM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
This trans is very sturdy. It's rare that they get "blown". Part of the reason you're getting little response. The other reason is we see many people come to the forum with wrong diagnosis. Your trans may not be blown. Please take a few minutes and tell us mileage, what led up to issue, symptoms and what you've tried so far. Because there's no dipstick, it's easy to overfill or underfill and have issues.
On the day that the issue occurred, I put the car into reverse and it was not moving, I had to apply the gas a lot more to get it to move.
Once I got to the highway, I lost all power going to the wheels but the engine continued to rev up.
I parked on the side of the highway, turned car off and on and the car engaged for a little but then lost it again.
I believe the issue is actually the torque convertor but since a shop is doing the swap, I figured to do the tranny.

I really appreciate the help here! Thank you very much.
Old 04-06-23, 12:26 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

A simple fluid drain and fill may have solved/improved your issue. If it was never done and you have over 125k on the odometer, it's possible that's all it would take. Certainly worth trying first. But you sound committed to the swap. Keep us posted on how it goes so we can add to our knowledge. Best of luck.
Old 04-07-23, 12:43 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

Backflushing can clear up stuck solenoids in the trans. My local lexus dealer which is a warren buffet owned store has backflushed thousands of trans without issue. I doubt the trans has failed. Solenoids stuck from debris in the fluid.
Old 04-07-23, 10:56 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Gennady7
On the day that the issue occurred, I put the car into reverse and it was not moving, I had to apply the gas a lot more to get it to move.
Once I got to the highway, I lost all power going to the wheels but the engine continued to rev up.
I parked on the side of the highway, turned car off and on and the car engaged for a little but then lost it again.
I believe the issue is actually the torque convertor but since a shop is doing the swap, I figured to do the tranny.

I really appreciate the help here! Thank you very much.
I had something similar happen to me after I had a fluid drain and refill done, however, my transmission cut out while engine kept revving at speeds under 50mph.

Turns out I didn't have enough transmission fluid. My Indy added more fluid in and everything went back to normal smooth shifting.

Hopefully, your issue is similar, as you'll save thousands of dollars compared to swapping out for a different transmission.

Good Luck!
Old 04-08-23, 08:10 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

These transmissions like to eat fluid. When they get low, they get weird. Most people on this forum are probably a couple to a few quarts low and don’t even know it.
Old 04-08-23, 08:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLs460
These transmissions like to eat fluid. When they get low, they get weird. Most people on this forum are probably a couple to a few quarts low and don’t even know it.
Uh you might want to figure out where the fluid is going if it's not all there. Mine was all there at 130k and two customer cars were both all there at 185k and 230k
Old 04-09-23, 05:33 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ATLs460
I believe, this problem is specific to you only. If you are missing some transmission fluid, you will have to figure out where it went as stated above. I would start with leaks and check your coolant color.

Quick Reply: LS460 2009 I blew my transmission!