LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

AWD Control Arms (I do not think this is redundant)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-23, 12:53 PM
samene
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question AWD Control Arms (I do not think this is redundant)

Read everything I could find here, still have some questions about CA for my 2011 AWD LWB.
  1. Which bushings die young on '11 & later? If none, why did they change the front lower rearwards in 2013?
  2. The left front upper forward arm is the exact same part as the right front upper rearward arm, right? And vice versa? That's what the arm no. 1/arm no. 2 thing implies, correct?
  3. Are poly bushings like SuperPro actually harsh and/or squeaky or is that just a widely discussed rarity or poor install? If polys are actually harsh, on which arms is it most noticeable and who sells the preferred rubber bushings?
  4. Are OEM bushings drilled offset, not centered? FIGS calls their centered polys "OEM replacement" in contrast to their offsets. I use the stock wheels, btw.
  5. Are any control arms same for AWD vs RWD? Does air suspension/lack thereof matter when selecting arms or bushing material?
  6. Are all the front lower arms supposed to be steel now?
Thanks for any help.
Old 02-24-23, 01:11 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 875 Likes on 647 Posts

1. Any bushing can go bad.
2. No, arms are different.
3. Poly is going to be stiffer.
4. Centered.
5. Front upper forward same as used in RWD.
6. Yes.
Old 02-25-23, 05:33 AM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by samene
Read everything I could find here, still have some questions about CA for my 2011 AWD LWB.
  1. Which bushings die young on '11 & later? If none, why did they change the front lower rearwards in 2013?
  2. The left front upper forward arm is the exact same part as the right front upper rearward arm, right? And vice versa? That's what the arm no. 1/arm no. 2 thing implies, correct?
  3. Are poly bushings like SuperPro actually harsh and/or squeaky or is that just a widely discussed rarity or poor install? If polys are actually harsh, on which arms is it most noticeable and who sells the preferred rubber bushings?
  4. Are OEM bushings drilled offset, not centered? FIGS calls their centered polys "OEM replacement" in contrast to their offsets. I use the stock wheels, btw.
  5. Are any control arms same for AWD vs RWD? Does air suspension/lack thereof matter when selecting arms or bushing material?
  6. Are all the front lower arms supposed to be steel now?
Thanks for any help.

1. In my experience they all did, which is why I ordered AWD Core Refresh Pro kit from Figs w/SuperPro bushings and 2013+ lower arms.

2. The No1. & No2. are referring to the two upper arms per side. Each side had a 1 and a 2.

3. I'm not sure. I will be able to tell you tomorrow as I am installing today.

4. OEM are not offset. Something interesting I found when doing my research... SuperPro calls their offset bushings "double offset" and they offer this description:

A Double Offset kit is used for enhanced handling performance and will deliver positive caster to both sides of the vehicle.The vehicle will have improved directional stability, crisper, more responsive steering and improved 'return to centre' feel.This is a non tyre wearing geometry change that has a substantial effect on a vehicles handling characteristics.

5. Upper arms are the same.

6. Yes.

Personally ordered the kit from Figs as described above and Beck Arnley lower arms (all 4). My 2011 AWD developed a horrendous "death wobble" coming from the front right wheel whenever I let off the gas, and now it happens almost constantly (haven't been driving it because it got so bad). Hope the arms, ball joints, and tie rods will address the issue. Installed new pads and rotors in front last weekend so after this I just have to replace the CV axles and wheel hubs, plus new coilovers which I am working on deciding which to go with now (if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!) and the entire front end will be refreshed.

Best of luck!!
Old 02-26-23, 09:49 AM
samene
Rookie

Originally Posted by Anfanger
1. Any bushing can go bad.
2. No, arms are different.
3. Poly is going to be stiffer.
4. Centered.
5. Front upper forward same as used in RWD.
6. Yes.
Thank you!
Old 02-26-23, 09:54 AM
samene
Rookie

Originally Posted by cryptodoni
1. In my experience they all did, which is why I ordered AWD Core Refresh Pro kit from Figs w/SuperPro bushings and 2013+ lower arms.

2. The No1. & No2. are referring to the two upper arms per side. Each side had a 1 and a 2.

4. OEM are not offset. Something interesting I found when doing my research... SuperPro calls their offset bushings "double offset" and they offer this description:

A Double Offset kit is used for enhanced handling performance and will deliver positive caster to both sides of the vehicle.The vehicle will have improved directional stability, crisper, more responsive steering and improved 'return to centre' feel.This is a non tyre wearing geometry change that has a substantial effect on a vehicles handling characteristics.

6. Yes.

Personally ordered the kit from Figs as described above and Beck Arnley lower arms (all 4). My 2011 AWD developed a horrendous "death wobble" coming from the front right wheel whenever I let off the gas, and now it happens almost constantly (haven't been driving it because it got so bad). Hope the arms, ball joints, and tie rods will address the issue. Installed new pads and rotors in front last weekend so after this I just have to replace the CV axles and wheel hubs, plus new coilovers which I am working on deciding which to go with now (if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!) and the entire front end will be refreshed.

Best of luck!!
Thank you! Sounds like a lot to replace. I'm doing cv axles, too, but haven't checked all that other stuff.
Old 03-05-23, 05:59 PM
samene
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by cryptodoni

6. Yes.

Best of luck!!
How did the replacements work out? I'm guessing you won't have it cured until the coilovers get in. If you can tell how you like your FIGS poly bushes then please post an update
Old 03-05-23, 06:02 PM
samene
Rookie

Question

Anyone know of a source for:

1) An aftermarket ls460 AWD front upper rearward control arm?
* and/or *
2) Individual poly bushings for the ls460 AWD front lower rearward control arm?
Old 03-05-23, 06:26 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

1. There is no such thing as far as I am aware.
2. I haven't seen any, even if it was, it would ruin the ride.
The following users liked this post:
Boykie (03-05-23)
Old 03-06-23, 01:51 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I stand corrected, Figs does sell upper aftermarket arms with poly bushings:
https://shopfigs.com/v5/by-vehicle/c...AT-G4-LS/G1309
However, I have no idea if the parts are any good.
samene (03-13-23)
Old 03-06-23, 05:57 AM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

How did the replacements work out? I'm guessing you won't have it cured until the coilovers get in. If you can tell how you like your FIGS poly bushes then please post an update
I got the upper control arms done on Friday, put new front pads and rotors on + replaced brake fluid with Endless RF-650 on Saturday, but yesterday I had plans with the wife so I am planning to do the outer and inner tie rods + ball joints after work this evening. Not sure how hard the inner rods are going to be as far as accessibility.

The upper arms took me forever but it was also my first time doing UCA's. It's just a tight fit, but manageable. There was some slight improvement to the wobble but fairly severe on passenger side. I am fairly certain it's the tie rods. I picked up an inner tie rod tool and a MAP PRO torch from O'Reilly's yesterday so I feel prepared for today's job.

Definitely noticed the steering had tightened up though, and the front end felt more solid plus the ride was smoother when I was on the throttle and the wobble would subside. Hard to say just yet but I am very optimistic about the poly bushings. I think you're right though that new coilovers will really make it all come together.

Old 03-06-23, 06:03 AM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Thank you! Sounds like a lot to replace. I'm doing cv axles, too, but haven't checked all that other stuff.

Have you purchased axles yet? From what I could find the only options are OEM ($3000+ for both sides), or a brand called Surtrack that sells them for $80 and $90 which obviously doesn't instill much confidence.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20..._axle_assembly

They're at the bottom of the page here. I'm going to keep looking. Maybe there are other aftermarket choices I didn't find the first time.
Old 03-07-23, 01:45 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Why are you replacing axles? Did you actually confirm that any of them need to be replaced? While LS460 axles do fail, it is not a very common thing.
Old 03-10-23, 12:38 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Anfanger
Why are you replacing axles? Did you actually confirm that any of them need to be replaced? While LS460 axles do fail, it is not a very common thing.
Is this true for AWD as well? I don't know if I am replacing axles yet, but I priced them in case I did determine I need new ones. I had originally planned on replacing them when I refreshed the entire front end, but given the costs and now what you said about them usually lasting I may not. Thanks for the info!!

​​​​​​
Old 03-10-23, 03:23 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 582 Likes on 412 Posts

AWD - left front one for some reason might go. It did on mine after driving a week with pinhole in the boot. On rare occasions (unfixed boot damage) right one goes. And it is a bugger to pull.
Anfanger (03-10-23)
Old 03-10-23, 06:47 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Boykie
AWD - left front one for some reason might go. It did on mine after driving a week with pinhole in the boot. On rare occasions (unfixed boot damage) right one goes. And it is a bugger to pull.
I've seen it mentioned here before that pulling that one is a b****. Hell, I'm having a hard enough time trying to get my inner tie rods off. Thankfully the boots on my axles don't appear to have any noticable rips or holes.

Quick Reply: AWD Control Arms (I do not think this is redundant)