LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 08:01 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

an for the best results heat the adhesive backing (hair dryer or simply leave it in direct sunlight for about 5mins) an mold it to the area in question
Old 06-03-10, 10:16 AM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts
Default 113 LS460s In The Florida Lemon Law "Bought Back" Vehicles List

The 113th LS460 was added to Florida's Lemon Law "Bought Back" Vehicles List last week. The latest addition was a 2007 LS460.

If you want to check for yourself, you can go here: http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/...4?OpenDocument

The Florida site doesn't give the reason for buyback, but from disclosures in the for-sale ads for the LS460s it's clear that the vast majority were for wind noise. So far there are no indications as to the reasons for buyback for the LS600s.

A sort of that list shows the following distribution:

2007----LS460-----73
2007----LS460L----21
2008----LS460-----17
2008----LS460L----2
2008----LS600-----5
2009----LS600-----1
Old 06-07-10, 09:51 AM
jmcraney

Default Consolidated Wind Noise Fix Instructions

I have followed through with my commitment to consolidate the instructions for the wind noise fix.

Please check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html
Old 12-11-10, 07:29 AM
justintm99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Thank you for saying this. I have said it several different ways previously in this discussion, but it is gratifying to know that others understand that this is the root of the problem.

I can't tell, from what you have said, if you used the metal patch that I suggested later in the discussion. If you didn't do that sort of fix, you may find that you will get a significant improvement by trying it. I was amazed when I redid mine because I was very satisfied with the first fix.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us.

Sorry for the late reply. It has been more than 6 months since I last visited this site with post #714. The thread appears to no longer be active but I thought I would update in case someone reads.

Yes I did use the metal patch method from your 2nd version of the fix. The fix improved the noise situation significantly as reported in post #714 so thanks again Jeff.

As you probably can tell from my post the fix did not completely fix the problem for me for whatever reason. I discussed the issue of unwanted noise to background ratio and I found my LS460 to be inferior. I had not been driving the car much since.

I just took the car in for service and asked the dealership to look into the driver side wind noise. I was given an ES350 as loaner. That car is much noisier by far, but the 'unbr' is lower so wind noise fades away from conciousness after a while, just like with my bmw or mercedes.

I got my LS460 back after a few days. They replaced the glass. The car is now fantastic! I am very glad we had decided to keep the car. My view now regarding this noise issue is first to try the jmcraney fix, and follow with glass replacement if not completely satisfied.
Old 12-12-10, 10:12 AM
davedan
Driver School Candidate

i did the jms fix and it worked verry well-i still have to tap the window button to get rid of all the windnoise-i bring it into the dealer they make an adjustment and it is gone for 4-5 months then back again- then back to the dealer-now they just adjust it every time i bring in for any kind of service
Old 12-12-10, 04:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have decided that I am going to chance the glass the replacement. I figure it has to help a little. I hear my noise right where the glass meets the door. I think a thicker piece of glass will help especially considering they will be replacing the seals in the door as well.
Old 12-15-10, 10:59 AM
JustCars
Driver School Candidate

I stumbled onto the following TSIBs for 'Wind Noise' while searching the net:

L-SB-0026-10 APR 10 Body - Front Side Window Wind Noise At Highway Speeds
L-SB-0020-10 FEB 10 Body - Front Door Window Highway Speed Wind Noise
L-SB-0007-10 JAN 10 Body - Front Door Window Wind Noise Above 45 MPH
Noise

Has anyone that has had them applied notice an improvement with their 'Wind Noise'?

My 'Wind Noise' is reduced if I lower my side windows very slightly (1/16-1/8"). I have also noticed that it's more noticable after the car has been in the rain, perhaps the rain is affecting the tape under the triangles (jmcraney's fix possibly resolve this) ?
Old 12-17-10, 09:24 AM
jmcraney

There have been very few unequivocal reports of "wind noise" improvement from the TSBs that you cited.

The "more noticeable wind noise when the car has been in the rain" that you mentioned is likely due to the poor noise isolation that results from the trim separation. Driving on wet roads produces significantly more background noise both from your car and the other cars around you. That was one of the most noticeable effects with my car before I fixed it. It was very noisy on wet roads and the trim repair helped that immensely.

The trim repair is not a solution for every wind noise problem, however it is very unlikely that any of the cars will be as quiet as they could be without doing that.
Old 12-18-10, 07:14 AM
justintm99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have decided that I am going to chance the glass the replacement. I figure it has to help a little. I hear my noise right where the glass meets the door. I think a thicker piece of glass will help especially considering they will be replacing the seals in the door as well.
Keep your expectation low but I hope you get a significant improvement like I did. Perhaps I expected too much from this car and ended up more disappointed than others. If so the new fix might have done more for me than others.

In my case the change is huge. I still cannot get over how incredible the transformation has been based on a single change. Before this, and now I can admit, sometime I drove the ls just to keep the battery from draining. For my daily commutes I picked the bmw over the ls by default, no contest, the bmw was simply more pleasurable to drive. Since the change, I haven't touched the bmw.

The transformation isn't about wind noise. The car psychologically feels different. I am enjoying the car for the first time, noticing its other qualities. All these luxury cars have super nice things to offer but with the ls that did not count for much. For me it was until now a regrettable purchase.

If you drive straight ahead on a windless day, any ls will do. The wind noise is a loud murmur and the noise is correlated, i.e. the faster you drive the louder it gets. You will also get buffetting wind noise from cars passing by on the left. Again the noise is correlated because you can see the cars approaching and correlate that to the noise you subsequently hear. That type of noise can be automatically filtered out by the brain. With crosswinds however, you cannot correlate the noise to anything because you cannot see what is coming. The wind just crosses at an angle, sets up a disturbance pattern with the rear view mirror that beats on the glass. The average cars do not have this problem. The noise floor is high and the unwanted noise to background ratio is low. These cars are just plain noisy but the noise does not grab your attention continually.

This turbulence based wind noise problem has been around this ls since day one but it wasn't until February 25 2010 that they released the fix I got, double pane glass both sides, plus related. That's a long time considering. (Bulletin 0020-10. wind noise front window highway speed.)

This car is a delight, and btw the Mark Levinson isn't half bad. In the low musical passages you come to appreciate a quiet car. Don't expect a coffin like effect. It's still a constant murmur, even at times a roar. But it's constant and that's the key. We had an LS400, I remember it to be quieter. Oh well, this one will do.

Best of luck.
Old 12-18-10, 07:18 AM
justintm99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JustCars
I stumbled onto the following TSIBs for 'Wind Noise' while searching the net:

L-SB-0026-10 APR 10 Body - Front Side Window Wind Noise At Highway Speeds
L-SB-0020-10 FEB 10 Body - Front Door Window Highway Speed Wind Noise
L-SB-0007-10 JAN 10 Body - Front Door Window Wind Noise Above 45 MPH
Noise

Has anyone that has had them applied notice an improvement with their 'Wind Noise'?

My 'Wind Noise' is reduced if I lower my side windows very slightly (1/16-1/8"). I have also noticed that it's more noticable after the car has been in the rain, perhaps the rain is affecting the tape under the triangles (jmcraney's fix possibly resolve this) ?
Bulletin 0020-10 Feb 2010. wind noise front window highway speed, did it for me. See my other posts and best of luck.
Old 12-18-10, 08:26 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My car has never had a real wind noise issue (purchased October of 2006). For me, it isn't worth the chance of having any fixes tried, including the thicker window (I'm too cheap to redo the tinting), that might result in a worse condition. The GX is pretty quiet with the Michelins but is still way noiser than the LS.
Old 12-18-10, 10:11 AM
baysurfer
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy LS460 Wind Noise

What gets me is how some people have the noise and some do not. I am talking about the pool of cars that are the same. Not the lwb and others that came with the thicker class. It hard for me to wrap my mind around how the same "lot" can be so different when it comes to wind noise. I only wish I had done more homework and joined this group before I bought the car. Did the carfax, maintenance history, talked to the dealer that serviced the car. When I test drove it, I thought the wind noise was more than usual but my friend said he didn't notice it. I think we were both so taken by the performance of the car that I just thought I was being super sensitive. I wanted a nice car to be comfortable in on long road trips. But with the wind noise just whispering "got you sucker" the whole way, it's impossible to enjoy the car.
Old 12-18-10, 10:50 AM
jmcraney

The common element to most of the wind noise problems is the trim at the corners of the windows in the front doors. This trim becomes detached because of a design defect.

There is a DIY repair that provides a permanent fix for this problem at: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html

If you have some reluctance to try this as a DIY project but you want to move your cause along you certainly could replace the trim pieces with "fresh" pieces. It is possible that it will not work but it is highly probable that it will work for a day or week or month. The problem that caused the original part to separate will likely cause the replacement part to separate too.

You can order the parts from any Toyota dealer. And, you can probably get a Toyota dealer to replace them for you.

The Lexus Part Nos. are:
67495-50020 for the passenger's side
67496-50020 for the driver's side

Each piece cost $12.89 +sales tax

If you want to order these over the Internet, go to the following site and enter the PNs where it says "Search by Part Number or Keyword." The cost for both pieces, delivered via UPS Ground is about $36.50

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...d=213808&year=

There is a very strong case for believing that many of those who report that their wind noise problem was resolved by a Lexus TSB really got the improvement because the trim was replaced in the process of implementing the TSB.
Old 12-18-10, 01:51 PM
justintm99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by baysurfer
What gets me is how some people have the noise and some do not. I am talking about the pool of cars that are the same. Not the lwb and others that came with the thicker class. It hard for me to wrap my mind around how the same "lot" can be so different when it comes to wind noise. I only wish I had done more homework and joined this group before I bought the car. Did the carfax, maintenance history, talked to the dealer that serviced the car. When I test drove it, I thought the wind noise was more than usual but my friend said he didn't notice it. I think we were both so taken by the performance of the car that I just thought I was being super sensitive. I wanted a nice car to be comfortable in on long road trips. But with the wind noise just whispering "got you sucker" the whole way, it's impossible to enjoy the car.
In my opinion, the cars are the same but some people may be more sensitive than others. I asked my wife if the wind noise bothers her, she asked me what wind noise - exact same car! A friend who drove that car a lot thought it was fine, although he is thoroughly impressed with how it is now.
Old 12-18-10, 01:54 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by justintm99
In my opinion, the cars are the same but some people may be more sensitive than others.
Lexus seems to be in full agreement with you.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)