LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hesitation on Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 01:44 AM
Mallard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I've been tracking this thread since my last service in June. I've had the same problems as everyone else: lack of power, which varies in severity but is often worse after turning right.

I've got a 2008 LS460, with around 30,000 miles, and I live in Sydney, Australia. I've had it since August last year and until the service it was fine. Since then it has been dreadful. I was about to take it into lexus for an update of the software.

However, I put two bottles of Techron 5000 in the tank last time I filled up. I used to do this occasionally on my old SC400. Nothing happened for a while and then a quarter of a tank in it became like a rocket. The power is immense. It engages traction control when I floor it. It sounds low and throaty rather than thin and reedy.

I don't do a lot of miles, and I was hoping to wait until I had used a few tanks of gas before posting but I was too excited.

I understand you have Techron in the states, according to Wikipedia. Has anyone with these problems tried it? The cleaning of the engine seems to be a possible solution. My basic understanding is that new oil could lead to carbonisation of the engine, and this would possibly be resolved is there were a lot of cleaning agents in petrol. Roadfrog had a good result with oil cleaning. Could that have had the same effect?

Anyway, keen to see if this can be replicated? I'd like to turn my anecdote into data.
Old 09-16-15, 08:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallard
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I've been tracking this thread since my last service in June. I've had the same problems as everyone else: lack of power, which varies in severity but is often worse after turning right.

I've got a 2008 LS460, with around 30,000 miles, and I live in Sydney, Australia. I've had it since August last year and until the service it was fine. Since then it has been dreadful. I was about to take it into lexus for an update of the software.

However, I put two bottles of Techron 5000 in the tank last time I filled up. I used to do this occasionally on my old SC400. Nothing happened for a while and then a quarter of a tank in it became like a rocket. The power is immense. It engages traction control when I floor it. It sounds low and throaty rather than thin and reedy.

I don't do a lot of miles, and I was hoping to wait until I had used a few tanks of gas before posting but I was too excited.

I understand you have Techron in the states, according to Wikipedia. Has anyone with these problems tried it? The cleaning of the engine seems to be a possible solution. My basic understanding is that new oil could lead to carbonisation of the engine, and this would possibly be resolved is there were a lot of cleaning agents in petrol. Roadfrog had a good result with oil cleaning. Could that have had the same effect?

Anyway, keen to see if this can be replicated? I'd like to turn my anecdote into data.
I use Techron a couple of times a year. No idea how well it works or if it even does anything in our engines to benefit them. I just do it as a prophylactic and since it's relatively cheap, I don't think twice about it.

As for the Toyota Engine Oil Treatment, I'm sold. I will use it every three or four oil changes.

I'm nearing the 7k mile mark on this oil change interval and just had to add 1 qt of oil so far. I'm likely taking it to 10k miles, but we'll see.....I may do it a bit sooner.
Old 09-17-15, 02:57 AM
Mallard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I use Techron a couple of times a year. No idea how well it works or if it even does anything in our engines to benefit them. I just do it as a prophylactic and since it's relatively cheap, I don't think twice about it.

As for the Toyota Engine Oil Treatment, I'm sold. I will use it every three or four oil changes.

I'm nearing the 7k mile mark on this oil change interval and just had to add 1 qt of oil so far. I'm likely taking it to 10k miles, but we'll see.....I may do it a bit sooner.
Were you using techron when you were having the problems? It's been a miracle cure for me. I'm dreading filling up again in case it goes back to rubbish.
Old 09-17-15, 08:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Were you using techron when you were having the problems? It's been a miracle cure for me. I'm dreading filling up again in case it goes back to rubbish.
Yes I was. Thats' how I narrowed it down to the oil.
Old 09-21-15, 12:13 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Schematic

Does anyone have diagrams of the GDI (direct injection) pump?
Old 09-27-15, 07:24 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roadfrog, because of the hesitation and lifter noise upon start up I dumped a bottle and a half of Rislone Concentrate in (after extracting about a quart of oil). I haven't heard or felt any difference after 100 miles. I thought I read that you had tried this? Did you have success with this or the Toyota engine oil treatment ?? If it was with Rislone, how many miles did take to notice anything ??

Last edited by jfattibe; 09-27-15 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-27-15, 07:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jfattibe
Roadfrog, because of the hesitation and lifter noise upon start up I dumped a bottle and a half of Rislone Concentrate in (after extracting about a quart of oil). I haven't heard or felt any difference after 100 miles. I thought I read that you had tried this? Did you have success with this or the Toyota engine oil treatment ?? If it was with Rislone, how many miles did take to notice anything ??
Yes, I had some luck with the Rislone. However, my biggest gain (and complete cure of the hesitation), came after the Toyota Engine Oil System Cleaner and TGMO 0W20

There are several Rislone products. Which did you use?
Old 09-27-15, 07:47 PM
jfattibe
Driver

Yes, I had some luck with the Rislone. However, my biggest gain (and complete cure of the hesitation), came after the Toyota Engine Oil System Cleaner and TGMO 0W20

There are several Rislone products. Which did you use?

I used the 16oz. concentrate.
Old 09-27-15, 07:54 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I used the 16oz. concentrate.
Yes, but they make several different products (oil treatment, engine treatrment, fuel injector treatment etc).
Old 09-28-15, 03:46 AM
jfattibe
Driver

[QUOTE=roadfrog;9197075]Yes, but they make several different products (oil treatment, engine treatrment, fuel injector treatment.

Engine Treatment
Old 09-28-15, 05:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=jfattibe;9197254]

Yes, but they make several different products (oil treatment, engine treatrment, fuel injector treatment.

Engine Treatment
Yep, thats the stuff. Maybe you need to drive it a bit more for it to work. I'd still use the Toyota product when you get a chance.
Old 09-28-15, 06:29 AM
jfattibe
Driver

[QUOTE=roadfrog;9197297]

Yep, thats the stuff. Maybe you need to drive it a bit more for it to work. I'd still use the Toyota product when you get a chance.

Will do, thanks Chris
Old 09-28-15, 03:37 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Mallard - Since you're from down undah, and since y'all drive on the wrong bloody side of the road ... are you certain your right turns aren't actually left turns?

7milesout
Old 09-30-15, 06:13 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im just starting to have the same problem. Its a night and day difference, had the valve recall done about 2 months ago. Going to contact Lexus tomorrow and see whats going on..
Old 10-22-15, 12:56 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Consult your mechanic/workshop before proceeding with Rislone.

Quick Reply: Hesitation on Acceleration