LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

GPS Compass

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 05:52 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GPS Compass

Have a 2012 LS460AWD. The compass on the GPS reads correctly when driving North or South. However, when I drive in a Westerly direction it reads the opposite direction East. When I drive East it reads the opposite direciont for the West. Has anyone encountered this? I am due to go to the dealer in about a month (60 miles away) and will have them check it. Just wondering if anyone else could tell me if they had the problem and what the fix might be. Hope it is not operator malfunction .
Old 09-10-12, 06:16 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
Have a 2012 LS460AWD. The compass on the GPS reads correctly when driving North or South. However, when I drive in a Westerly direction it reads the opposite direction East. When I drive East it reads the opposite direciont for the West. Has anyone encountered this? I am due to go to the dealer in about a month (60 miles away) and will have them check it. Just wondering if anyone else could tell me if they had the problem and what the fix might be. Hope it is not operator malfunction .
Check to see if your navi is set to north up.
Old 09-10-12, 06:19 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Check this discussion to see if it helps you understand the compass: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...n-compass.html
Old 10-18-12, 08:42 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jmcraney had posted nice explanation and pictures at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...n-compass.html
Are you sure you are correct? I also find it very unusual that you and the technician seem to have found the same "problem" on a brand new car..
Perhaps you can post pictures as jmcraney did? Post a picture with N up and then direction up, without actually moving the car.. I will check my two LS 600s.
Old 10-18-12, 08:54 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

actually, I just checked my 2011 RX. Its nav is different from my lexus nav. I selected the dual screen function to display compass in right half and it works fine.. it does indicate East up when car was pointed to east.
Old 10-19-12, 10:03 AM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

I think this is just a calibration issue.

For those who want to check their compass for accuracy try doing this.

Find a straight stretch road, a couple of miles will do. Put your map display in the heading-up mode. As you drive straight down the straight road, observe that the road is displayed straight up and down on your map display. If the road is displayed at an angle, the angle might be slight or severe depending on the extent of the compass error, then you need to calibrate your compass.

Compass calibration is very easy and low risk. The designers of the navigation system intended for the car owners to do this. The Owner's Manual writers however did not provide much detail.