LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Accident and Lexus warranty questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 12:31 PM
gs4bkny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident and Lexus warranty questions.

I currently own a 2008 ls600h. I had a minor fender bender yesterday. I stopped to avoid a person that cut me off yesterday and the car behind me ran into me. A police report was made and the insurance information was exchanged. I have a lexus 4 year extended warranty.

My questions are.
Does an accident void the warranty?
Do you have to report and accident to lexus?

thank you in advance for your help.
Old 05-11-15, 12:59 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. The accident will not void your warranty and the accident don't have to be reported to Lexus.
Old 05-11-15, 01:05 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

If the accident is a result of other the damages then the insurance will pay out. If a defect is found on incidental inspection that is not related then the warranty covers it.
Your warranty is not voided and you should not have to report it to Lexus.

Just make sure the body shop in question makes sure there are no other damages to the car and the work is done right. In the future if you have a problem that was the cause of the accident the warranty may not cover it.
Old 05-11-15, 02:56 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Just make sure you take it to a top notch auto body shop that will do a thorough inspection of all damage. Once you accept the insurance company's check if anything else surfaces later you are SOL.

(Well that is the case in Massachusetts, your state laws may be different.)
Old 05-11-15, 04:04 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Apologies upfront if this will muddy the water!

I have lived through something like this before, took my 10 LWB CPO to the dealer to check the passenger side front air suspension. I get a call saying that they will not touch it because the front fender was painted... I drive back to the dealer to talk to the shop foreman who showed me using the paint meter that the paint on the fender is thicker than the rest of the car. I go back to the dealer who certified the car to confirm that this was a finding during the CPO inspection before I owned it, this way car was warrantied considering the paint. The first dealer then agreed to revisit the suspension. There was nothing wrong with the suspension anyways!

So, If I am in your shoes, I will take it to the dealer to fix it. This way they can't claim it was not done right and warrantee the work.

I agree with all that it will not void the warranty but it may cause finger pointing if something goes bad in the area around the repair. That's why I say let the dealer do it, especially if it is minor.

Last edited by hfahmy; 05-11-15 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 04:27 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Apologies upfront if this will muddy the water!

I have lived through something like this before, took my 10 LWB CPO to the dealer to check the passenger side front air suspension. I get a call saying that they will not touch it because the front fender was painted... I drive back to the dealer to talk to the shop foreman who showed me using the paint meter that the paint on the fender is thicker than the rest of the car. I go back to the dealer who certified the car to confirm that this was a finding during the CPO inspection before I owned it, this way car was warrantied considering the paint. The first dealer then agreed to revisit the suspension. There was nothing wrong with the suspension anyways!

So, If I am in your shoes, I will take it to the dealer to fix it. This way they can't claim it was not done right and warrantee the work.

I agree with all that it will not void the warranty but it may cause finger pointing if something goes bad in the area around the repair. That's why I say let the dealer do it, especially if it is minor.
that is a great point, had the suspension failed it would be a finger pointing match to assume responsibility..