LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 12:55 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by HushedRide
Yes, I came from driving EVs primarily over the past 4 years.

I purchased an LS460L as a temporary car, something to drive for a year before finding (hopefully) a more refined EV.

I wanted an LS500. The problem was I drove the LS500 against the LS460L and found the older model to be both quieter and to have a better ride, my two top criteria. That's it.
I came from a 2020 GS Fsport. Paid 49k new. Sold for 40k three years later. My upgrade to LS500 cost me 16k more and car had only 3k more miles on it.
Contrast matters for all of us. The LS500 for what I paid (Perceived value) and Coming from a GS was a natural upgrade. Not like I shopped the market.
I was either getting a gently used Macan S or the LS500.
I never drove an LS460. Im sure it lives up to its reputation!
Old 12-19-23, 11:40 PM
sl0519
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's December and we still haven't seen any new trademarks.
Is it officially dead? Didn't Carmaker1 say they are going to do something with the LS 2025?
Old 12-20-23, 09:41 AM
Lingus
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

"LS Discontinued"

Priceless 🤣🤣🤣
Old 01-08-24, 05:32 AM
TXLS430
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive a 2013 LS460. Dropped it off this weekend and heard from the service rep that the rumor going around was that the LS was going to be discontinued. Surprised me. Came here to search said subject and came across this thread. The LS500 doesn't do it for me, but I would be surprised if they cancelled. I guess time will tell, but that being said the rumor at the dealerships is still out there.
Old 01-08-24, 09:28 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXLS430
I drive a 2013 LS460. Dropped it off this weekend and heard from the service rep that the rumor going around was that the LS was going to be discontinued. Surprised me. Came here to search said subject and came across this thread. The LS500 doesn't do it for me, but I would be surprised if they cancelled. I guess time will tell, but that being said the rumor at the dealerships is still out there.
obviously you looked to see if we had any additional information to which we really don't. You can see its been discussed and really after 7 years its to be expected. Personally I was surprised they bought it back one more year for 2024!

The LS500 suffers as do many luxury sedans that don't do big volume in China which became a very important market for the Teutonic gods who sell nicely there. They were quite the status symbols. For goodness sake it was also the biggest market for Buicks!!!
Japan build really never did very well in China for many reasons as one who knows history might expect. If not look up "The rape of Nanking".
US markets crave high end luxury SUV's. Things change.
Some of us came from GS350 and take it very personal as that model was discontinued (LOL) and wish they had kept going with it! Some of us are super happy Lexus did continue the LS line and really enjoy the model.
Lexus does show us some very interesting concepts that likely will be hybrid or electric if its to be a flagship type experience.
Funny that Lexus is about the only company that still installs a naturally aspired V8 in their cars (LC and IS) but not the LS!
Your not the first LS460 visitor who are compelled to show your patriotic duty and love your V8 and maybe want to tell us Lexus got "Lazy" or something, then we tell you the LS500 out performs the V8 and blah blah blah.
Then you tell us how your a giant human and don't fit in the back of the LS500 even though your not "Miss Daisy" or have a personal Driver. Maybe your teenage sons don't fit back there and you love them so much you won't make them suffer in a newer LS!
That, and the Touch pad annoys you (but you love the mouse?), then you tell us it looks like the ES, but forget the Lexus of your era all looked similar too! Please note this is a stab at humor and not start any debate over whose car is better or not! There is not right answer.
We get it. Not everyone likes the LS500.
The LS460 is really a nice car. We here in the LS500 Tower of Babel really understand this and many were former owners who do admit they "ride better".
me? its the sound system and massage seats! And the long *** hood style really looks good to ME.
In many ways the LX is the ultimate lux boat that Lexus sells. Lexus is changing with the times. Not everyone likes that.
Curious why you came here to tell us the LS500 does not do it for you?

Last edited by Nalod; 01-08-24 at 01:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nalod:
Fhobbs (01-09-24), PGA71 (01-08-24), sajack (01-09-24)
Old 01-10-24, 03:45 PM
Lingus
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Next up: The virtues of the ES350.

Waiting for it.....
Old 01-15-24, 05:34 AM
TXLS430
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nalod, I did not come here to post that the LS500 doesn't work for me. I thought my original post was clear....I was surprised to hear a "rumor" from service that the LS model was being discontinued. I turned to Google and this was the only board that had any mention of it. After I saw the posts here, my only intent was to mention that the rumor is still alive. That was the reason for my post - nothing less, nothing more.

Originally Posted by Nalod
obviously you looked to see if we had any additional information to which we really don't. You can see its been discussed and really after 7 years its to be expected. Personally I was surprised they bought it back one more year for 2024!

The LS500 suffers as do many luxury sedans that don't do big volume in China which became a very important market for the Teutonic gods who sell nicely there. They were quite the status symbols. For goodness sake it was also the biggest market for Buicks!!!
Japan build really never did very well in China for many reasons as one who knows history might expect. If not look up "The rape of Nanking".
US markets crave high end luxury SUV's. Things change.
Some of us came from GS350 and take it very personal as that model was discontinued (LOL) and wish they had kept going with it! Some of us are super happy Lexus did continue the LS line and really enjoy the model.
Lexus does show us some very interesting concepts that likely will be hybrid or electric if its to be a flagship type experience.
Funny that Lexus is about the only company that still installs a naturally aspired V8 in their cars (LC and IS) but not the LS!
Your not the first LS460 visitor who are compelled to show your patriotic duty and love your V8 and maybe want to tell us Lexus got "Lazy" or something, then we tell you the LS500 out performs the V8 and blah blah blah.
Then you tell us how your a giant human and don't fit in the back of the LS500 even though your not "Miss Daisy" or have a personal Driver. Maybe your teenage sons don't fit back there and you love them so much you won't make them suffer in a newer LS!
That, and the Touch pad annoys you (but you love the mouse?), then you tell us it looks like the ES, but forget the Lexus of your era all looked similar too! Please note this is a stab at humor and not start any debate over whose car is better or not! There is not right answer.
We get it. Not everyone likes the LS500.
The LS460 is really a nice car. We here in the LS500 Tower of Babel really understand this and many were former owners who do admit they "ride better".
me? its the sound system and massage seats! And the long *** hood style really looks good to ME.
In many ways the LX is the ultimate lux boat that Lexus sells. Lexus is changing with the times. Not everyone likes that.
Curious why you came here to tell us the LS500 does not do it for you?
Old 01-16-24, 08:43 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TXLS430
Nalod, I did not come here to post that the LS500 doesn't work for me. I thought my original post was clear....I was surprised to hear a "rumor" from service that the LS model was being discontinued. I turned to Google and this was the only board that had any mention of it. After I saw the posts here, my only intent was to mention that the rumor is still alive. That was the reason for my post - nothing less, nothing more.

So we get:

TXLS430 heard a rumor from a service guy who heard a rumor.
The LS500 does not float your boat.

No worries, we got it!

Last edited by Nalod; 01-17-24 at 05:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sajack (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 08:54 AM
BuyingLX
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS is going now where as long the market for Mercedes S Class, BMW 7 Series, and Audi A8 exists.

If you look at all these models, and other korean or even chinese wanna be luxury cars, you'll notice that Lexus LS is the only one falling behind when it comes to "cosmetics". I believe the LS will have a big refresh coming up for its exterior and interior to follow the current category design trends. And IMO it is not too difficult to speculate where they're going with their current lineup...

1) Remove V8 > put v6 with turbo-charge > remove the turbo and replace with electric motor to provide sweet torque and quiet city acceleration.
2) Remove touch pad > put touch screen > remove buttons and replace with touch screen control.
3) Replace tiny front grill with huge grill > blend grill with body color, allowing them to go even bigger > make the front fascia huge like BMW 7 series.

The LS is behind in most of those things they're implementing with the rest of their models. So I imagine it will show up one day after two years with a whole new look.
Old 01-17-24, 11:47 AM
Nalod
Advanced

The touch screen is now in year two.

I outlined why the German builds do well. Europe and China markets matter.
I think the LS is dead. An electric flagship perhaps? 5 door thing?
If the "S" is for sedan, I might be right.
But a flagship replacement what ever its called I would agree is coming.