LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 07:56 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy LS Discontinued

Well, word came to me from my dealership that Lexus will be discontinuing the LS probably 2024, but the date is not in stone. Reasons, as you can imagine, are poor sales in light of SUVs, and the electric auto movement by the new president of Toyota Motors. With the electric RZ, and the IS going all electric within two years and the movement of new models and electric ES and RX and NX, etc. we can see the writing on the wall. The new president of Toyota/Lexus has been quite different than his predecessor who was pushed out a few months ago for a very conservative approach to the growth of EVs. Lexus wants to be in this competitive approach to the EVs. I will miss my LS having had my first one in 1989, and going back to the LS in 2018, but did not go for the LS 2022 as the features were the same. There is no blueprint for updating the LS at this time.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (05-29-23)
Old 05-25-23, 08:50 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

I wonder what they are they are going to replace it with. Lexus is a luxury brand, just like BMW, Benz, or another other top end brand, they always have a top end luxury cars.

Will they make a luxury EV? Personally, I am not sold on EVs yet and fake motor sounds into the car is not something I am interested in.
Old 05-25-23, 02:10 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

My previous car was a 2020 GS350. Extinct.
Now the LS500?
I can see a sort of higher end version of the Crown for Lexus. Big tall sedan/wagon thing. This is what people want in the US market.
Old 05-26-23, 03:06 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Last Ride

I’m almost 77 and plan to quit 90% of my driving in 4-5 years. I thought about this before buying my 2020 LS and decided that I would be happy riding off into the sunset in my big sedan, low to the ground, easy entry and exit, less prone to rollover, safe, secure, good looking, pretty much what my dad and uncles drove.
I have never been able to visualize myself driving a soccermom mobile, wife could no longer get into my F150, and except for maybe the Macan, there just wasn’t an SUV that I could see myself driving.
I wanted to stick with Lexus. We have two. M-B was an option, but I’m way too far from a dealer.
I will enjoy the exclusivity of a big sedan in the years to come. UX, NX, RX just don’t do it for me. Seems to me that Lexus could keep a line open for the LS worldwide sales. It works for Mercedes.
I think an RWD based SUV is going to be a must for Lexus if it abandons the sedan market before EVs take over the market completely, assuming that could happen.

Last edited by sajack; 05-26-23 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-26-23, 07:13 AM
SpudsMcD
Pit Crew

Received 152 Likes on 68 Posts

Sounds like BS to me. Toyota is not going to kill their flagship. I don't even believe it will go EV-only. Toyota knows pure EV is difficult to implement IRL (charging network, etc.). I would believe that there will be an EV LS, but not that the LS is going to be exclusively EV. Nor that it is being killed. Your dealership guy is a real yenta.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpudsMcD:
Dagenus (06-02-23), DavidinCT (06-03-23)
Old 05-26-23, 07:36 AM
Nalod
Advanced

LS is “Luxury Sedan”.
They might have a flagship Crown like thing, and call it something else?
My take is they will have a CrossOver more exclusive choice over the RX.
It will be a knock out and we’ll all want it. Kind of a bit taller LS “Shootingbrake “ type.
They do that and keep the LS nobody would buy it. Lets be real, the LS style damn near looks like a A7 Type and couild have had a “hatch”. The LS low headroom and style. Sort of a fatter Panarama Sport.
Wife Drives a A4 allroad. Our 4th audi “AVANT”. Had an A6 based allroad in 2004 was our first. Audi is a hold out but more small cross over carlike choices now.
MY new to me LS500 is AWD and we empty nesters. Nothing this car can’t do that an SUV can except drive in deep unplowed snow. Allroad is 6 inches higher. I don’ t need to tell the world im “King of the road” in a large *** truck. LS500 is fast, quiet, comfortable and killer audio.
There will always be somthing bigger , faster, and better looking. Lexus will not forget us. But for now the LS era might be done. Another will emerge with a different name.

FYI, if Genesis imported the G7 shooting brake I’d have had one. Different market segment than the LS500 but im a sucker for sort wagons like that. If could have been had in MT, it be a no brainer.
Old 05-27-23, 02:54 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Flagship

The LS is responsible for establishing Lexus as a premium brand.
Dressing up Toyota models and placing the Lexus name on them may not appeal to everyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by sajack:
Carmaker1 (05-27-23), DavidinCT (06-03-23)
Old 05-27-23, 02:39 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi all can some one really confirms this i dont see any internet news about this ?
Is this real or fake news?
I only found that they cancelled LEXUS LS F,
but no words about LS
Old 05-27-23, 05:26 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM
Well, word came to me from my dealership that Lexus will be discontinuing the LS probably 2024, but the date is not in stone. Reasons, as you can imagine, are poor sales in light of SUVs, and the electric auto movement by the new president of Toyota Motors. With the electric RZ, and the IS going all electric within two years and the movement of new models and electric ES and RX and NX, etc. we can see the writing on the wall. The new president of Toyota/Lexus has been quite different than his predecessor who was pushed out a few months ago for a very conservative approach to the growth of EVs. Lexus wants to be in this competitive approach to the EVs. I will miss my LS having had my first one in 1989, and going back to the LS in 2018, but did not go for the LS 2022 as the features were the same. There is no blueprint for updating the LS at this time.
The LS sees zero changes for 2024 MY and nothing appears to be scheduled beyond 2025 per Japanese sources like MarkLines. So yes, I am concerned.

We can only study the situation carefully and see what happens. When the GS was canceled at design freeze and suspended indefinitely, Japanese media were informed and released the info in late December 2016.

I helped make it public in the rest of the world, by sharing my findings and it reaching Western media in March 2017. Lexus didn't confirm the demise of the GS until spring/summer 2020.

Your wording however, makes me skeptical.

Koji Sato is the new CEO of Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha (TMC) effective April 1, but was president of Lexus from early 2020 to March 31, 2023.

Every Lexus model introduced for MY 2023 to present, has some degree of influence from him. The first vehicles mostly developed under his Lexus tenure, are barely being revealed and even at that, had roots in the late 2010s. The first Lexus models entirely initiated under Sato, are 2025 models.

Seems odd for you to deduce it was because of the new president of Toyota Motors, if he's been involved with Lexus for years.

I really hate context being written like this, because in his role as head of Lexus, he can make those decisions indeed regardless of his new role. But in his role as CEO, he still answers to Akio Toyoda in some capacity.

Akio isn't gone entirely. They didn't send him off into his countryside Aichi villa to stare into the wilderness.

If the LS has been killed, an announcement will be made at least 6 months prior to production ending.

I had heard in early March, that the USA dealer body was informed in February that the LS would be backburned for 1-2 years and get some attention then. They don't really know what to do with it. You might have necessary info, in terms of an update on that indecision unfortunately.

Originally Posted by bladest
Hi all can some one really confirms this i dont see any internet news about this ?
Is this real or fake news?
I only found that they cancelled LEXUS LS F,
but no words about LS
You're not going to find such information on the internet. I often say this, to remind people that you cannot trust vloggers and news media, without an internal source telling them.

It's people in the trade itself, who knows this information more than the media.

Even if I find delivery of the context off, the OP might have the right insight. Previously I heard this verbatim in early March:

My General Manager told us that the Lexus heads at the conference said, that the LS is probably going to be put on the back burner for a year maybe two but not killed.

​​​​​​Obviously this can change, but at least that’s what Lexus USA said last month (February 2023).

​​​​​​
When the GS future got cancelled in late 2016, it was a disaster of proportions in regards to communication for 2-3 more years.

I had to lead the horses to water. No one knew Japanese well enough nor bothered to follow Japanese media back then, to zero-in on the cancelation rumors from one of their prominent magazines, not sold to foreigners and available to Japanese residents only.

I used a property address in Japan, to get a hold of a copy for myself. A Lexus forum owner, took the lead from me and bought one himself, to get some answers. After 8 weeks spent getting a professional translation done, in March 2017 he posted on his site Lexus Enthusiast, the cancellation of the GS development project.

At the time, Lexus Global HQ hadn't even shared with the USA staff that the 300B GS Development Program was suspended in favor of the Toyota Mirai and had no future.

Following that announcement, I had bad info coming from Lexus USA sources that the GS was still coming and would arrive in 2019 as a 2020 model.

I tried to refute the cancellation rumor on that basis, not knowing I had bad info from the USA body, who was still in the dark.

Finally by 2018, I had heard from someone at Lexus UK, explaining to me that ES was replacing the GS and the new GS vehicle was absolutely not coming to market at least for Europe. Eventually, the same info was shared with USA.

It wasn't until Japanese news again discussed end of production dates, that the death of GS after 2020 was leaked in March/April 2020 (can't recall).

We're gonna have to see what happens next year, regarding the LS future.

If there are no trademarks filed this year by December, then yes it's probably dead. The LS lineup requires some changes after 7-8 years and trademarks would need to be filed for new LS nameplates, like LS 500e or LS 500h+.

If it's dead, no need to file new trademarks for a PHEV or BEV, which is often 2 years ahead of release per Toyota practice.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-27-23 at 05:31 PM.
landonm86 (01-16-24)
Old 05-28-23, 01:50 AM
sl0519
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
The LS sees zero changes for 2024 MY and nothing appears to be scheduled beyond 2025 per Japanese sources like MarkLines. So yes, I am concerned.

We can only study the situation carefully and see what happens. When the GS was canceled at design freeze and suspended indefinitely, Japanese media were informed and released the info in late December 2016.

I helped make it public in the rest of the world, by sharing my findings and it reaching Western media in March 2017. Lexus didn't confirm the demise of the GS until spring/summer 2020.

Your wording however, makes me skeptical.

Koji Sato is the new CEO of Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha (TMC) effective April 1, but was president of Lexus from early 2020 to March 31, 2023.

Every Lexus model introduced for MY 2023 to present, has some degree of influence from him. The first vehicles mostly developed under his Lexus tenure, are barely being revealed and even at that, had roots in the late 2010s. The first Lexus models entirely initiated under Sato, are 2025 models.

Seems odd for you to deduce it was because of the new president of Toyota Motors, if he's been involved with Lexus for years.

I really hate context being written like this, because in his role as head of Lexus, he can make those decisions indeed regardless of his new role. But in his role as CEO, he still answers to Akio Toyoda in some capacity.

Akio isn't gone entirely. They didn't send him off into his countryside Aichi villa to stare into the wilderness.

If the LS has been killed, an announcement will be made at least 6 months prior to production ending.

I had heard in early March, that the USA dealer body was informed in February that the LS would be backburned for 1-2 years and get some attention then. They don't really know what to do with it. You might have necessary info, in terms of an update on that indecision unfortunately.

You're not going to find such information on the internet. I often say this, to remind people that you cannot trust vloggers and news media, without an internal source telling them.

It's people in the trade itself, who knows this information more than the media.

Even if I find delivery of the context off, the OP might have the right insight. Previously I heard this verbatim in early March:

My General Manager told us that the Lexus heads at the conference said, that the LS is probably going to be put on the back burner for a year maybe two but not killed.

​​​​​​Obviously this can change, but at least that’s what Lexus USA said last month (February 2023).

​​​​​​
When the GS future got cancelled in late 2016, it was a disaster of proportions in regards to communication for 2-3 more years.

I had to lead the horses to water. No one knew Japanese well enough nor bothered to follow Japanese media back then, to zero-in on the cancelation rumors from one of their prominent magazines, not sold to foreigners and available to Japanese residents only.

I used a property address in Japan, to get a hold of a copy for myself. A Lexus forum owner, took the lead from me and bought one himself, to get some answers. After 8 weeks spent getting a professional translation done, in March 2017 he posted on his site Lexus Enthusiast, the cancellation of the GS development project.

At the time, Lexus Global HQ hadn't even shared with the USA staff that the 300B GS Development Program was suspended in favor of the Toyota Mirai and had no future.

Following that announcement, I had bad info coming from Lexus USA sources that the GS was still coming and would arrive in 2019 as a 2020 model.

I tried to refute the cancellation rumor on that basis, not knowing I had bad info from the USA body, who was still in the dark.

Finally by 2018, I had heard from someone at Lexus UK, explaining to me that ES was replacing the GS and the new GS vehicle was absolutely not coming to market at least for Europe. Eventually, the same info was shared with USA.

It wasn't until Japanese news again discussed end of production dates, that the death of GS after 2020 was leaked in March/April 2020 (can't recall).

We're gonna have to see what happens next year, regarding the LS future.

If there are no trademarks filed this year by December, then yes it's probably dead. The LS lineup requires some changes after 7-8 years and trademarks would need to be filed for new LS nameplates, like LS 500e or LS 500h+.

If it's dead, no need to file new trademarks for a PHEV or BEV, which is often 2 years ahead of release per Toyota practice.
Or, perhaps they are thinking an extensive facelift in 2025 so it does make sense not making any new trademarks until maybe 2028 when they finally decide on what they are gonna do with the LS lineup.
Old 05-28-23, 08:31 AM
Nalod
Advanced

LS is aging well because there are fewer players in this space. No flagships at any other Japanese build. Genesis is still going at it but its not really any great effort by them. The German trio of BMW, Audi, and MB still have it but they do very well in China besides their home market in Europe.
Lexus has never done well in China for obvious reasons.
US market were taxes are low and Gas prices reasonable prefers big *** SUV’s.
Old 05-28-23, 09:37 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalod
Genesis is still going at it but its not really any great effort by them.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by your comment. Genesis is no Lexus, well when it comes to service. But as for the car, it's a world ahead by a long shot. I'm no fan of the new 2023 design, but I'd put a 2022 Genesis G90 5.0 Ultimate against any top of the line LS500 out there. Lexus dropped the ball with the LS500 or I'd have one. Don't get me wrong, Lexus is a great company. They just got lazy. The LS400 innovated the world. And then . . . . .
LS500Fan (05-28-23)
Old 05-28-23, 10:31 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Originally Posted by R Z
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by your comment. Genesis is no Lexus, well when it comes to service. But as for the car, it's a world ahead by a long shot. I'm no fan of the new 2023 design, but I'd put a 2022 Genesis G90 5.0 Ultimate against any top of the line LS500 out there. Lexus dropped the ball with the LS500 or I'd have one. Don't get me wrong, Lexus is a great company. They just got lazy. The LS400 innovated the world. And then . . . . .
Your naturally a fanboy and advocate for your 2017 Genesis.
The New G90 vs 2018 Lexus? 5 year difference.
The LS and LC are really good vehicles for the money in 2017 when introduced. one might say at that price points excellent.
The world changed.
Dagenus (06-02-23)
Old 05-28-23, 12:44 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

could it be possible that an all electric sedan comes out as soon as 2025, perhaps with name of the LZ, and with that LS is retired? Just wondering, I have no basis for this .
I've noted the concept cars on lexus.com.
If this sedan concept comes to realization, the "Lexus all electric sedan concept" on: https://www.lexus.com/concept/electrified-future
I cant tell if that is intended to be LS size and scope or a smaller/ less luxurious model?
but if lexus wants to go after Mercedes in the high end all electric sedan race, then it would be best to be high-end/ LS level......?
Old 05-28-23, 06:19 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudsMcD
Sounds like BS to me. Toyota is not going to kill their flagship. I don't even believe it will go EV-only. Toyota knows pure EV is difficult to implement IRL (charging network, etc.). I would believe that there will be an EV LS, but not that the LS is going to be exclusively EV. Nor that it is being killed. Your dealership guy is a real yenta.
It's funny you said that about the "charging network" Ford just partnered with Tesla to use their supercharger network.

Quick Reply: LS Discontinued