LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

2018 Lexus LS 500 Base Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-23, 08:29 AM
zeulu12345
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Lexus LS 500 Base Audio System

Hi, I recently purchased a 2018 Lexus LS 500 without the Mark Levinson sound system. The bass in the vehicle sounds pretty flat even with the bass turned up all the way through the infotainment system. I know someone that works at my local Lexus dealership as a master certified technician and I asked him what my options for upgrade are. He said that unfortunately there isnt much I can do to switch out the amplifier considering it’s incorporated into several systems, so replacing the amp would create more issues than it would be worth. Additionally, that I could replace the subwoofer with another as long as the impedance is the same. If it’s not the same, the amp will think the speaker is shorted & turn off completely. Apparently, physically changing it isn’t terribly difficult, the back seat and rear seat trim has to come out. Its bolted to the package tray from the top down.

wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on switching out the existing amplifier and subwoofer, or adding an additional subwoofer in the trunk enclosure? I’m nervous to even bring it to a car stereo professional installer, given the warning from the Lexus Master Certified Tech that I know? Anyone had any issues or success stories? What did you install?

thanks
Old 07-05-23, 01:07 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

Don't keep the Bass all the way up!
Turn the treble down. Kick up the mid just a bit.
Then relax.
Many make the mistake of turning up the bass all the way but now your distorting things.
Also live with yoru settings after a few days. Your ears won't be happy when you turn things down but trust me they adapt.
All sound opinions are subjective. I get you want more bass, and perhaps adding a box in the trunk tapped into the bass outputs but using an external amp will help give you the kick your looking for.
But, and please take this the right way, the ML system is glorious but the bass too is a matter of personal taste. If you used to having an kick *** aftermarket with lots of bass even the ML system might not make you happy.
I have a BMW with Bass from favctory under the seats. You felt it. In the LS500 you don't, but you hear it balanced. An efficient system plays most frequencies at the same level. Not to say thats "best". thats subjective!
But its what Audiophiles strive for. Not all agree. Thats cool!!!

Im not saying any of the above will make you happy. Like I said, its all subjective. what kind of music, the quality/bit rate of what your listening to, and how you like to listen all matters.
Understand ear fatigue as a factor.
I would take it to a high end shop and talk to them about your concerns. Talk to a few shops in fact. then decide on your budget.
I am an 60 year old that loves jazz and a midrange kick. You might be into hip hop, or urban sounds, or pehraps heavy metal. For the right some of money, you can have what ever you want. But at what price and risks?
The following users liked this post:
Rich707 (07-09-23)
Old 07-15-23, 06:23 PM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This is one of the things I didnt like about the new model. they took a perfectly good sounding sytem in the older model and completely ruined it. the new stereo sounds flat and artificial. i tried to redo it by adding an amplifier but it was impossible as the cables from the head unit were propeitery and controlled many different things. i eventually went with a seperate wireless bluetooth receiver in the car that went to an amplifier and sound processsor in the trunk.I also changed the door speakers and subwoffer in the back. its not a simple job as you also need to cut and solder all the speaker wires to the new amp but also being carefull to leave the front dash speakers still connected to the car amp as it needs this for voice commands like gps ad so on.

Last edited by gemini6kl; 07-15-23 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-17-23, 01:36 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

The easiest thing to do is have a shop tap into the stock sub, run the signal to a new amp, and add a subwoofer. You won't be interfering with the OEM equipment and it's easily reversible. I've done it in a bunch of cars. It has always been a night and day difference.
Old 04-29-24, 07:54 AM
navilexus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After a new weeks of owning an LS 500 base I found out my rear speakers can barely hear sound and no subwoofer. That's not normal. Could it be a Unit head issue. Will schedule a service have dealer check it out.