LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Shopping LS - Few Q's (Air Suspension & Luxury Package)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 03:31 PM
Jerome10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shopping LS - Few Q's (Air Suspension & Luxury Package)

Shopping a new LS (2023). I have to say even finding a car to test drive is darn near impossible. Is there an ongoing shortage of these or they just don't sell many so they don't make many? In the entire Pacific Northwest there are currently 3 vehicles. 1 Seattle 2 in Oregon. That's it. There is just very limited info on reviews, youtube etc. Its a little nuts. Even doing a search on the eminent white pearl paint and AWD, without Lux package and I think I found 11 vehicles in the entire country....

Anyway, main question is what is the consensus on the air suspension? Could be a long-term purchase which gives more concern. A lease less so. Is the air suspension leaps and bounds better than the standard? Does it improve ride quality on rough pavement AND improve cornering or is it really just an improvement on ride quality with minimal improvement in handling?

How about the Luxury Package? $12,000 seems awfully steep to me. The Interior Upgrade Package feels like the sweet spot but maybe I'm missing something on the Luxury package?

The rest I suppose you get what you get. Don't really want pano but they all seem to come with it. Same with 20" wheels (I'd prefer 19's). Will get the Mark Levinson if going with this car. Heated Steering wheel.

We'll see. It sits in a unique spot where it isn't nearly as blasted expensive as the Germans, perhaps somewhat in line with the Audi A8. But seems a step above an E Class or 5 Series. It is a very nice looking sedan. So sits in kinda a sweet spot. Had a few Lexues over the years and liked them all and hoping the LS might fit the bill. The ES unfortunately just won't cut it with FWD. Not really interested in SUVs like everyone else these days....

Old 07-18-23, 05:19 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 230 Posts

When I was searching for my ultimate LS500 and GS350 replacement for several months the must have features and configuration for me was AWD, Luxury package, ML Sound, 24 inch HUD and adaptive air suspension which I finally found loaded up with even more. Pretty much everything but the executive package.

To answer you question the Lux PKG provides:
Includes Interior Upgrade Package, plus:

28-way power-adjustable passenger seat with multifunction massage and cushion extender

Remote adjustment for passenger seat (Pretty sweet)
18-way power-reclining outboard rear seats with memory

Four-zone Climate Concierge with climate-comfort front and outboard rear seats, infrared sensors and air purifier

Power side-window sunshades

Semi-aniline leather-trimmed rear armrest with 7.0-in touchscreen controller

Rear-seat knee airbags.

Panoramic view monitor.

Personally, would not buy this car without it, but this is based on preference and budget.

I like the air suspension which you can adjust by pushing a button to ride and park in a normal position height or high position.
Many have complained of a rougher than expected ride with the run flats but I personally think the run flats with air suspension is perfectly fine.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Old 07-19-23, 06:16 AM
SpudsMcD
Pit Crew

Received 152 Likes on 68 Posts

I bought new a 2022 LS RWD Eminent White Pearl with the only options being 20" wheels and illuminated door sills. The other options you mentioned didn't seem to add much by my reckoning, especially AWD, which just makes the car heavier, kills steering feel (to the extent there is any), and is just another complicated system to maintain and repair. The standard interior is very high quality and I saw no need for an upgrade, coming from a 750Li. It's my wife's car, and she loves it. I like it, but it's not really for a driving enthusiast, so I bought a IS500 which was more to my liking. Be sure to drive a few LSs soon, that should give you a real good feel for all this stuff. It's all in the driving, man.
Old 07-19-23, 04:48 PM
Jerome10
Driver

All helpful feedback, thank you. A drive would be great if I can find one!
Old 07-23-23, 08:07 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

The LS is a great car. Rare, a bit big but it's quick enough to be fun when you want...yet most of the time it's a velvet smooth, quiet, and luxurious experience. It amazes me that the gear shifts are unnoticeable.
I agree the Int upgrade pkg is a sweet spot unless you just 'want it all'.
As discussed in other threads, the ML is an (arguably) critical upgrade as it does impress and the Panoramic View is very useful given the car is so big.
Air rides maybe 10% better in my opinion but down the line it's significantly more expensive to replace. I personally don't find the adjustability (approx. 3/4 inch) does anything significant to appearance, ingress/egress or ride quality.

I recommend watching Dallas, TX (Park Place Lexus was where I bought mine and had it shipped) as that is a major market for Lexus and they get a lot more cars coming through.

Last edited by liazon; 07-23-23 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-24-23, 01:56 PM
Jerome10
Driver

Originally Posted by liazon
The LS is a great car. Rare, a bit big but it's quick enough to be fun when you want...yet most of the time it's a velvet smooth, quiet, and luxurious experience. It amazes me that the gear shifts are unnoticeable.
I agree the Int upgrade pkg is a sweet spot unless you just 'want it all'.
As discussed in other threads, the ML is an (arguably) critical upgrade as it does impress and the Panoramic View is very useful given the car is so big.
Air rides maybe 10% better in my opinion but down the line it's significantly more expensive to replace. I personally don't find the adjustability (approx. 3/4 inch) does anything significant to appearance, ingress/egress or ride quality.

I recommend watching Dallas, TX (Park Place Lexus was where I bought mine and had it shipped) as that is a major market for Lexus and they get a lot more cars coming through.
Thanks for the info on the air suspension.... this has probably been the biggest question mark. It isn't so much the ride height, its more whether it gives a noticeably smoother ride on broken pavement or noticeably better handling if on windy roads. There is just so little info out there. I haven't found anything comparing the air ride and non-air ride side-by-side.

Mark Levinson is a must I think. I've heard great things. Pano view.... not sure about that one. I used to love sunroofs (and Miatas) but find I now seem to prefer windows down but sunroofs etc closed. It actually appears most of the cars I've found online have the pano roof, so it might just be something that comes with the car.

AWD is a must have. Mountains, skiing, 70" of snow average a year here. I've had a couple rear-drive vehicles and they've been acceptable with Blizzaks but I think I'm just kinda done with the questions about getting out of parking lots or the neighborhood before we get a plow. The bit of extra confidence is worth it.
Old 07-24-23, 03:34 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

to be clear, there is the panoramic roof (a 2nd glass 'sunroof' for the rear passengers which does not open) and the panoramic view HUD which is digitally created overhead view of the car that comes on the screen when you go into reverse or press the HUD button (can also be set to come on every time you stop if you wish).
i'm a fan of the latter because it helps with parking and reversing.
personally, i did not want the former because the 2nd 'sunroof' limits how far the main one opens. this photo shows the main roof (on the left) fully open.

Last edited by liazon; 07-24-23 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-25-23, 03:01 PM
Jerome10
Driver

Originally Posted by liazon
to be clear, there is the panoramic roof (a 2nd glass 'sunroof' for the rear passengers which does not open) and the panoramic view HUD which is digitally created overhead view of the car that comes on the screen when you go into reverse or press the HUD button (can also be set to come on every time you stop if you wish).
i'm a fan of the latter because it helps with parking and reversing.
personally, i did not want the former because the 2nd 'sunroof' limits how far the main one opens. this photo shows the main roof (on the left) fully open.
Thanks for clarifying this! Will have to pay attention to the camera vs the sunroofs.
Old 07-25-23, 04:16 PM
Jerome10
Driver

One more question.... when I build online I don't see any particular charge for "premium paint" (Eminent White Pearl). However on a build sheet from my local dealership on an inbound vehicle there is a $500 premium paint charge for Eminent White.

Is this normal?
Old 06-13-24, 07:00 AM
paperhunter2000
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Air suspension - normal or high

I have a 2023 LS500 with AVS. When city or highway driving in normal mode does anyone feel a difference when ride height is set high versus normal ?. I'm not sure but it feels it take road dips better.
Old 06-13-24, 08:21 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Per this article: https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/09/...hnical-review/

ADAPTIVE VARIABLE SUSPENSION
Lexus Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) uses G force, yaw-rate and speed sensors to configure the suspension depending on road conditions and driving input.

AVS controls the shock absorber damping force on all four wheels, and with the LS, the system has had a major upgrade — the linear solenoid actuators are now capable of 650 distinct levels, up from 9 levels on the previous step motor.

So there should be Zero change in height in any mode. Just road feel. It may "loosen up" the feeling on long highway drives, that's maybe what you feel as lowing it. But otherwise they are normal shocks and springs (not air spings).
Old 06-13-24, 10:37 AM
paperhunter2000
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply but I misspoke. I have air suspension. Wondering if most keep their height adjustment in high mode, do they notice a difference versus normal, and if kept in high mode all the time is there any detrimental harm to the air suspension system.
Old 06-13-24, 03:25 PM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Great thread! You guys like you passengers! 28 way pass seat.
Old 06-15-24, 03:12 AM
GM11
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71
Many have complained of a rougher than expected ride with the run flats but I personally think the run flats with air suspension is perfectly fine.
100% agree with this. I'm surprised so many LS owners comment on the rough ride from the RFs and how transformed everything is by switching to regular tires as I never had an issue (I do prefer a slightly stiffer ride and handling however). I have the RFs with air and RF balanced, drive in Comfort mode, passengers remark how smooth the ride is. Could just be I have no idea what I'm missing but very content with the OEM ride,