LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Battery Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-23, 09:02 PM
windemere1
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, @faifai83 You might have missed my reply above the one you quoted. I was able to measure the voltage of the battery around 4-5 DCV, but didn't have any way to measure/estimate CCA at that time. Sorry about that.
Old 12-04-23, 10:33 AM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Over the weekend I replaced the original battery on my 2018 with a size H8 Everstart Platinum AGM one from Walmart ($180 + $14 core), and want to share some details.

Lately I only get to drive the car on weekends and mostly the car sat in the garage. This latest sat was 4 days and the voltage dropped to 11.8 with the "eye indicator" still showing some green color, but couple weeks ago color was yellow after a 7 days sitting. With the old battery (made Jan or Feb 2018?), I noticed the car started a little weaker after sitting for a week, but still started every time. There was no other sights, but I don't want to take a risk of having to jump start.

I think my car calls for size H8, but H6 and H7 should also fit, since physically H8 is just longer than H7 and even longer than H6, with same height and "depth". The Walmart site does mention H8 for the "Executive, Luxury, F-sport Plus Packages". H8 also has more CCA than H6/7, but more important to me is the Reserve Capacity numbers of 160 minutes for size H8 and only 120 minutes for H6, as this will help the car to maintain its memory better, especially in my case of only weekend driving lately. So I would encourage "base trim" owners to consider H7 or H8 if they have the option. I think the only negative is a bit more weight (45 lbs for H6, 59 for H8). The battery tray I think is just one size that will hold all three batteries. Battery is hold down by a top bracket.

I used my jump start device to maintain power during the change so I didn't lose any memories or settings. The only thing I noticed was I had to manually close the trunk the first time after the change. Trunk close power button worked again after first open. Opening button was normal.

Overall I glad I changed. Will know next weekend when I start the car again to see if it starts strong, after a week sitting. My only regret is I bought online and didn't try the local Walmart to see if a more recently made was available. Walmart sent me one made 10/23.

New battery showing 12.5V when installed

Old and new Everstart AGM H8 are of same dimensions
The following 2 users liked this post by sprtent:
Higgie (12-04-23), sajack (12-06-23)
Old 12-05-23, 03:56 PM
rmbrewer
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS500SC
I figured it all out. You have to access the Service Menu. To do this the doors must be shut. With the car started hold down the menu button and turn the headlights off and on 4 times. The menu will pop up. Go to Function Check/Setting. Then go to Camera Setting. Then use the back button beside the menu button to navigate to Steering Angle Setting. Hold down the Menu button to access this function. Go to Next and press the Menu button.

Go to Max Steering Angle Memorize and press the Menu button. Turn the wheel all the way to the left and hold Menu button until the beep. Then turn all the way to the right and hold Menu until it’s beeps

Then toggle over to Steering Center Memorize and put the steering wheel straight. Hold the Menu button until it beeps.

Thats what worked for me. There may be an easier way.

Wow... just wow. At the rec of a mechanic friend of mine, I just took it to the dealer and paid about $280, which was less than some of the batteries that I had priced. There are simply not many maintenance tasks that I feel comfortable tackling anymore. Sad, but true.
Old 03-10-24, 04:51 PM
nhastie
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try connecting a charger to the connection under the front passenger's firewall fuse box?