LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Test Drove a LS500 - Coming from GS F

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23 | 12:04 PM
hillsnow
Driver

Default Test Drove a LS500 - Coming from GS F

Yesterday I got a chance to test drive a 2018 LS500. The model was pretty bare bones in terms of upgrade options but I was more just looking to get a feel for the car interior and how it drives. I daily a GS F so am pretty used to the V8 engine and what it offers. Here are my thoughts!

The engine felt more powerful than I anticipated. It was nice a smooth and the ride quality was amazing -- it felt a lot cushier/floatier than my 2017 GS F. It was very noticeable how much softer it felt both as a passenger and driver. This is what I expected given the GS F is a lot sportier and firmer, but it was just awesome to feel how comfy the LS was. This model did not have the air suspension but I imagine that would make it even softer? The steering was lighter but not too light which I liked. Harder acceleration was great and I did not feel like the turbo V6 was lacking at all. I could also feel nice changes when I switched to Sport/Sport+ drive modes with the louder engine, quicker shifts, higher revs, etc.

We didn't get to drive it long but it was enough for my family to be convinced that we want to purchase an LS500 (upgrading an LS400 actually!). We are leaning towards looking for an L/Certified 2020+ with low miles but I know these are harder to come by. I would appreciate any thoughts on waiting for the right CPO to show up or if you think purchasing a 2023 would be good. I am thinking that when the 2024's start rolling out maybe there will be discounts to be had on the 2023 models? Overall it is a great car. If my GS F were to be totaled tomorrow and I couldn't replace it I would get an LS500.
The following 2 users liked this post by hillsnow:
bigblack06 (08-26-23), PGA71 (08-23-23)
Old 08-23-23 | 01:48 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Originally Posted by hillsnow
Yesterday I got a chance to test drive a 2018 LS500. The model was pretty bare bones in terms of upgrade options but I was more just looking to get a feel for the car interior and how it drives. I daily a GS F so am pretty used to the V8 engine and what it offers. Here are my thoughts!

The engine felt more powerful than I anticipated. It was nice a smooth and the ride quality was amazing -- it felt a lot cushier/floatier than my 2017 GS F. It was very noticeable how much softer it felt both as a passenger and driver. This is what I expected given the GS F is a lot sportier and firmer, but it was just awesome to feel how comfy the LS was. This model did not have the air suspension but I imagine that would make it even softer? The steering was lighter but not too light which I liked. Harder acceleration was great and I did not feel like the turbo V6 was lacking at all. I could also feel nice changes when I switched to Sport/Sport+ drive modes with the louder engine, quicker shifts, higher revs, etc.

We didn't get to drive it long but it was enough for my family to be convinced that we want to purchase an LS500 (upgrading an LS400 actually!). We are leaning towards looking for an L/Certified 2020+ with low miles but I know these are harder to come by. I would appreciate any thoughts on waiting for the right CPO to show up or if you think purchasing a 2023 would be good. I am thinking that when the 2024's start rolling out maybe there will be discounts to be had on the 2023 models? Overall it is a great car. If my GS F were to be totaled tomorrow and I couldn't replace it I would get an LS500.
Most folks including myself that came from the GS350 family feel very similar to you which is why we upgraded to this.
I bought mine CPO mainly because my local dealer had the configuration I wanted fully loaded up.
In December there should be some great 2023 specials as usual, but keeping a lookout across the nation filtering on CPO should yield some good results monthly as there is always cars coming off lease. These have a lot of depreciation the 1st three years that can provide significant savings buying a 3 year old off lease if you can find your right configuration and color choices.
The following 2 users liked this post by PGA71:
bigblack06 (08-26-23), hillsnow (08-24-23)
Old 08-24-23 | 08:07 AM
hillsnow
Driver

@PGA71 Thanks for the feedback. I will watch the 2023 prices as we approach the end of the year and watch for a good CPO deal. Are there any features on your LS500 you think we definitely should not pass up on? I am wondering if something like the Air suspension is worth holding out for.

Last edited by hillsnow; 08-24-23 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-24-23 | 09:08 AM
PGA71
Advanced

Originally Posted by hillsnow
@PGA71 Thanks for the feedback. I will watch the 2023 prices as we approach the end of the year and watch for a good CPO deal. Are there any features on your LS500 you think we definitely should not pass up on? I am wondering if something like the Air suspension is worth holding out for.
I love the ride that the Adjustable Height Air shocks provide and usually drive and park in in the lower setting, but if you were satisfied in your test drive without it you should not prioritize this. Many on this forum purposely avoid the air shocks because of fear of higher maintanance costs down the line. I have it customized for them to automatically rise when I enter or exit the vehicle for ease. To me, the ride is excellent even with RFTs, but the tires are still pretty new and riding on the factory air suspension option I'm sure helps a lot. It's true some people have complained of the ride comfort with the run flats compared with their previous LS models, but coming from the GS I don't share the same complaint so it is definitely relative. With that said I am going to be changing out my run flats out soon.

The 28 way adjustable massage seats are a dream and such a pleasure to drive which was a key feature for me when buying. (Part of the Luxury package)
The Panoramic View Camera is essential for mitigating wheel curb rash while parking and clipping anything while pulling into or backing into a garage etc. and use it regularly as have it programmed to activate anytime driving below 6 mph.
The ML system with 2400 watts with 23 speakers makes you feel like you are rolling in a recording studio.
With LKA / LTA and Dynamic Cruise the car is literally driving itself with your hands lightly on the wheel keeping you centered in your lane.
The 24” HUD to me is an additional safety feature that helps keep your eyes on the road since everything necessary is displayed.
The cross traffic alert / pre-collision system with brake support has already saved my *** a few times so can’t say enough about it.

Here is my thread in the GS350 forum when I purchased for more info including the original window sticker.

My LS500 from Day 1

Let me know if anything is not clear and I'm sure others will have their own opinions based on their experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by PGA71:
booca12 (08-26-23), hillsnow (08-24-23)
Old 08-24-23 | 10:12 AM
hillsnow
Driver

@PGA71 Thank you for the detailed response and suggestions! That helps a lot with things we should consider being sure are included. You have an awesome car with the same exterior/interior type of coloring we like (not a fan of black exterior or interior). I hope we are as lucky as you were!
The following users liked this post:
PGA71 (08-24-23)
Old 08-25-23 | 11:10 AM
Nalod
Advanced

finally got to really drive my car on long trip. 9 hours over two days. 5 then a 4.
Felt great. MPG really improves on highway.
I too came form a GS. 2020 GS Fsport with AWD. Not that it was in anyway a hardship. Great car with great drivable dynamics.
The LS500 comfort level is quite good.
If your coming form a LS460 perhaps not. But thats not my story.
No air suspension and runflats. I have seat and wood trim package.
The following users liked this post:
hillsnow (08-25-23)
Old 08-26-23 | 07:54 AM
liazon
Advanced

i seriously considered the GS F and drove a couple in the process of deciding what was the right car for me. No doubt the engine was exciting, but the rest lacked the Lexus refinement that I was used to. It drove like a track car....which was the point of F cars to begin with.

Drove the LC and that same v8 engine felt like a Lexus...power and refinement (granted not quite as exciting due to the refinement, but the thing is so low to the ground it didn't make sense as a daily. The V8 is awesome and NA so surely it will be less maintenance than dual turbos.

Make the LS 4-6" shorter, drop 400lbs, let me feel the engine more in SS mode, and have the ability to switch gears using the shifter (like the other lexus') and you'd have the perfect sport sedan.
Of course, Nothing is perfect though.

I recommend you consider both infotainment screen styles...the first gen is not touch screen but is quite large, beautifully recessed into the dash, and all viewing area (unlike modern screens which have significant glass around the actual viewing area (a 10x10" screen may have a 7x7" viewing area).... the 2nd gen is more convenient for sure w/ touch screen but just kind of 'stuck on' there.
as usual it's the form vs function dilemma.

I considered both and chose the 1st...you get used to the controls though it definitely wouldn't appeal to an older person.
good luck with your transition. Don't settle for one w/o the options you want...
The following 5 users liked this post by liazon:
hillsnow (08-28-23), mikesd1980 (09-24-23), Nalod (08-27-23), PGA71 (08-26-23), sajack (08-27-23)