LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

HUD shows additional white areas

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 01:45 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by twin703
yea I have the same issue I don’t want to pay to replace and it comes back in a few years feel like it should be replaced for free with something better with a explanation.
Dammit, I want an apology!
Old 03-29-24, 01:48 PM
booca12
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

they should replace the replacement for free
The following users liked this post:
twin703 (03-29-24)
Old 03-29-24, 04:56 PM
rmbrewer
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hud

Originally Posted by Nalod
Dammit, I want an apology!
I am currently running the HUD at a reduced intensity and don't lower the intensity more at night. I'm not messing with it in hopes it may last longer.
Old 04-16-24, 05:03 PM
Rich707
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have had the same HUD issues as others have noted prior-- took it to my local Lexus dealer and they verified the issues.
They have ordered a replacement camera. And as others have mentioned - glad to have the CPO warranty coverage.
Had to have the steering column motor replaced prior.
Old 04-17-24, 06:20 AM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich707
Have had the same HUD issues as others have noted prior-- took it to my local Lexus dealer and they verified the issues.
They have ordered a replacement camera. And as others have mentioned - glad to have the CPO warranty coverage.
Had to have the steering column motor replaced prior.
Would you happen to be in a warmer/Humid part of CA?

This is the 4rth one reported with the degradation.

1) ​​​@rmbrewer from MS
2) @MYLEX430 from VA
3) @twin703 from VA
and now you
4) ​​​@Rich707 from CA

Perhaps there is a pattern of hotter/humid climate, mileage, etc.

Mine is still working fine. Just started 2nd year of CPO, put 20K mi on it for a total of 65K mi on the clock and keep the HUD on all the time. No issues with HUD thus far and Lexus Service records / Car Fax doesn't show it ever being replaced. CT gets warm/humid, but much milder climates than MS and VA I would imagine.
Old 04-18-24, 06:57 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine is working fine (knock on wood). 100+k miles and humid south texas climate.
The following users liked this post:
PGA71 (04-18-24)
Old 04-18-24, 07:16 AM
PGA71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
Mine is working fine (knock on wood). 100+k miles and humid south texas climate.
100K + Miles!
That is awesome!
I know these cars love to be driven a lot.
Any major issues to date?
Hope the next 100K miles are trouble free.

Thanks

Old 04-18-24, 12:17 PM
Rich707
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In N Ca (Sacramento) area - so the heat yes
Old 04-19-24, 06:08 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71
100K + Miles!
That is awesome!
I know these cars love to be driven a lot.
Any major issues to date?
Hope the next 100K miles are trouble free.

Thanks

I have had mine since 14k miles and no major issues whatsoever. I do have one of the bladders (top one) on the drivers side massage, it went out at 51k miles, just out of warranty, but is not an issue for me. Dealer quoted $1,650 to replace.
thanks for the wishes for the next 100k
Old 04-19-24, 06:31 AM
PGA71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I have had mine since 14k miles and no major issues whatsoever. I do have one of the bladders (top one) on the drivers side massage, it went out at 51k miles, just out of warranty, but is not an issue for me. Dealer quoted $1,650 to replace.
thanks for the wishes for the next 100k
Just FYI,
If you ever do decide to repair the bladder, unless they change the "seat ECU" it will tear the bladder again due to the air pressure profile set.
The following 2 users liked this post by PGA71:
dan25man (05-23-24), Fhobbs (04-20-24)
Old 05-23-24, 06:29 AM
Deezel
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me to the HUD display blobs fail list, theres two side by side top right, looks like two kidneys,or like two drops of water. Ive never seen them before, but they appeared late last night on a drive home in the dark, I noticed it's sudden appearance straight away. It looks like a fail on the proector grid if these things are an LCD projector unit. I can make it disappear if I raise the HUD position to clip the top of the screen. Car is a 2018 LS500H used purchase in February this year, lets see if the 1 year used warranty will replace it.

Old 05-23-24, 07:54 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Deezel
Add me to the HUD display blobs fail list, theres two side by side top right, looks like two kidneys,or like two drops of water. Ive never seen them before, but they appeared late last night on a drive home in the dark, I noticed it's sudden appearance straight away. It looks like a fail on the proector grid if these things are an LCD projector unit. I can make it disappear if I raise the HUD position to clip the top of the screen. Car is a 2018 LS500H used purchase in February this year, lets see if the 1 year used warranty will replace it.
Do you live in a hot climate?
Old 05-23-24, 09:22 AM
Deezel
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Higgie
Do you live in a hot climate?
No, though in Ireland with climate change we've had a few 'Irish' heatwaves, which is more than a week hotter than 21° ! It actually looks like water droplets. If this is transmission projection, light passing through an LCD screen, I wouldn't expect bright white spots, more like dark areas, but I don't know (yet) what technology is in the Hud. It could be back-lit LCD, organic LED, or even DLP. I'll search for some info, but its not that important, I've just raised the display setting to clip the top screen area.
Old 06-09-24, 03:26 PM
Deezel
4th Gear

Just a theory, but could the blobs be burn damage cause by extremly bright lamps of an oncoming vehicle, maybe while stationary at the traffic lights, reverse projected inwards to the digital display panel inside the Hud projector. (the projector then behaves like a camera). Any bright image in line visible on the car screen at the lower Hud location will project backwards through the lens and mirrors of the hud projector onto the projector's display device, LCD or DLP or whatever. On my car it looks almost like strong headlights captured as a burn image on the display device, leaving it translucent and allowing the projector backlight lamp through. It's entirely possible, I worked with cameras/projectors for over 40 years, film and digital, managing the media and audio visual service of a university faculty. My dealer is going to see if they can cover it on the used car one year warranty, a standard 3rd party policy. It's not mentioned in exclusions, so fingers crossed.
Old 06-10-24, 08:27 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Deezel
Just a theory, but could the blobs be burn damage cause by extremly bright lamps of an oncoming vehicle, maybe while stationary at the traffic lights, reverse projected inwards to the digital display panel inside the Hud projector.
unlikely, my best guess: Heat from direct sunlight. Has nothing to do with light.

Quick Reply: HUD shows additional white areas