LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS500 from GS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 12:53 PM
Drumr13
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LS500 from GS350

Long time reader of this forum (since prior to purchasing a 2016 GS350 FSprot new) but never a poster. Unfortunately, my GS was in an accident and I fear it'll be totaled. With that, would love to stay in the Lexus family and really feel the only ideal ride is an LS. Looking L Certified, 2021 or newer preferably. Have read posts hear and there but would love to hear everyone take on the LS, especially coming from a GS, which in my eyes, was a perfect blend of sport and luxury.
Old 01-23-24, 01:29 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Drumr13
Long time reader of this forum (since prior to purchasing a 2016 GS350 FSprot new) but never a poster. Unfortunately, my GS was in an accident and I fear it'll be totaled. With that, would love to stay in the Lexus family and really feel the only ideal ride is an LS. Looking L Certified, 2021 or newer preferably. Have read posts hear and there but would love to hear everyone take on the LS, especially coming from a GS, which in my eyes, was a perfect blend of sport and luxury.
Quite a few of us on here migrated from the GS350 and are quite pleased.

Here is my original post on the GS350 forum when I sold the GS.
LS500 from GS350

You will enjoy more power, upgraded features/technology, safety and much more luxury with this move.
You will lose some nimbleness and turning radius is less due to the car being larger.

I say go for it!
The following users liked this post:
Rich707 (02-02-24)
Old 01-23-24, 02:14 PM
Drumr13
Rookie

Originally Posted by PGA71
Quite a few of us on here migrated from the GS350 and are quite pleased.

Here is my original post on the GS350 forum when I sold the GS.
LS500 from GS350

You will enjoy more power, upgraded features/technology, safety and much more luxury with this move.
You will lose some nimbleness and turning radius is less due to the car being larger.

I say go for it!

thank for thr link! Bit hesitant on the run flats and on paper doesn't seem all that much larger than the GS. Will be able to tell more sitting it one etc.
Old 01-24-24, 06:41 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

Like PGA I too came from GS…. Mine was a 2020 GS350 AWD Fsport. Cost me 15k to upgrade. Best “Mod” ever!!! If you liked the 3.5, you love it twin turboed!!! LOL.
Perhaps look at my profile and my posts as I too have reviewed this as well. Im in my right at one year. I bought a 2019 with 27.5k miles on it when I got it.
PGA71 (01-24-24)
Old 01-24-24, 08:04 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Same here, had a 2008 GS, 2013 GS, 2015 GS, and 2018 GS, got a 2022 LS500 new last year a d think of it as a bigger GS, feels quick and sporty but refined. Love it!
Old 01-25-24, 07:35 AM
SpudsMcD
Pit Crew

Received 152 Likes on 68 Posts

You'll definitely need to do a thorough test drive. If you like good handling and a fun driving experience, then the LS is probably not for you. It's quick enough and definitely fast enough, but it's completely dead and not at all fun. Even my wife is bored with our 2022 LS, and she loved her Prius years ago. The run flats ruin the recipe, but even with non-fun-flat tires it is not even close to a sports sedan. You should test drive the IS500. I bought a 2023 IS500 a year ago, and I absolutely love it. It's like a Japanese muscle car, and with the rear seats folded down it swallows an impressive amount of cargo. Just my opinions of course. I respect the LS for what it is, but I'm just not into what it is.
Old 01-25-24, 07:43 AM
Drumr13
Rookie

Thanks all for the comments and links. Definitely will need to test drive one. With 2 kids still at car seat age, thoigh forward facing, that factors into the decison as well. Not looking to sit in the dash!
Old 01-25-24, 12:16 PM
Lingus
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

The difference in just the interiors between the GS and LS is huge.
Old 01-28-24, 11:51 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpudsMcD
You'll definitely need to do a thorough test drive. If you like good handling and a fun driving experience, then the LS is probably not for you. It's quick enough and definitely fast enough, but it's completely dead and not at all fun. Even my wife is bored with our 2022 LS, and she loved her Prius years ago. The run flats ruin the recipe, but even with non-fun-flat tires it is not even close to a sports sedan. You should test drive the IS500. I bought a 2023 IS500 a year ago, and I absolutely love it. It's like a Japanese muscle car, and with the rear seats folded down it swallows an impressive amount of cargo. Just my opinions of course. I respect the LS for what it is, but I'm just not into what it is.
Fair points about not being "fun". That you went with IS500 and advocate for your choice makes sense. OP either can go down to the ES or up to LS. IS500 with young family might be for sure more fun but bit cramped?

No doubt test drive. GS was really a great compromise which is more "Grand Touring". The LS is really not as much fun. I drove an IS350 fsport and liked it but given the interior was more like my 2020 GS I really was not getting much if at all an upgrade except a bit more fun. The IS500 i can imagine is wonderful! Naturally aspired growling engine on a small car with Toyota reliability has to be great. Perhaps gvien its rare nature should hold its value pretty good for a while.
Old 01-28-24, 05:42 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

It’s a cushy and quite large sedan with a very peppy engine. Plenty of fun in my book. 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds, what else do you want for everyday driving conditions.

if you have a family it would be perfect but in heavy traffic and when you’re parking, you will definitely feel the length of the car. It’s a boat
Old 01-29-24, 04:25 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Big Car

Originally Posted by liazon
It’s a cushy and quite large sedan with a very peppy engine. Plenty of fun in my book. 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds, what else do you want for everyday driving conditions.

if you have a family it would be perfect but in heavy traffic and when you’re parking, you will definitely feel the length of the car. It’s a boat
Yes, it’s a large car by today’s standards, but compare the LS500 with cars of the past and it’s not that big.
For instance, it’s 3 inches shorter than a ‘64 Impala and 25” shorter than my ‘18 F150 Supercrew short bed.
I think the styling of the LS500 also makes it look long.
It’s a svelte machine.
Still a lot smaller than the big pickups and large SUVs (Suburban) you see running around town.
Old 01-29-24, 04:28 AM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

All above are great points about the car. I went GS to LS as well. I think the interior is in the LS is a upgrade to the GS. The run flats do not help the car at all. I do wish it could be smoother over bumps in the road. When I test drive the car it was mainly highway and I feel in love with the LS. At my age of 43 and 6'4, I'll do love the car, it's sporty enough for me. Took a 5 hours road trip with my family of 4 and the car felt the same as if no one was in it.

Best of luck on your choice.
PS. Don't get an RX. They are really boring. I had a 20 and kept it for a year and a half. Good thing the pandemic came and made used car prices sky rocket.
Old 01-29-24, 06:19 AM
Nalod
Advanced

AWD puts this thick girl at 4900 lbs!
A 1976 Fleetwood caddilac is 5215lbs!!!!
My 2020 GS350 f sport AWD was 3900 lbs.
LS500 as we allknow has that 4.6 sec 0-60.
Im not sure I quite believe this or it never really feels it.
My little german 2 seater is not nearly as fast but low to the ground and seat just forward of rear wheels feels far more “Visceral”.
Or “Fun” as one might say. LS500 is not built for fun. Its built to be Niiiiiiice!!!!

OF course come on to a LS500 thread your going to get unobjective recommendations from happy owners.
Might be former owners not so happy? But thats to be expected.
At the end of the day money matters, what you do with it, and what you want vs. need.
Nobody really needs a high end luxury car and the elevated running costs that come with it.
Its self indulgence. That can be fun too!!! Good luck with your choices and let us know what you do.

Last edited by Nalod; 01-29-24 at 06:25 AM.
sajack (01-30-24)
Old 01-29-24, 06:30 AM
Drumr13
Rookie

Got a chance to take the LS out for a quick test this weekend. Fit and finish was top notch, as everyone says. Drive didn't seem harsh even with the RFs. Would have to spend a bit more time with it to really get a feel, as with driving anything new there is a bit of a learning curve.

Drove the RX too, it was a hybrid so not what I'd be interested in. Nothing like the LS or GS but was fine. In my 40s so while I do still enjoy a GS-like "connection" when driving, it's not the main focus if you know what I mean.
Old 01-31-24, 11:31 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Got a chance to take the LS out for a quick test this weekend. Fit and finish was top notch, as everyone says. Drive didn't seem harsh even with the RFs. Would have to spend a bit more time with it to really get a feel, as with driving anything new there is a bit of a learning curve.

Drove the RX too, it was a hybrid so not what I'd be interested in. Nothing like the LS or GS but was fine. In my 40s so while I do still enjoy a GS-like "connection" when driving, it's not the main focus if you know what I mean.
RX is a great vehicle that does everything really well. My friend has Hybrid and I have driven non hybrid as loaner. smooth and quiet.
GS "Grand touring" was very satisfying to drive and had a huge trunk. Made me smile.
RX, you'll logical, comfortable, and very competent.
Few years ago I looked at an RX F-sport. They really look the part. Just did not make me smile.
LS500 makes me smile for many reasons.
If I had two kids and needed the utility I'd go with the RX. "Makes sense" if you are hell bent on staying with Lexus. If married, what does the wife drive?

Quick Reply: LS500 from GS350