LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Malfunctioning lane change assist

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-24, 08:59 AM
Drwho32
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Malfunctioning lane change assist

My 2021 LS500 has a lane change assist. Since I purchased the car which now has 45,000kms this has worked maybe 25% of the time. I have complained multiple times to my Lexus dealer with no result. First time they claimed that no Lexus model had that feature (probably should have changed dealership right then and there) but after I showed them the operating handbook they suddenly became aware! After that, they claim that on a road test the function worked perfectly (i.e. I was the problem not the car). Well it still only works about 25% of the time. Not a critical issue I know but when you spend this type of money for this level of quality you kind of expect that all the functions will work. Anybody else have this problem?
Old 06-11-24, 10:18 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Dirt on the camera's under the side mirrors? Fog on the inside of your windscreen where the two cameras are? I had this last winter / fall.
Old 06-11-24, 10:23 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

I find it works different on different roads and conditions.
I have a 2019 and it might be a different system. When you say it only works 25% of the time, you saying it does not function or is just not stable?
Personally I have not figured out the real need for the system other than texting and preventing drifting when distracted. In other words, Im a bit clueless to why it exists as it does.
You might have described the issue as more "autonomous" in feature which is why they might have not been too keen to understand the problem.
Given your last few posts changing dealers as you mentioned might be a mutually beneficial move.
Old 06-11-24, 01:11 PM
Drwho32
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Higgie
Dirt on the camera's under the side mirrors? Fog on the inside of your windscreen where the two cameras are? I had this last winter / fall.
thanks for the replies. Nothing that simple I’m afraid. On the same highway, with a clean car, dry sunny conditions, good highway markings, sometimes it works, sometimes it won’t even engage and sometimes it disengages during the lane change….all on the same road within minutes of each other. So dirt,fog, etc are not the issue. It is just totally unreliable and the dealership insists it is working perfectly. So yes to your point, it is not a critical system but why put it on the car if you don’t build a reliable system. I agree my beefs are minor but when you spend this kind of money for the flagship model (a) you expect it to work reliably and (b) you expect Lexus to be able to fix it if it doesn’t work.
The following users liked this post:
Fhobbs (06-12-24)
Old 06-12-24, 11:43 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

All of these ADAS systems require some sort of factory calibration to work. It's possible that through transport, or mileage your sensors have shifted ever so slightly and need to be re-calibrated to work functionally. You should switch dealers, and have the tech/service agent sit with you on a longer drive to show them the issue. I'd imagine if your car is under warrantee than they'll re-calibrate or replace the sensors, if that don't work. They will probably have to engage a higher, remote Lexus engineer, to truly troubleshoot it.

I imagine you are one of a few with the ADAS package, and then probably fewer still who use it regularly enough to be annoyed. I'd almost bet that no Lexus dealer is going to have experience with your issue. The build numbers of these cars are just so low.
Old 06-12-24, 12:03 PM
Drwho32
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dan25man
All of these ADAS systems require some sort of factory calibration to work. It's possible that through transport, or mileage your sensors have shifted ever so slightly and need to be re-calibrated to work functionally. You should switch dealers, and have the tech/service agent sit with you on a longer drive to show them the issue. I'd imagine if your car is under warrantee than they'll re-calibrate or replace the sensors, if that don't work. They will probably have to engage a higher, remote Lexus engineer, to truly troubleshoot it.

I imagine you are one of a few with the ADAS package, and then probably fewer still who use it regularly enough to be annoyed. I'd almost bet that no Lexus dealer is going to have experience with your issue. The build numbers of these cars are just so low.
Good, useful informed response. Thank you, I will consider trying a different dealer. You make a great point, so few of these models around that the dealers have very limited experience in servicing them.