LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Performance chip upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-24, 09:52 PM
scottyhastings50
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance chip upgrade

Is it beneficial or worth investing in some sort of performance chip or software upgrade for the vehicle?
Old 06-22-24, 05:21 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 318 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyhastings50
Is it beneficial or worth investing in some sort of performance chip or software upgrade for the vehicle?
I have not seen much of this on these pages. What have you seen out there that is available?
Given its a low production model there seems to not be a high demand for it? Few companies would see a good return on investment given the numbers of cars out there and the demand to "dial things up".
The notion of Modding a large heavy vehicle to be more performance oriented defies its luxury purpose to some extent. By that, lower suspension, bigger wheels, etc, degrades luxury to add performance. Might be best to just get a car that performs to that goal then modify? your money.
This car is fast. for some the issue is can't feel the speed. Our little German convertible, our two seater with MT sits inches from the ground and is on paper a good 1.5 sec 0-60 slower but with rear wheel drive right behind the seat the car is a great deal of fun to drive. You feel the road and the speed.
To have sport like performance and Luxury to seat for and a trunk? The unicorn of cars!!! A limo version of the LC500! LOL

Personally, I understand more is better but I won't engage this type of mod as it creates "issues and complexity" regarding warranty on the 7 yr 70k drivetrain and other things I don' have time for. When I went from a 2020 GS350 F-sport AWD to my LS500 it was a mod of sorts. Cost me 15k. The LS500 is faster, bigger, more lux, and more room. Thats just me and mine.

Please share with the group your findings and what you decide. Im sure you can unleash more power and remap the 10 speed transmission to do more.
Old 06-22-24, 05:46 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

This is the only product I've found for the LS500 (https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-for-lexus-ls500) I don't think anyone on this forum has gone through the process of actually installing it and doing before/after dyno's to confirm the claimed performance.

I don't own one of these cars yet (still on a 2014 LS460), but when I do I think my opinion is that Lexus/Toyota generally leaves a lot of engineering safety factor in their engine tunes, as well as tuning for emissions. So if you install a system all you are doing is allowing the engine to be close to the performance envelope a BMW or Mercedes would have developed, and or a world where governments has less costs associated with high emissions. So you as the end user (owner of the vehicle) can choose what "mode" you want the engine to be in.

I'd still drive it like an old-man luxo-barge. I just want the control. But to each their own.
Old 06-22-24, 08:38 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Dan,

The Berger looks interesting. 75hp is a nice gain.
The following users liked this post:
dan25man (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 04:33 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm waiting for someone on the 5th gen LS thread to actually go thru an install with a shop and validate burger's claims. I don't think anyone is drag racing their LS500, but any extra HP certainly makes it a more compelling buy/ownership experience.
Old 06-24-24, 05:02 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Originally Posted by dan25man
I'm waiting for someone on the 5th gen LS thread to actually go thru an install with a shop and validate burger's claims. I don't think anyone is drag racing their LS500, but any extra HP certainly makes it a more compelling buy/ownership experience.
The Facebook crowd might be more prone to doing it. We have a very small crowd here and not many interested in modding much.

Lexus claims 0-60 in 4.6 sec which for a porky beast that is the LS500 its pretty darn fast. I don't find myself finding the limits of adhesion regarding handling and cornering ability. I don't want it to ride on rails if I. have to feel more bumps. Im still on runflats.

Just because Im happy does not mean others need be. When I see cars lowered with 22's im not feeling they are being done other than making the car visually more appealing and earning attention. Personal style and self expression are important to some owners which I understand.
Old 06-24-24, 01:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,639 Posts

With the way the twin turbo V6 fiasco is currently going on @ Toyota/Lexus, I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize warranty.

Those piggy backs are known to raise EGTs i.e., affect cats.

The ECU can also detect them too and flag the dealer when the ECU is read. used to happen to the BMW guys all the time.

Fun fact about burger, they took off around 2007 with the bmw crowd. my buddy's car was the original test bed for the prototype. i was there inside the home garage when the device was being invented/tested.

The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
dan25man (06-26-24), PGA71 (06-24-24)