LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

2020 LS500h L-Certified

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-24, 08:20 AM
Bigoofy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 LS500h L-Certified

Hi Folks. New owner here of a 2020 LS500h with a very low 12k miles from a dealership just outside of Boston. During the purchase process, I specifically asked the sales guy to ensure that the NAV system was updated. Unfortunately he didn't respond until after I wired the money to the Business Manager. The sales guy responded later that I'd need to cough up an additional $700 for the update, which I refused. I've got the car home now (out of state purchase), and it doesn't look like the head unit has been updated to work with Android Auto. This sales guy isn't the best in terms of responsiveness. Any tips and getting what I need here, which is a NAV system with fresh offline maps and a head unit that will project my Samsung S21?
Old 07-12-24, 04:27 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
Default IPhone

Seems like the simplest thing to do is switch to an iPhone and Apple CarPlay.
Yeah, I know, you are probably dead-set against Apple products. That’s your preogative.
Old 07-12-24, 04:40 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

unfortunately the updated needed to be in writing on the receipt as something owed.
I cannot offer any android advice as I use Apple car play thru a wireless device. good as it might be I don't use the Lexus NAV using instead WAZE thru CarPlay.
Was not aware Android software needed to be installed.
I don't use any subscription services either. For that matter I have no issues with any of the interfaces or software as some reviewers of the car has insinuated. Perhaps one less step in massage setting would be my only gripe.
Not sure any of this helps.
The following users liked this post:
sajack (07-12-24)
Old 07-12-24, 05:11 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I've used Gromaudio on both my LS430 and LS460, they're as close to 100% stock as anything I've seen. Yes the price is higher than the cheapo knock offs but they've always been responsive with my customer questions/support and they regularly update the software. Can't ask for more with a small aftermarket car electronics company. Looks like the make a kit for the LS500 so that'll get you Android Auto. But I'd get a nice stereo shop to do the install. (https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/se...n-upgrade.html)

Edit: I've lost faith in dealers (even Lexus) to do anything right with infotainment software. I can't imagine all these new cars software ever gets updated at the dealer, god forbid when they are all EV's with screens galore!
The following users liked this post:
gromaudio (07-12-24)
Old 07-12-24, 08:35 AM
Bigoofy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dan25man
I've used Gromaudio on both my LS430 and LS460, they're as close to 100% stock as anything I've seen. Yes the price is higher than the cheapo knock offs but they've always been responsive with my customer questions/support and they regularly update the software. Can't ask for more with a small aftermarket car electronics company. Looks like the make a kit for the LS500 so that'll get you Android Auto. But I'd get a nice stereo shop to do the install. (https://gromaudio.com/store/vlite/se...n-upgrade.html)

Edit: I've lost faith in dealers (even Lexus) to do anything right with infotainment software. I can't imagine all these new cars software ever gets updated at the dealer, god forbid when they are all EV's with screens galore!
Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 07-12-24, 08:35 AM
Bigoofy
3rd Gear

I'd have to buy a new phone, which is not an option.
Old 07-12-24, 12:59 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 302 Likes on 187 Posts

https://www.ottocast.com/collections/all

Not sure why this or a Grom Audio box would not do the trick for you?
I use ottocast U2-X pro and its great. It works for Android.
Is there an "android app like Carplay that need be installed for the LS500?
If so whats the cost for it?
Mine came with Carplay on the 2019. The ottocast i great.

Via Ottocast: "ocast CarPlay AI Box series is known for its unique feature of having an in-built Android system. With this device, users can download any app they desire, even games, and enjoy them on their car screen. Ottocast CarPlay AI Box series stands out from other brands in terms of system performance, memory, processor, connection stability, and smooth user experience. The advanced connectivity technologies are optimized for both Android and iOS devices, providing stable and fast performance. Additionally, the powerful and efficient processor ensures a responsive and seamless user experience."

Im not affiliated with Ottocast. in anyway other than owning one. I don't have nor desire video playback capacity. Wife likes to read or talk on road trips or we do podcasts. I'd say if there was an accident and phone was streaming video liability would be an issue???
The one I have has none of this capicty and indicates android abilty.

Last edited by Nalod; 07-12-24 at 01:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nalod:
dan25man (07-14-24), Rich707 (07-13-24)