LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

First Thread LS500

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 10:35 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Good buddy-Roger that!! I'll do my best to capture all that I can and report back with photos!
Thanks, CRowe. And while you are at it, please get close ups of the dash and HUD set up, and the frameless windows, especially the rear quarter window.
Old 02-11-17, 12:51 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

So, I'm currently at the largest Car Show in N.A. in Chicago.
Here is my update:
The LS is on a rotating podium and off limits to the public! Very disappointed about that, but I had rep take a few photos which I'll post a bit later.
Secondly, the big surprise for me this far, is the G90 and the Volvo fleet.
I really wish I could have actually gotten personal with the LS, but from what I could see, there isn't a sedan here that's even close to what Lexus has done on the interior. With that said though, I'm not saying the G90 is a close second, but it's a very, very nice sedan.
More later!
Old 02-11-17, 12:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

We need pics!
Old 02-11-17, 01:48 PM
Nospinzone

Received 419 Likes on 323 Posts

Well at least you got to see it in the flesh. When I went to the Boston Auto Show last month the car wasn't there. Very disappointing.
Old 02-11-17, 02:53 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Here is my update:
The LS is on a rotating podium and off limits to the public! Very disappointed about that, but I had rep take a few photos which I'll post a bit later.
Before you leave the show, crash the LS500 podium . Show them what a loyalist you are, who will do anything to get up close and personal with the car!! Maybe they will let you take a closer look just before closing time.
Old 02-12-17, 03:58 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Here is my update:
Secondly, the big surprise for me this far, is the G90 and the Volvo fleet.
I really wish I could have actually gotten personal with the LS, but from what I could see, there isn't a sedan here that's even close to what Lexus has done on the interior. With that said though, I'm not saying the G90 is a close second, but it's a very, very nice sedan.
More later!
Gotta give the G90 absolute props. And since Geely purchased Volvo, the difference has been nothing short of astonishing. I will never completely understand why Ford's PAG (Premier Auto Group) was so troubled as they lost billions.

That said, Volvo using boosted 4 cylinder's across the lineup is brave. While I have only driven one modern Volvo, it was quite nice once you turned off the start-stop function as it was like a 1982 MB 240D otherwise at red lights.
Old 02-12-17, 09:48 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by comotiger
Thanks, CRowe. And while you are at it, please get close ups of the dash and HUD set up, and the frameless windows, especially the rear quarter window.
I tried, at least, I got the rep to snap a few photos, but the resolution isn't all that great due to the contrast of the HUD showing on the windshield and my phone being horrible! I touch on this a bit below. Also, I did ask about the screen on the passenger side and he told me that it just displays a default image (in the photo below).

Originally Posted by SW15LS
We need pics!
I did the best I could Steve!

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Well at least you got to see it in the flesh. When I went to the Boston Auto Show last month the car wasn't there. Very disappointing.
Yeah, I guess they are being pretty selective as to where they bring the LS, as I was told there are only two available right now.

Before you leave the show, crash the LS500 podium . Show them what a loyalist you are, who will do anything to get up close and personal with the car!! Maybe they will let you take a closer look just before closing time.
You know what, I wondered if someone happened to be there at the "right time", if you'd be allowed to get on the podium. I was really tempted to though.
I found it funny though, that many were in awe of the new LS. While listening to other on-lookers, I heard things like..."Is this a Lexus??", "Look how LONG and stretched this thing is...and what is an LS?? Must be their NEW line!!", and the best one..."Oh, the LS is old. Not sure why its on the podium, this has been out for nearly 2 years already".

​​​​​​So, before I begin, I ask for your pardon regarding the quality of the photos. I have an older phone so a few aren't so vivid/sharp.
I didn't want to take a bunch of photos that have already been taken via press release (which is difficult), but wanted to get a few photos just to share and have them personally.
One of the photos doesn't capture it because I was so far away from where I could see, but it appeared as though the rear view mirror was playing some sort of video within it. Looked very cool.
I also had the rep take a photo of the HUD, however due to the contrast of ot being cast on the windshield its very difficult to see via photo. Of I was able to take it myself, I probably could have done a better job as the rep wasn't exactly trying to play the role of a Lexus rep and a photographer! I appreciate his efforts and thanked him none the less.
In a few of the photos you'll see that this LS has the RSE. Screens are large and were off! I just think it would have been nice to not only get close to the car, but to have everything on.
I guess I get it. But when you have Maseratti two areas over with every single model available to sit in (two young ladies monitoring traffic flow of course), it does make the eye browser raise a bit.
I did ask the Lexus rep if at any time would the LS be accessible and down off of the platform and he said no, as they only have 2 models floating around at the moment and they are, for all intents and purposes, "babying" the vehicles.
So, enough of me babbling..here are the few photos I managed to grab.
Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails First Thread LS500-imag2497.jpg   First Thread LS500-imag2498.jpg   First Thread LS500-imag2499.jpg   First Thread LS500-imag2500.jpg   First Thread LS500-imag2501.jpg  

First Thread LS500-imag2503.jpg   First Thread LS500-imag2504.jpg   First Thread LS500-imag2505.jpg   First Thread LS500-imag2522.jpg   First Thread LS500-imag2524.jpg  

First Thread LS500-imag2525.jpg  

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-12-17 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gbp (02-16-17)
Old 02-12-17, 10:04 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Gotta give the G90 absolute props. And since Geely purchased Volvo, the difference has been nothing short of astonishing. I will never completely understand why Ford's PAG (Premier Auto Group) was so troubled as they lost billions.

That said, Volvo using boosted 4 cylinder's across the lineup is brave. While I have only driven one modern Volvo, it was quite nice once you turned off the start-stop function as it was like a 1982 MB 240D otherwise at red lights.
After seeing the G90 up close and spending 25 minutes with it, I have to say that I often foumdtself thinking about all of the things Steve said regarding his observations about the G90. Now, while not as visually captivating as it's competitors (but still not hard on the eyes either), once you approach the car and get close to it, it is absolutely CLEAR that Hyundai did their homework and took their time with this car. When I reached for the handle and pulled the door to open it, I immediately noticed the weight value. From there, sitting in it, touching everything, the feel of the seats, how ***** feel when pushed/rotated, how doors eject and close, the soft-close doors..I mean, it's first class all the way! I'd absolutely love to drive one.

Regarding Volvo, I loved how they looked in photos but have never driven nor gotten close to one.
I'll simply say I'm a believer now!
I plan on creating a thread in Car Chat forum to go into a bit more detail there, but indeed Genesis and Volvo were pleasant surprises for me.
Lastly, I wasn't aware Volvo had the stop/start function. Great thing that you can deactivate it though.
Old 02-12-17, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think your pics look great! On my phone now but will check them when I get to the computer.

And obviously I agree on the G90, it doesn't have the panache of other flagships including the new LS, but is a stunning value.
Old 02-12-17, 05:35 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

I tried, at least, I got the rep to snap a few photos, but the resolution isn't all that great due to the contrast of the HUD showing on the windshield and my phone being horrible! I touch on this a bit below. Also, I did ask about the screen on the passenger side and he told me that it just displays a default image (in the photo below).

One of the photos doesn't capture it because I was so far away from where I could see, but it appeared as though the rear view mirror was playing some sort of video within it. Looked very cool.

In a few of the photos you'll see that this LS has the RSE. Screens are large and were off! I just think it would have been nice to not only get close to the car, but to have everything on. So, enough of me babbling..here are the few photos I managed to grab. Enjoy!
Hi CRowe, thank you very much for posting these great pics. There's nothing you can do about the quality and contrast given the harsh lighting at these events. I comment below on the highlighted points you made.

1) It would be awesome if that passenger screen is a display after all, because someone will then figure out a mod to make it display images and more. I still suspect it is some kind of ambient lighting surface and not a true LCD display.

2) I read somewhere that the LS rear view mirror is a lot like that on the CT6, and displays the rear camera image. Maybe it can do more.

3) Finally, an OEM rear entertainment system for both seats. I saw some icons on the screen in one of your pics. I imagine it will be a luxury option, along with reclining rear seats etc.

You may have noticed the odd placement for the "Hold" button. It is not on the steering wheel but below the volume/power dial for the radio. Seems like a reach to turn it on as needed. I don't use "Hold" but it would be interesting what people who use it think of this location.

Last edited by comotiger; 02-12-17 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-13-17, 10:03 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think your pics look great! On my phone now but will check them when I get to the computer.

And obviously I agree on the G90, it doesn't have the panache of other flagships including the new LS, but is a stunning value.
Thanks Steve. And regarding the G90, I couldn't agree more. You've driven one and had the entire experience. Im looking to do that soon. But sitting in one and actually dealing with it in the flesh, theres no question that it was built with quality in mind.

Hi CRowe, thank you very much for posting these great pics. There's nothing you can do about the quality and contrast given the harsh lighting at these events. I comment below on the highlighted points you made.

Very welcome my friend, glad you enjoyed the photos!

1) It would be awesome if that passenger screen is a display after all, because someone will then figure out a mod to make it display images and more. I still suspect it is some kind of ambient lighting surface and not a true LCD display.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. I figure if its capable of displaying any sort of image, then it wont be too long until someone figures out how to enable it to display other things, perhaps even video. Also, your suspicions could very well be correct. Really wish I could have sat in it. Up close, this car is absolutely gorgeous!

2) I read somewhere that the LS rear view mirror is a lot like that on the CT6, and displays the rear camera image. Maybe it can do more.

Really, I hadn't even read that. One thing is for sure though, there was some sort of video playing on the RVM, if I would have thought about it, I should have asked. I was with my wife and daughter and was trying to be mindful of not staying with one car for too long! Always questions after you've stepped away from the vehicle.

3) Finally, an OEM rear entertainment system for both seats. I saw some icons on the screen in one of your pics. I imagine it will be a luxury option, along with reclining rear seats etc.

Im so silly, please forgive me. Im the one who took the photos and didn't even realize that the RES were actually on! Its just that when I took the photo, they looked as if they were off. Failure in observation on my part.
Agreed once again, that this had to have been a Luxury or perhaps even an Executive package.

You may have noticed the odd placement for the "Hold" button. It is not on the steering wheel but below the volume/power dial for the radio. Seems like a reach to turn it on as needed. I don't use "Hold" but it would be interesting what people who use it think of this location.
I didn't actually, not until you made mention of it. I don't use it either, but agree with your observation and inquiry.
Glad you enjoyed the photos!

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-13-17 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-13-17, 12:21 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

These are some interesting *****. Never seen this type of placement in a car before and I find it a little strange looking. The back seat with those screens reminds me of the new S600 Maybach.

Thanks very much for taking all these photos. You are lucky that you were able to get up so close!

​​​​​​​
Attached Thumbnails First Thread LS500-imag2524.jpg  
Old 02-13-17, 12:32 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Someone aptly called them the Frankenstein ***** . They are ugly alright, but maybe it will grow on us. It carries over from the LC500. The right side dial changes the drive settings (Eco/Comfort/Sport, etc.). The left side dial is for traction control settings.
Old 02-13-17, 01:08 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LS430FL
These are some interesting *****. Never seen this type of placement in a car before and I find it a little strange looking. The back seat with those screens reminds me of the new S600 Maybach. Thanks very much for taking all these photos. You are lucky that you were able to get up so close!

You are very welcome! Glad I could post a few photos for all of us enthusiast. The vehicle is truly beautiful. I feel like a broken record, but for someone (myself) who wasn't a big fan initially, seeing it in person really changed my mind. Still not a huge fan of the dash area, but everything else is pretty amazing.

QUOTE=comotiger;9769682]Someone aptly called them the Frankenstein ***** . They are ugly alright, but maybe it will grow on us. It carries over from the LC500. The right side dial changes the drive settings (Eco/Comfort/Sport, etc.). The left side dial is for traction control settings.
laughed out loud on that one! Im not a fan of the **** placement either, but as you said, perhaps it'll grow on us as well as non-Lexus loyalist. I personally thing that once you see it up close and God forbid be lucky enough to sit in one (lol), the overall experience and how the car "absorbs you" could possibly make all other nuances forgettable. Maybe...

Lastly, I created a thread over in the Car Chat area of the forum a few moments ago and posted a few photos of some other beautiful cars. I may have to make another trip before it concludes to just to take the vehicles in at a slower pace.

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-13-17 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-13-17, 04:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The **** placement comes from the LFA, FYI:

Quick Reply: First Thread LS500