LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Who is buying the new LS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18 | 11:37 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by franklexus
I was also interested in the Genesis, mainly due to its reportedly quiet interior, but never got round to testing one. How does its cabin noise compare with the LS?
It's a fairly quiet cabin, but it didn't seem quite as quiet as my LS. The first thing I noticed when I started the car was the extent to which I could hear the engine. It did a good job of damping the road noise while moving, but when stopped, it seemed like you could hear more of the outside world. Perhaps the windows aren't the laminated, sound-damping type. After getting a feel for the overall quietness, I drove for a while with the sound system on to get a feel for that. Not even close to the Mark Levinson in the LS, which was to be expected as I've never heard any other system in a mass-produced vehicle that can touch it.

Overall, it was a very quiet ride, perhaps just a touch less so than the LS. In my opinion, though, the real issue is that this car doesn't belong in the Ultra-Luxury class of vehicles (S-Class/LS/7 Series/A8/XJ). It belongs a notch below with the Caddy/Lincoln/Acura/Infinity offerings. From the lighter gage steel used in the body panels (hello door dings), to the lesser-quality "wood" trim in the interior, everything about it just felt a little less than the LS. If you're moving up from a Honda Accord or Ford Fusion, the G90 will definitely make you happy. But moving from an LS to a G90 is definitely a downgrade, albeit not a large one.
The following 2 users liked this post by dsc07:
corpnupe85 (07-07-18), franklexus (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18 | 02:14 PM
franklexus
Driver

Originally Posted by dsc07
It's a fairly quiet cabin, but it didn't seem quite as quiet as my LS. The first thing I noticed when I started the car was the extent to which I could hear the engine. It did a good job of damping the road noise while moving, but when stopped, it seemed like you could hear more of the outside world. Perhaps the windows aren't the laminated, sound-damping type. After getting a feel for the overall quietness, I drove for a while with the sound system on to get a feel for that. Not even close to the Mark Levinson in the LS, which was to be expected as I've never heard any other system in a mass-produced vehicle that can touch it.

Overall, it was a very quiet ride, perhaps just a touch less so than the LS. In my opinion, though, the real issue is that this car doesn't belong in the Ultra-Luxury class of vehicles (S-Class/LS/7 Series/A8/XJ). It belongs a notch below with the Caddy/Lincoln/Acura/Infinity offerings. From the lighter gage steel used in the body panels (hello door dings), to the lesser-quality "wood" trim in the interior, everything about it just felt a little less than the LS. If you're moving up from a Honda Accord or Ford Fusion, the G90 will definitely make you happy. But moving from an LS to a G90 is definitely a downgrade, albeit not a large one.
Thanks for the detailed write-up! Think I made the right choice going for the LS over the G90...
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (07-07-18)
Old 03-04-18 | 03:09 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by franklexus
Thanks for the detailed write-up! Think I made the right choice going for the LS over the G90...
I hope we're both right on that one. I should have the answer in 3-4 weeks.
corpnupe85 (07-07-18)
Old 03-04-18 | 04:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just can not disagree more about the G90. I found it the equal to an LS in every way other than "style" and "prestige". IMHO the interior materials used are considerably better than whats in the LS, even mores withn a pre 2013 LS.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-04-18 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-04-18 | 04:54 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I've had a couple of chances to drive the G90 now, and it is a legit contender in the class. I just can't past the looks. That front end is struggling.
corpnupe85 (07-07-18)
Old 03-04-18 | 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I don't love the front end either.
corpnupe85 (07-07-18)
Old 03-04-18 | 06:54 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just can not disagree more about the G90. I found it the equal to an LS in every way other than "style" and "prestige". IMHO the interior materials used are considerably better than whats in the LS, even mores withn a pre 2013 LS.
Wow! Not sure what you were looking at. The G90 I drove was clearly inferior to my 2010 LS in just about every area except the gadgets, but to each his own. I suppose if we all agreed on everything, there would only be 1 or 2 makes to choose from.
Old 03-04-18 | 09:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wow! Not sure what you were looking at. The G90 I drove was clearly inferior to my 2010 LS in just about every area except the gadgets, but to each his own. I suppose if we all agreed on everything, there would only be 1 or 2 makes to choose from.
I truly don’t see that at all. Much higher quality leather, leather dash and door panels, better quality wood, better seats with more adjustments, real metal buttons, a step above IMHO.
Old 03-04-18 | 10:23 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I truly don’t see that at all. Much higher quality leather, leather dash and door panels, better quality wood, better seats with more adjustments, real metal buttons, a step above IMHO.
OK, I get it now. You're pulling my leg. Real metal buttons, Gracie? The 2018 G90 5.0 I drove had all plastic buttons. Better quality wood? Now I know you're joking. The wood in the car I drove didn't even look like wood. More like a plastic simulated wood. It was polished, but it had a dull look about it, compared to the rich looking Walnut in my 2010 LS 460, that is. (I'm not crazy at all about the Art Wood Organic that Lexus is forcing me to get on the 500 with the interior upgrade. Why can't I get the standard walnut?) The leather seemed fine to me, but certainly wasn't "much higher quality" than the leather in an LS. I wouldn't say either seat is significantly better than the other, it's just that the G90 stuck with sedan-style seats, which are roomier, while Lexus went with sport-style seats in the 500. Personally, I prefer the sedan-style seat over the sport-seat, but more adjustments??? The G90 has a 22-way drivers seat, the LS500 has a 28-way.

Good one, though. You had me going for a while.
corpnupe85 (07-07-18)
Old 03-05-18 | 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just do not agree with you at all.

Now im not comparing the LS500, the 500 has upgraded interior materials and build over the 460 and I agree it’s nicer overall than the G90 material wise. I absolutely do not agree compared to a 460 though, not even compared to my new 460L with all the interior material upgrades, and certainly not a 2010. IMHO the G90 has some of the deepest, nicest wood I’ve seen for instance.

Even the 500 though in places, synthetic leather on the door panels, dash and console, all those areas are real Napa leather in the G90.

I think you’re letting your own brand conceptions get in the way of your perceptions here. Like you said, all the reviewers basically disagree with you too.
Old 03-05-18 | 11:16 AM
riknchar
Instructor

I tend to agree more with Steve (SW17LS) on this issue. I went from a 2008 LS600hL to a 2017 G90 V6TT, and now back to a 2010 Lexus LS460L. I only owned the G90 for 6 months, but I do agree that the interior materials quality (Nappa leather, polished wood, switches, etc.) were generally higher quality (in my opinion) than that of the LS460. Of course, the modern safety features of the G90 blew the LS460 out of the water also. I do prefer the Lexus V8 quite a bit to the Genesis V6TT, and I just generally feel more comfortable owning/driving the LS460L over the G90, which is why I jumped back into a used LS460L. However, I do think the G90 is a pretty amazing luxury car, and definitely a contender in the class.
Old 03-05-18 | 06:16 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

I was a die-hard Lexus LS fan for many years. (We had 4 of them and loved them all) About a year ago I needed to get another luxury car and at that time the LS460 was very outdated and the G90 V6 I test drove was disappointing. So I paid a little more (OK a lot more) and got a very well optioned Mercedes S550. There is simply nothing to compare. After test driving the new LS500 IMHO its terrible (for so many reasons) that I crossed it off my list. I also just test drove the G90 with the 5.0 Liter V8 and was not impressed either. The LS500 was supposed to be a world class luxury car that could compete with the MBZ S550. Its not even in the same class. A luxury car of this level must do more than check all the critical boxes. It needs to have presence, look lime a million bucks and make you feel special when you're driving it. Furthermore, everything about a luxury car should be effortless and be done with a hush (Without shock and awe). I'm sure the reliability of the LS will be great and so will their workmanship. But that's simply not enough anymore for a world class flagship luxury car. I'm sorry, but I'm very disappointed with the new LS. (I do love my 2017 LX and hope that when the LX gets refreshed they improve it on the one hand but stay true to what it is on the other)
Old 03-05-18 | 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The S550 is the class leader no doubt, but it’s a lot more money than the LS.

Im really happy with my new LS460L
Old 03-05-18 | 09:03 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

I haven't posted here in a while because I've sold my 2007 LS a few years back. I've purchased mine brand new, kept it for 9 years. Great car.

This new one? Not even close to enticing me to look at Lexus again. Small V6, ugly front, strange side proportions and boring rear end. Interior is OK but it's not what's expected from the brand and model.

With Lexus out, the options boil down to S-Class, 7 series and *maybe* Audi (not a big fan).

Nothing is smoother than a V-12 S-Class - AMG or not, Coupe or Sedan. V6??? Thanks, but no thanks. Lexus dropped the ball this time.
Old 03-06-18 | 05:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Everybody else has a standard 6 cyl also....

Quick Reply: Who is buying the new LS?