LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Who is buying the new LS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 01:05 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Who is buying the new LS?

I thought we would have for sure seen a member here on CL purchase the new LS by now. Maybe it has happened and they haven't shown it off, but members here seem to be the earliest adopters of a new model, so I'm surprised we haven't seen one yet. I get that not all dealers have the new LS and many early ones are probably accounted for, but who is it that's buying them? You would think it would be a Lexus enthusiast!
Old 03-02-18, 03:25 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I test drove the LS500h and changed my mind sadly
a 4 speed CVT what are they thinking My ES300h is smoother to accelerate
I would rather see just smooth driving not the loud V6 and 3 gear changes just to speed up

2016 ES300h
2015 NX300h
Old 03-03-18, 09:38 AM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

You don't see them on the road because they are so disappointing! Out of all the reviews i've read so far from members, maybe one liked it. everyone else pretty much said no thank you. I purchased a 2017 S550 about a year ago since I was tired of waiting for the new LS. (I had 4 of them). I'm glad I didn't wait. My wife was considering one too. (she's been driving Lexus vehicles for many years now) and after test driving it she is now looking at other brands. It should have been a "WOW" car when it came out, especially since it took them so long to replace the LS460. But its not. Lexus makes great cars, but on this one I think they clearly missed the mark. (my two cents)
The following users liked this post:
jzqj55 (03-07-18)
Old 03-03-18, 10:51 AM
mattytubs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove one, and I can why critics have basically universally panned it. Such a terribly designed car, they completely missed the mark in so many areas. I'm now looking at the 7 series, while friends in a similar position who are driving LS 460s are also exploring other options.

My first suggestion to Lexus is to get rid of the new engine, and bring back the older, smoother V8. It's just embarrassing how awful this engine and powertrain are. I was talking to a friend who heads up a Lexus dealership near me, and he was saying they've sold one pre-sale LS 500, but nothing since. Lexus will be lucky to sell 1,000 units this year in North America. Compare that to the 35,000 units in the first year when the LS 460 debuted, and you can see that Lexus has a potentially brand-ruining problem on their hand.

IMO this will be a one year blunder for Lexus, with a complete new redesign for 2019, with a redesigned new engine and powertrain, if they want to salvage the LS brand. If anyone is considering getting the LS, I would wait for this redesign.
Old 03-03-18, 04:39 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 257 Likes on 186 Posts

One year redesign? I would say that is crazy, but it happened a few year ago with the Honda Civic.
Old 03-03-18, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

You don't see them on the road because they've only been on sale for 2 weeks lol. Give it time, you'll se them.
highrev6 (03-14-18)
Old 03-03-18, 06:22 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 257 Likes on 186 Posts

Yeah, it's only been a couple of weeks. I am surprised though that nobody here has posted about buying one yet.
Old 03-03-18, 06:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah that is a little surprising I agree...
Old 03-03-18, 06:40 PM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I just bought one. Traded in my 2014 Lexus LS 460 for it. First impressions are that the cabin is quieter than my outgoing LS (much less wind noise and road noise) but the engine note is disappointing. It sounds rough to me and for some reason, the car feels not as powerful compared to the LS 460. I think that could be due to turbo-lag.
The following 2 users liked this post by franklexus:
peteharvey (03-04-18), signdetres (03-04-18)
Old 03-03-18, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats! Post some pictures!
Old 03-03-18, 07:58 PM
franklexus
Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Congrats! Post some pictures!
Thank you I'll try to post some photos soon!
Old 03-03-18, 11:25 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine is on order and supposed to arrive around March 19. Eminent White Pearl w/Parchment, interior upgrade package, AVS, Mark Levinson.

I test drove both the LS F-Sport, and the standard model, and I honestly felt they both handled much better than my 460L. Also, I never noticed any signs of the engine straining or feeling rough at any point. Both cars shifted better than my 460 as well, although I say that with a grain of salt because I may have become conditioned to the way my 460 shifts after 260,000 miles.

Honestly, I am underwhelmed with the 500. Specifically, the much less roomy interior, to the extent of feeling cramped (I'm 6'7"), and the hideous spindle grill almost pushed me away. I seriously question if Lexus has completely missed the mark with this car. They've basically turned their flagship luxury sedan into a sports car. It remains to be seen if it will attract the younger buyers that Lexus is targeting - I question if they even have the money for that price point - but it will most certainly turn away a lot of current and previous LS owners. I'm afraid Lexus is having a serious identity crisis, and in so doing, they have completely forgotten the very customer base that made them one of the top 4 luxury brands in the world in just 20 years. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see unit sales of the 2020 LS 500 be half what they were in 2015.

But like I said. I've ordered one primarily because my 2010 460L has 260,000 miles on it, and there just isn't anything else on the market that I like these days, so I'm opting to stick with Lexus quality and reliability. My only alternative was the Gensis G90, and it was that test drive that convinced me that the LS was the way to go. I don't know who's paying off those youtube reviewers who rate the G90 higher than the LS or even the Mercedes E class. This car isn't even in the same league as the LS/S-Class/7 Series/A8/XJ.

So I hope I can adjust to the 500 from my 460L. If not, I'll drive it for a year or two, and then give the 2020 Audi A8 a shot. The 2019 re-design looks phenomenal.

I'll post my first impressions of the 500 after a couple of weeks driving it.

Last edited by dsc07; 03-03-18 at 11:29 PM.
highrev6 (03-14-18)
Old 03-04-18, 02:41 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 463 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by franklexus
I just bought one. Traded in my 2014 Lexus LS 460 for it. First impressions are that the cabin is quieter than my outgoing LS (much less wind noise and road noise) but the engine note is disappointing. It sounds rough to me and for some reason, the car feels not as powerful compared to the LS 460. I think that could be due to turbo-lag.
Just what I thought when I purchased my 4GS.
I thought 4GS cruised noticeably more quietly than 3GS, but the 3.5L V6 is the roughest idling and at wide throttle openings, it is coarsest revving V6 I've owned in the past 30 years.
Luckily, around town, the 3.5 V6 is silky smooth, with less direct injection click/clatter than old 3GS.

My wife has an IS200t, and it is strange at small throttle openings around town - it feels lethargic, and the engine has a tiring drone - I'm not sure if the new 3.5L V6 TT also has some type of Atkinson Cycle working at small throttle openings and low RPM causing the lethargy and drone???

However, the IS200t has amazing engine mounts such that it idles almost perfectly, and an amazing amount of firewall insulation for tombstone quietness at idle.
At full throttle, the IS200t is both powerful, and so much smoother, and as smooth as a four cylinder can be.

Had my wife test driven the IS200t more thoroughly, she would have gotten IS350.
Neither engine is perfect, but day to day, the V6's character suits her better.

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-04-18 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-04-18, 07:42 AM
franklexus
Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Just what I thought when I purchased my 4GS.
I thought 4GS cruised noticeably more quietly than 3GS, but the 3.5L V6 is the roughest idling and at wide throttle openings, it is coarsest revving V6 I've owned in the past 30 years.
Luckily, around town, the 3.5 V6 is silky smooth, with less direct injection click/clatter than old 3GS.

My wife has an IS200t, and it is strange at small throttle openings around town - it feels lethargic, and the engine has a tiring drone - I'm not sure if the new 3.5L V6 TT also has some type of Atkinson Cycle working at small throttle openings and low RPM causing the lethargy and drone???

However, the IS200t has amazing engine mounts such that it idles almost perfectly, and an amazing amount of firewall insulation for tombstone quietness at idle.
At full throttle, the IS200t is both powerful, and so much smoother, and as smooth as a four cylinder can be.

Had my wife test driven the IS200t more thoroughly, she would have gotten IS350.
Neither engine is perfect, but day to day, the V6's character suits her better.
Your description above really nailed it! That's what I feel about the TT V6 as well. One good thing though is that the direct injection ticking is completely gone now and gear shifts are almost imperceptible.
Old 03-04-18, 07:44 AM
franklexus
Driver

Originally Posted by dsc07

But like I said. I've ordered one primarily because my 2010 460L has 260,000 miles on it, and there just isn't anything else on the market that I like these days, so I'm opting to stick with Lexus quality and reliability. My only alternative was the Gensis G90, and it was that test drive that convinced me that the LS was the way to go. I don't know who's paying off those youtube reviewers who rate the G90 higher than the LS or even the Mercedes E class. This car isn't even in the same league as the LS/S-Class/7 Series/A8/XJ.

So I hope I can adjust to the 500 from my 460L. If not, I'll drive it for a year or two, and then give the 2020 Audi A8 a shot. The 2019 re-design looks phenomenal.

I'll post my first impressions of the 500 after a couple of weeks driving it.
I was also interested in the Genesis, mainly due to its reportedly quiet interior, but never got round to testing one. How does its cabin noise compare with the LS?

Quick Reply: Who is buying the new LS?