LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Lexus out of Warranty repairs vs Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 07:14 AM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
LEXCTJill, Interesting response. "Not everyone is concerned about reliability"? " High income individuals generally have the resources for repairs outside of warranty as well. ?"

Not sure what experience or knowledge you have of this, but just because people have money doesn't mean they want to waste it on expensive repairs. Why do you have 3 Toyota's instead of high end luxury cars unless you are not one of those High Income Individuals you seem to know so much about?

Unless living in your parents basement gives you excessive resources?
WOW lol are you really that upset lol
Old 03-22-18, 07:22 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the statement as a slam against me that I don't have the resources for a Lexus to be repaired out of warranty. LEXCTJill knows nothing about me or my finances, or I would guess the finances of most luxury car owners. My original question was only about the repair costs for an Audi A8. Not sure why they turned it into a financial resources debate.
Old 03-22-18, 07:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
I took the statement as a slam against me that I don't have the resources for a Lexus to be repaired out of warranty. LEXCTJill knows nothing about me or my finances, or I would guess the finances of most luxury car owners. My original question was only about the repair costs for an Audi A8. Not sure why they turned it into a financial resources debate.
It was not a slam against you at all. Sorry if you felt that way. I was just pointing out that protecting oneself against future repairs of an Audi A8 for example are outweighed by the costs of having to purchase a new A8 after the warranty or let’s say extended warranty runs out. For example, my 4Runner and My husbands LX450 are well past the warranty period, but fixing them when they break (my 4Runner just needed a repair before Christmas) is far easier and cheaper to do than trading on for a new 4Runner at this point. That is all I was trying to say. So if one buys a $100,000 A8 and keeps it for 10-15 years, should they not come out ahead assuming they didn’t spend another $100K after year 7 when the warranty runs out? You might as just lease.

But in no no way was I trying to take a dig at you. And sorry if you felt that way. Its the internet and its hard to come across on what you really are trying to say I guess.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-22-18 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 08:18 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I also have sources within Lexus corporate and Lexus finance, the numbers you are talking about are from the last couple years, not historically for the LS. All the numbers i have seen and been given for lease rates on the LS have been well over 50% when you go back to a time when the LS is not as old as it was. Having leased two LS460s recently the lease numbers werent very good, and the lease payments wound up being very close to finance payments, hence why people didn’t lease. I did but only for business reasons. Numbers on the LS500 will be different, or it won’t succeed.

When they sell 4k LSs that haven’t been redone in 10 years yeah they are mostly bought. When they sold 35k LSs a year they were mostly leased. Their sales goals are to be #2 in the segment, to do that they have to go back to mostly being leases. Also remember their goal is to capture new buyers at the expense of their long time legacy buyers, to do that they need to be mostly lease.

LS500 will be 60%+ leased not bought. Those are Lexus’ projections. LS400, LS430 and older LS460 were all also over 50% lease.

When you say “average time people buy new cars is after 3 years” you actually make my point for me. Reliability isn’t the most important factor to most buyers, and most buyers don’t buy the LS and keep it for 100-150k miles.
It's ok to have an option. But your 'facts" are most inaccurate. And off topic. Sorry. No offense meant, and it wasn't a debate. Reliability is the strong reason for buying Lexus LS over the A8 as was the topic. The return of cars around 3 years has nothing to do with either, if check how long average time is of people owning a car.
Old 03-22-18, 09:47 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm all for reliability. I like to buy used cars and keep them until they start getting problematic. My last car cost me $114/month over six years, which is a lot less than leasing a similar car would have cost.

I like some of the German cars, but then you hear about $57k repair bills - https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-57000-repair/
Old 03-22-18, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239
I'm all for reliability. I like to buy used cars and keep them until they start getting problematic. My last car cost me $114/month over six years, which is a lot less than leasing a similar car would have cost.
But again we're discussing the purchase of new $100k luxury sedans in a forum of a brand new model that just came out.

I think the question is, will it be as cheap to maintain? The answer is no. The other question however is, are the potential repair costs 6-7 years down the line or longer really enough to significantly sway your buying decision on a $100,000 luxury sedan? Personally for me it doesn't even factor in, its all about an acquisition cost vs value vs what vehicle I like the best. Like Jill said I don't know that worrying about that makes sense when spending this kind of money.
Old 03-22-18, 05:49 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But again we're discussing the purchase of new $100k luxury sedans in a forum of a brand new model that just came out.

I think the question is, will it be as cheap to maintain? The answer is no. The other question however is, are the potential repair costs 6-7 years down the line or longer really enough to significantly sway your buying decision on a $100,000 luxury sedan? Personally for me it doesn't even factor in, its all about an acquisition cost vs value vs what vehicle I like the best. Like Jill said I don't know that worrying about that makes sense when spending this kind of money.
True, if I were buying new, I wouldn't care about that. If the car had issues, I'd just trade it when the warranty ran out.
Old 03-23-18, 02:46 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 778 Likes on 671 Posts

My personal opinion is that reliability coincides with used car sale value. For example older bmw's lets say the early 2002-08 3 series vs 7 series, the 7 series had faults with bad electronics, and bad wiring. So much so that the prices of 7 series dropped significantly. But the 3 series did not have as many faults!

Nowadays you can purchase a used 3 series for about the same price as a luxury 7 series. A 2008 Lexus IS250 resale value is higher then both.

Sure someone buying a brand new car most likely will not have huge issues as far as reliability, but when it comes time to sell that low mileage Audi. You will most likely lose a lot of the cars value compared to buying a car that is known to be more reliable.
Old 03-23-18, 05:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1

Nowadays you can purchase a used 3 series for about the same price as a luxury 7 series. A 2008 Lexus IS250 resale value is higher then both.

Luxury cars always depreciate faster. Most people lease so there will be more cars coming off lease which brings down the demand putting downward pressure on the prices. Eventually that high priced Audi and that lower priced Camry will meet at some point in their respective used car values.

There is no logical financial sense to buying a high end car. Keeping a luxury car as long as you can is the only way to minimize ownership costs.
Old 03-23-18, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
My personal opinion is that reliability coincides with used car sale value. For example older bmw's lets say the early 2002-08 3 series vs 7 series, the 7 series had faults with bad electronics, and bad wiring. So much so that the prices of 7 series dropped significantly. But the 3 series did not have as many faults!

Sure someone buying a brand new car most likely will not have huge issues as far as reliability, but when it comes time to sell that low mileage Audi. You will most likely lose a lot of the cars value compared to buying a car that is known to be more reliable.
One of the big reasons why most luxury cars are leased. Companies like BMW for instance set their leases up so that 7 Series costs the same or less than the LS to lease despite the LS holding its value better.

Audi doesn’t do this, and their leases are terrible. BMW and MB however do.