LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Lexus out of Warranty repairs vs Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 07:50 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus out of Warranty repairs vs Audi A8

After seeing and driving the LS 500, I will need to consider other brands. With the smaller cabin size, no pass thru V6 and other concerns, I was thinking of waiting for the new A8 in the fall.

I usually keep my cars past the extended warranties, so a BMW or MB are out due to the out of warranty service costs. Does anyone have experience with Audi A8 out of warranty service costs? Are they more like Lexus or higher like BMW or MB.

One thing that drove me to Lexus was their great cars and service prices more like Toyota than the Germans.

I might even wait for the new ES just to see if the cabin room, especially headroom is better. I love my LS 430 and my wife's GS 350 but think Lexus made a major mistake with the LS
Old 03-13-18, 01:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Audis aren't "unreliable" but they are very expensive to repair, Audi has a proprietary on board diagnostic system that requires special equipment.

Bottom line no luxury car can be as cheap to repair as a Lexus, because at its core the Lexus is a Toyota. At the end of the day you can really let anybody work on a Lexus, with an Audi, BMW or Mercedes its going to be more specialized which will drive up costs.

I mean, if I needed to any gas station could repair my Lexus.
Old 03-13-18, 05:49 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

I was hoping because Audi is owned by VW it might be more like Lexus/Toyota repair prices
Old 03-13-18, 07:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
I was hoping because Audi is owned by VW it might be more like Lexus/Toyota repair prices
Not at all, actually VWs themselves are not cheap at all to repair or maintain. I would say a VW actually is more expensive to maintain than a Lexus.
Old 03-14-18, 04:30 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

My mechanic friend had an Audi A4 in for a new timing belt when I dropped off my car one day. He showed me the pile of parts that needed to be replaced, and said it was $4400 at his cost. He also had to buy a special tool to hold the crankshaft in place while removing the timing belt, and he said it had to torqued back to some ridiculous setting, so high that he thought the tool might break off in the crankshaft, which means stripping the engine to remove it. He said he would probably charge $1200 for the job, but he never wants to do another one.
Old 03-14-18, 07:09 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Look at Genesis too. They should be in the same ballpark as Lexus in repairs.
Old 03-14-18, 07:54 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After seeing and driving the LS 500, I will need to consider other brands. With the smaller cabin size, no pass thru V6 and other concerns, I was thinking of waiting for the new A8 in the fall.

I usually keep my cars past the extended warranties, so a BMW or MB are out due to the out of warranty service costs. Does anyone have experience with Audi A8 out of warranty service costs? Are they more like Lexus or higher like BMW or MB.

One thing that drove me to Lexus was their great cars and service prices more like Toyota than the Germans.

I might even wait for the new ES just to see if the cabin room, especially headroom is better. I love my LS 430 and my wife's GS 350 but think Lexus made a major mistake with the LS
I agree with you completely on the LS being a batch of compromises. I have had the same thoughts with the upcoming ES. It undoubtedly will NOT have the fit and finish of the LS, but WILL be a more 'baked' product as they make many more of them, it's more profitable, and rides on the trusted Avalon architectures, research and development. The ES will most certainly get better technology than the LS, CarPlay this year, etc. The ES likely to be larger, more open, smoother and quieter (less sporty) ride, but you trade off flagship bargain rites, and some visible cuts in cost. I've thought the current ES is 85% of a 2007 generation LS at half the cost. Genesis is another thought to check out. The A8 will not be cheap to maintain, though a good independent mechanic could help offset this.

Last edited by kellens; 03-14-18 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Is this more a "let''s bash" the LS because I don't like it or is the out of warranty concern really the issue?

Never understood why people who buy a $100,000 would complain about the repairs once the vehicle gets to 100K miles plus. Let's say the $100K car is paid off after 5 years and there was an extended warranty. After year 8, presumably the warranty lasted that long, the option to buy a new $100K car far exceeds the cost of having to repair the existing car....So you still have anywhere from lets $5000-$100,000 that you did not spend a new $100K car assuming year 8 to year 15 costs you $5000 in repairs.
Old 03-17-18, 04:59 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd probably hang on for the next ES. You don't want an A8 when it has aged out of any type of warranty, or any high end German 3 for that matter. If you like your LS430 than you might like the G90.
Old 03-17-18, 06:58 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

There is a lot to like about the LS500 but the lack of head room is a big deal for me. I am 5'10" but I regularly have adults 6'2" and 6' 3" in the car and it's kind of embarrassing to have them scrunch down in the car. We have a 2013 GS too and while it seems tight in the width there is plenty of head room.

I only drove the LS500 once but it also seemed that it was harder to get into.

I get that Lexus was going for a more sporty car and I actually like that but not sure I get them making less headroom than their other much cheaper cars.

Does anyone here with an LS500 think there is enough headroom front and rear that is over 6 feet? Again I only drove the car once but I also thought with the front seat down there is not much room for your feet
Old 03-17-18, 07:58 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

There is a lot to like about the LS500 but the lack of head room is a big deal for me. I am 5'10" but I regularly have adults 6'2" and 6' 3" in the car and it's kind of embarrassing to have them scrunch down in the car. We have a 2013 GS too and while it seems tight in the width there is plenty of head room.

Does anyone here with an LS500 think there is enough headroom front and rear that is over 6 feet? Again I only drove the car once but I also thought with the front seat down there is not much room for your feet
Try an LS without the Panorama roof. I'm 6'7" and I don't fit with the Panorama roof, but there is enough room in both front and back with the standard roof. Still not as much as my 460, but the extra .8 inches made all the difference for me.
Old 03-18-18, 06:46 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

I know what you mean on the panorama roof. I sat in the back and my head was hitting the ceiling. Maybe they were using shorter people to figure out the headroom but they really misjudged it for the US market
Old 03-18-18, 01:35 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Talking

VW - reliable...???
Old 03-20-18, 08:22 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Audis aren't "unreliable" but they are very expensive to repair, Audi has a proprietary on board diagnostic system that requires special equipment.

Bottom line no luxury car can be as cheap to repair as a Lexus, because at its core the Lexus is a Toyota. At the end of the day you can really let anybody work on a Lexus, with an Audi, BMW or Mercedes its going to be more specialized which will drive up costs.

I mean, if I needed to any gas station could repair my Lexus.
You are 100% right. However its not just the cost of repair... its the need to repair. Highly likely a Lexus will reach 100k+ miles with just maintenance vs a Audi will have failures of some sort.

Lets not pretend here... if MB or Audi was as reliable as a Lexus many of us would probably be hanging on in the other forums instead.
Old 03-20-18, 02:47 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reposado2
Lets not pretend here... if MB or Audi was as reliable as a Lexus many of us would probably be hanging on in the other forums instead.
Quote of the month. Very true. Lexus buyers tend not to be as in need of the German status emblem on the car, and find appeal in reliability. That said, I'd pay $80k for LS500, and $160k for equally reliable and equipped S class, even minus the emblem, such a beast doesn't exist. A back to back ride in the S class with air suspension and magic body control and the LS500 is astonishing. The S class is easily twice the car....but I have been stranded roadside and with irritations of maintenance with too many German vehicles to visit that again though.

Last edited by kellens; 03-20-18 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus out of Warranty repairs vs Audi A8