LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Scathing Review LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 08:31 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

A touchscreen has to be located in a place where the driver can touch it. When the interior design moves the screen up and closer to the windshield (where it's easier to read), it can't be a touchscreen any more, and we are left with mouse-substitutes.
Old 03-28-18, 09:05 PM
8spd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Lexus is never going to walk back on that.

Personally it doesn’t bother me.
Never say never. Apple CarPlay is officially coming to Toyota and Lexus vehicle, starting with the new Corolla and RAV4.

On the hardware side of things, the touchpad and the trackpad are just terrible design and implementation. Cadillac had a similar touchpad on the CT6 that they are switching to a rotating **** based interface for MY2019. Automaker should really stop doubling down on stupid ideas that doesn't work.
Old 03-28-18, 09:23 PM
8spd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfischer
A touchscreen has to be located in a place where the driver can touch it. When the interior design moves the screen up and closer to the windshield (where it's easier to read), it can't be a touchscreen any more, and we are left with mouse-substitutes.
Then at least choose a pointing device and implement the menu design that are suitable for the automotive application. You are also assuming that the driver is the only user of the said infotainment system. Which is why separate and intuitive physical climate controls are ideal, not just for the driver where quick access to minimize distraction is important, but also for the passenger.

It is a good idea to offer redundant user controls. You can have touch screen, plus physical controller accessible in the middle by both the passenger and driver, and some controls on the steering wheel. See BMW 5 and 7 series. Actually BMW even added gesture control on top of all that, which I think is too gimmicky. Mercedes still don't like touchscreen, but Audi is adapting.

Frankly I am shocked that Toyota hasn't found and hired someone that knows the basics of Human Computer Interaction for such a long time.
Old 03-29-18, 04:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by 8spd
Never say never. Apple CarPlay is officially coming to Toyota and Lexus vehicle, starting with the new Corolla and RAV4.

On the hardware side of things, the touchpad and the trackpad are just terrible design and implementation. Cadillac had a similar touchpad on the CT6 that they are switching to a rotating **** based interface for MY2019. Automaker should really stop doubling down on stupid ideas that doesn't work.
I will say never lol. Lexus will NEVER allow use of their system fully while moving. Never. People have been *****ing about this for 20 years. Never going to happen.
Old 04-02-18, 02:18 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I will say never lol. Lexus will NEVER allow use of their system fully while moving. Never. People have been *****ing about this for 20 years. Never going to happen.
It's happing, as they have to if they want to remain competitive. The 2019 new RAV4 has a lot less 'blocking'. Full access to CarPlay Nav and features, and Entune works with less grey out, and ability to enter address on the drive.
Old 04-02-18, 03:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kellens
It's happing, as they have to if they want to remain competitive. The 2019 new RAV4 has a lot less 'blocking'. Full access to CarPlay Nav and features, and Entune works with less grey out, and ability to enter address on the drive.
I'll have to see that to believe it. I've owned and currently own other cars with similar blocking, Lexus isn't alone there.
Old 04-02-18, 03:27 PM
kellens
Pole Position

I'll have to see that to believe it. I've owned and currently own other cars with similar blocking, Lexus isn't alone there.
Some humans even when seeing things don't believe it. But, it exists! It's still on display at the NY International Auto show. Go check it out and speak with the reps!
Old 04-02-18, 05:23 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Drove LX and a Cayenne in addition to the LS. Now have a Cayenne in the garage. The electronics and performance are simply no match for the Cayenne. I still have a 2011 LX in the garage keeping the Cayenne company.
Old 04-03-18, 03:13 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Drove LX and a Cayenne in addition to the LS. Now have a Cayenne in the garage. The electronics and performance are simply no match for the Cayenne. I still have a 2011 LX in the garage keeping the Cayenne company.
Congrats! Enjoy! Porche has really come a long way in reliability as well.
Old 04-03-18, 02:51 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE

Anyone that has a unbiased open mind - and cross shops the LS (or LX) ... instantly knows how lacking LEXUS is.
Old 04-03-18, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfea
Anyone that has a unbiased open mind - and cross shops the LS (or LX) ... instantly knows how lacking LEXUS is.
I don’t feel they’re lacking really in any area but infotainment and technology. That’s an area where Lexus has always lacked.

You know people can disagree with you without being “biased and closed minded”. Your opinion isn’t the gold standard.
Old 04-05-18, 03:41 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I don’t feel they’re lacking really in any area but infotainment and technology. That’s an area where Lexus has always lacked.

You know people can disagree with you without being “biased and closed minded”. Your opinion isn’t the gold standard.

And for sure - neither is yours
Old 04-05-18, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfea
And for sure - neither is yours
If you notice I keep saying "I think" and "to me" and "in my opinion".

And in any event, the LS500 was #2 in the segment handily outselling everything but the S Class last month, so clearly to enough people its not an issue.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-05-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-05-18, 06:52 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This must be hard for Lexus to admit, but the Dodge infotainment system called uConnect is perhaps the best on the market today. Based on garmin, it's very easy to use and very intuitive. All touch screen. And the new version now available on the new RAM trucks is even better, with a giant screen. The german systems aren't bad either but they're obviously more complicated to use.

As for the new LS as a car, they lost me when they ditched the V8. If the the Asian luxury option is a only offered as a V6, Lexus makes me think the new Acura RLX is a better option for much less money.
Old 04-05-18, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The uConnect is really good I agree. Have you seen the second gen big screen uConnect that’s coming in the new Ram?

Quick Reply: Scathing Review LS500h