LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Scathing Review LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 12:40 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Scathing Review LS500h

There are some less than flattering reviews of the new LS.
This one has to be one of the most damning..

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/193...-just-wont-die

Ok - I love my Lexus(s) ... but I can't argue with some of his points...ouch.

Center stack navigation?
"....the single worst, most distracting, downright hazardous interface in the entire industry."

Interior styling?
"... the most egregious bit of over-accessorizing.....Like some piece of art-fair junk..."
"...*****...gratuitous weirdness....like bolts in the Frankenstein monster’s neck..."

And the Kiroko Glass and pleated fabric trim?
"I thought it looked more like Barbie’s Magic Makeup Mirror."

10-speed transmission?
"a very bad 10-speed transmission, one which serves up the disconnected, rubber-bandy feel of a CVT."

Hybrid engine?
"....this LS sedan will feel infinitely healthier with this hybrid tumor surgically removed..."

Ahhh come on - Tell us how you really feel!
Frankly I think there are some valid points.
The hybrid system (Just 15 minutes in the LS500 for me, but thousands of miles in a 2017 RX450h) sucks.
The controls for the center stack are the worst.
The 10-speed transmission does hunt around.

Comments?

Last edited by xfea; 03-18-18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-18-18, 07:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting to see the LS called out. Infotainment and lack of plug in seem to be the most serious problem to me.
Old 03-19-18, 03:31 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
There are some less than flattering reviews of the new LS.
This one has to be one of the most damning..

http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/193...-just-wont-die

Ok - I love my Lexus(s) ... but I can't argue with some of his points...ouch.

Center stack navigation?
"....the single worst, most distracting, downright hazardous interface in the entire industry."

Interior styling?
"... the most egregious bit of over-accessorizing.....Like some piece of art-fair junk..."
"...*****...gratuitous weirdness....like bolts in the Frankenstein monster’s neck..."

And the Kiroko Glass and pleated fabric trim?
"I thought it looked more like Barbie’s Magic Makeup Mirror."

10-speed transmission?
"a very bad 10-speed transmission, one which serves up the disconnected, rubber-bandy feel of a CVT."

Hybrid engine?
"....this LS sedan will feel infinitely healthier with this hybrid tumor surgically removed..."

Ahhh come on - Tell us how you really feel!
Frankly I think there are some valid points.
The hybrid system (Just 15 minutes in the LS500 for me, but thousands of miles in a 2017 RX450h) sucks.
The controls for the center stack are the worst.
The 10-speed transmission does hunt around.

Comments?
I belive the review was harshly written, but agree, some valid points, the LS500's infotainment is not good and years behind for even an economy level new car. He didn't overstate how bad that is. Any jabs at the 'prettiness' of the interior I don't understand, it's the car's main attribute, to look at it. I have not tried the hybrid LS yet, so I can't chime in there. The car will not sell well IMO except to the most loyal LS buyers, not that sedan's are breaking the sales charts. Lexus at one time beat Mercedes and others in their flagship sedan, but that day is gone. I think they let the prior LS get too long in the tooth for a redesign to stay relevant. The S class is IMO (as well as proven by sales volumes) worth it's 20% higher cost now, a ride in it's air suspension, or the Audi A8 (both which come with optional magic body control) and then the LS500 it feels like the S could be worth triple if they only nailed it's somewhat riskier reliability and cost fear factor outside of a warranty. Other alternatives like Genesis have a golden opportunity here for the budget luxury sedan shopper with reliability in mind.

Last edited by kellens; 03-19-18 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-19-18, 05:26 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 265 Likes on 193 Posts

Lexus better get it together with the infotainment issues if they want to attract young buyers like they seem to be trying to do with the rest of the car. That can be a deal breaker. Very surprising that they can't seem to figure that one out. As for the rest, hybrid versions of vehicles are always polarizing. No surprise a car reviewer wouldn't like it. It's a specific buyer that knows it's shortcomings going in.
Old 03-21-18, 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Lexus better get it together with the infotainment issues if they want to attract young buyers like they seem to be trying to do with the rest of the car. That can be a deal breaker. Very surprising that they can't seem to figure that one out. As for the rest, hybrid versions of vehicles are always polarizing. No surprise a car reviewer wouldn't like it. It's a specific buyer that knows it's shortcomings going in.
I agree. If the rest of the competition do touchscreen or gesture, Lexus should follow them. I sometimes think Lexus has done the infotaiment screen the way they do it on purpose.
Old 03-21-18, 01:43 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. If the rest of the competition do touchscreen or gesture, Lexus should follow them. I sometimes think Lexus has done the infotaiment screen the way they do it on purpose.
My 2010 460L has a touchscreen. I honestly don't understand why Lexus moved away from it. A service rep. once told me it was because customer's were getting pissed off when they went bad and were told it would cost Six Grand to replace them. I don't buy that argument. That joystick was actually the main thing that kept me from getting a 2015/16/17 model, so I waited for the LS 500. We'll see how bad the touchpad is when it gets here next week.
Old 03-21-18, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Lets put it this way, when have you ever seen a touchscreen go bad on CL? If "touchscreens went bad all the time and they were $6k to replace" it would be all over the forum, It isn't. The reason they went away from the touchscreen is styling, thats all. They can design the dash differently with a joystick/controller type setup.

The "joystick" in my LS460 and the "touchpad" in the LS500 are exactly the same. The only difference is its a touchpad moved cursor vs a joystick moved cursor. Think mouse trapped vs physical mouse, same basic thing. Once you get used to it its no big deal.
Old 03-21-18, 03:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The "joystick" in my LS460 and the "touchpad" in the LS500 are exactly the same. The only difference is its a touchpad moved cursor vs a joystick moved cursor. Think mouse trapped vs physical mouse, same basic thing. Once you get used to it its no big deal.
You might get used to it, but turning things on such as heated seats or vent controls become a two or three step process. I think that is what the issue is. The heated seats in the LC or LS make no logical sense. Some redundancy would correct all this.
Old 03-21-18, 03:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You might get used to it, but turning things on such as heated seats or vent controls become a two or three step process. I think that is what the issue is. The heated seats in the LC or LS make no logical sense. Some redundancy would correct all this.
That I agree with entirely. The Chrysler uConnect system we have in the Pacifica and had in the Jeep is the same way and its really annoying.

I think Lexus' thought was everybody would just leave those features on "AUTO" and wouldn't be adjusting them all the time, my LS460 has auto function for them as well but I still routinely set them myself.
Old 03-21-18, 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That I agree with entirely. The Chrysler uConnect system we have in the Pacifica and had in the Jeep is the same way and its really annoying.

I think Lexus' thought was everybody would just leave those features on "AUTO" and wouldn't be adjusting them all the time, my LS460 has auto function for them as well but I still routinely set them myself.
Honestly, the only alternative that I can think of is that Lexus has purposely done this to their controls. Their intention is to make things more complicated. I say that because Toyota and since the inception of Lexus has always had straightforward and easy to use controls and gauges. It is one of their hallmarks. How on Earth could Lexus now all of a sudden forget how to make things easy to use?

I also believe that something that is too critic proof and positive does not always mean the best sales. The most critically acclaimed movies don't always perform best. The best reviewed cars also do not always have stellar sales numbers. Same with best feature or spec content.
Old 03-23-18, 03:34 AM
Nospinzone

Received 426 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc07
My 2010 460L has a touchscreen. I honestly don't understand why Lexus moved away from it...............That joystick was actually the main thing that kept me from getting a 2015/16/17 model, so I waited for the LS 500..
Agree, I love the touchscreen.
Old 03-23-18, 07:22 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In Asia the LS350 is the only engine variant offered in some countries. It’s likely aimed at upgraders from the GS who won’t want to stretch to an S-Class, or to maybe as an outlying competitor to small engined German flagship models that are not sold in the US.

If one compares the LS with GS class cars, the LS doesn’t fare too badly....improvement in several areas actually, including rear leg room, so it is a worthy upgrade. In fact, one wonders if this car would eventually substitute the GS in the future, at least in the Asia market where the GS seemed poorly positioned, and the ES highly successful.

The hybrid version seems to have received more bad reviews than good ones....even though one US magazine did give it some kind of an award. Shame that this is happening to a former Hybrid leader.

PS test drove the two Kia Stingers recently....amazing what they achieved. Finally there is a possible performance alternative to the German rivals. They drive great, with interior quality virtually on the par with some of the German rivals. They don’t have the badge yet, but neither did Lexus in 1990.
Old 03-23-18, 05:18 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Test drove a new LS this afternoon, and I have to pretty much agree with the OP. The interface is atrocious, and the performance isn't anywhere near what I have in my S8. I didn't expect the performance to match the S8, but it was really inferior. Performance it wasn't all that much better than the Q3 loaner I had while my S8 was in the shop for service.
The following users liked this post:
xfea (03-24-18)
Old 03-25-18, 09:37 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thinking of buying one but if Lexus hasn't stopped locking all the impt. functions once the car goes past 5mph - I swear, my current LS460 FSport will be the last Lexus I ever buy!

Hate that annoying feature
Old 03-25-18, 09:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus is never going to walk back on that.

Personally it doesn’t bother me.

Quick Reply: Scathing Review LS500h